PDA

View Full Version : History

Nyal Williams[_2_]
January 12th 09, 07:00 PM
From Philip Wills' book, Free As A Bird. p.8

"At the end of the meeting Manyrol, flying a glider with two identical
wings fore and aft, with the pilot sitting between them, won the prize
with a duration of 3hr 21min ...."

That was in 1922. Can someone name this machine and point me to a picture
of it?

sisu1a
January 12th 09, 07:17 PM
> That was in 1922. *Can someone name this machine and point me to a picture
> of it?

It's undoubtedly the Peyret Tandem Wing. Used to have a great 1922
Aviation Magazine with it on the cover.

http://www.crowncoast.com/nest/weird_08_peyret.htm

http://www.jadu.de/luftfahrt/flugwesen/dersegelflug/Seiten/maneyrol_jpg.htm

http://www.planadoresjundiai.org.br/mtorretaEA_1.htm

-Paul

RRK
January 12th 09, 07:18 PM
On Jan 12, 2:00*pm, Nyal Williams > wrote:
> From Philip Wills' book, Free As A Bird. p.8
>
> "At the end of the meeting Manyrol, flying a glider with two identical
> wings fore and aft, with the pilot sitting between them, won the prize
> with a duration of 3hr 21min ...."
>
> That was in 1922. *Can someone name this machine and point me to a picture
> of it?

It happened in Itford, England. Pilot Alexis Maneyrol was flying in
Peyret Tandem. Two pictures and detailed drawings of this glider are
in Martin Simon Sailplanes 1920-1945 page21,23 and 24. Priceless
publication.

Nyal Williams[_2_]
January 12th 09, 09:00 PM
Can skomeone turn up a picture online?

At 19:18 12 January 2009, RRK wrote:
>On Jan 12, 2:00=A0pm, Nyal Williams wrote:
>> From Philip Wills' book, Free As A Bird. p.8
>>
>> "At the end of the meeting Manyrol, flying a glider with two
identical
>> wings fore and aft, with the pilot sitting between them, won the prize
>> with a duration of 3hr 21min ...."
>>
>> That was in 1922. =A0Can someone name this machine and point me to a
>pict=
>ure
>> of it?
>
>It happened in Itford, England. Pilot Alexis Maneyrol was flying in
>Peyret Tandem. Two pictures and detailed drawings of this glider are
>in Martin Simon Sailplanes 1920-1945 page21,23 and 24. Priceless
>publication.

Andy[_1_]
January 12th 09, 09:28 PM
On Jan 12, 2:00*pm, Nyal Williams > wrote:
> Can skomeone turn up a picture online?

I found pictures on sisu1a's links.

Perhaps "beating the air in submission" didn't originate with
helicopters.

Andy

Nyal Williams[_2_]
January 13th 09, 02:45 AM
Wow!!!

Three hours and twenty-one minutes in that contraption! Makes today's
pilots who want to do away with the five-hour flight look like wimps.

Look at the pictures on the links below.

At 19:17 12 January 2009, sisu1a wrote:

>> That was in 1922. =A0Can someone name this machine and point me to a
>pict=
>ure
>> of it?
>
>It's undoubtedly the Peyret Tandem Wing. Used to have a great 1922
>Aviation Magazine with it on the cover.
>
>http://www.crowncoast.com/nest/weird_08_peyret.htm
>
>http://www.jadu.de/luftfahrt/flugwesen/dersegelflug/Seiten/maneyrol_jpg.htm
>
>http://www.planadoresjundiai.org.br/mtorretaEA_1.htm
>
>-Paul

RRK
January 13th 09, 05:55 AM
> Three hours and twenty-one minutes in that contraption! *Makes today's
> pilots who want to do away with the five-hour flight look like wimps.

Well ,. Erlier in the week, the Englishman named Raynham had soared
for 2 hours. His glider, called the Brokker, was cobbled together from
an F2-B Bristol Fighter fuselage and Fokker D-8 wing.
RRK

Craig Lowrie
January 13th 09, 06:45 AM
At 05:55 13 January 2009, RRK wrote:

>> Three hours and twenty-one minutes in that contraption! =A0Makes
today's
>> pilots who want to do away with the five-hour flight look like wimps.
>
>Well ,. Erlier in the week, the Englishman named Raynham had soared
>for 2 hours. His glider, called the Brokker, was cobbled together from
>an F2-B Bristol Fighter fuselage and Fokker D-8 wing.
>RRK

There is some good film of the 1922 Itford meeting on
youtube... follow the link below.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sd-2RGM0SG8

The world's first recorded gain of height occured in 1909
at Amberley Mount and its 100th anniversary will be
celebrated at the Southdown Gliding Club this year
which is about a mile from where this histoic flight
took place. We plan to try and bungee a glider off the
same spot 100 years on !..

Craig Lowrie, Chairman, Southdown GC

www.sgc1.org

January 13th 09, 12:51 PM
Look carefully in the YouTube video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sd-2RGM0SG8
Near timemark 1:19, you can see the actual glider and the pilot. The
tail isn't in the frame, so it doesn't look that remarkable...
Uri

On Jan 13, 8:45*am, Craig Lowrie > wrote:
> At 05:55 13 January 2009, RRK wrote:
>

> >> Three hours and twenty-one minutes in that contraption! =A0Makes
> today's
> >> pilots who want to do away with the five-hour flight look like wimps.
>
> >Well ,. Erlier in the week, the Englishman named Raynham had soared
> >for 2 hours. His glider, called the Brokker, was cobbled together from
> >an F2-B Bristol Fighter fuselage and Fokker D-8 wing.
> >RRK
>
> There is some good film of the 1922 Itford meeting on
> youtube... follow the link below.
>
> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sd-2RGM0SG8
>
> The world's first recorded gain of height occured in 1909
> at Amberley Mount and its 100th anniversary will be
> celebrated at the Southdown Gliding Club this year
> which is about a mile from where this histoic flight
> took place. We plan to try and bungee a glider off the
> same spot 100 years on !..
>
> Craig Lowrie, Chairman, Southdown GC
>
> www.sgc1.org

Google