PDA

View Full Version : Torrey Pines / La Jolla - What is really changing?

January 11th 09, 04:21 PM
Sat. a.m. in the San Diego Business Journal at:

http://www.sdbj.com/industry_article.asp?aID=86515808.5281488.1729078. 9093701.9204305.860&aID2=132997

Michael

BT
January 12th 09, 12:14 AM
New buildings encroach upon the airspace around the gliderport at Torrey
Pines.
Makes it more difficult to fly that traffic pattern.

> wrote in message
> Sat. a.m. in the San Diego Business Journal at:
>
> http://www.sdbj.com/industry_article.asp?aID=86515808.5281488.1729078. 9093701.9204305.860&aID2=132997
>
> Michael

Andy[_1_]
January 12th 09, 04:20 PM
On Jan 11, 5:14*pm, "BT" > wrote:
> Makes it more difficult to fly that traffic pattern.

When I flew there landings were straight in off the ocean to the cliff
top, downwind and uphill. No buildings in the way of doing that are
there? Did the landings change since then? I never flew there on a
very strong wind day.

Andy

January 12th 09, 06:21 PM
On Jan 12, 8:20*am, Andy > wrote:
> On Jan 11, 5:14*pm, "BT" > wrote:
>
> > Makes it more difficult to fly that traffic pattern.
>
> When I flew there landings were straight in off the ocean to the cliff
> top, downwind and uphill. *No buildings in the way of doing that are
> there? *Did the landings change since then? * I never flew there on a
> very strong wind day.
>
> Andy

Not sure what they mean by "re-aligning" the runway. There's not much
of a runway to speak of.

There are certain criterion that must be met to get certified as a
temporary airport, as Torrey Pines must be each season, displace
thresholds and unobstructed glide slopes, etc. They don't always
reflect how the site is used in practice.

Google