PDA

View Full Version : FYI - on display earlier this month at the Boston Museum of Science

TonyV[_2_]
January 15th 09, 03:44 AM
http://picasaweb.google.com/verhulst.tonyorsusan/Terrafugia#

Tony LS6-b "6N"

Tuno
January 15th 09, 01:48 PM
Described here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrafugia

January 16th 09, 04:58 PM
On Jan 15, 5:48*am, Tuno > wrote:
> Described here
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrafugia

Can you tow a glider trailer with it?

I don't think that canard is going to satisfy the low-speed collision
standards for auto bumpers.

9B

Tuno
January 16th 09, 04:59 PM
That's the great thing about standards, 9B -- there are so many of
them!

2NO

Darryl Ramm
January 16th 09, 05:16 PM
On Jan 16, 8:59*am, Tuno > wrote:
> That's the great thing about standards, 9B -- there are so many of
> them!
>
> 2NO

An alternative (dare I say better?) statement is "The nice thing about
standards is there are enough of them that everybody can have their
own" :-)

Darryl

Martin Gregorie[_4_]
January 16th 09, 05:54 PM
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:58:36 -0800, ablackburn6 wrote:

> On Jan 15, 5:48Â*am, Tuno > wrote:
>> Described here
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrafugia
>
> Can you tow a glider trailer with it?
>
> I don't think that canard is going to satisfy the low-speed collision
> standards for auto bumpers.

Maybe just as well. I haven't seen anything to indicate that there are
accelerometers in the canard or elevator, so at least if the flying
surfaces crumple you'll have visual indication that your Transition got
thumped while you were in the supermarket.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Eric Greenwell
January 16th 09, 07:59 PM
wrote:
> On Jan 15, 5:48 am, Tuno > wrote:
>> Described here
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrafugia
>
> Can you tow a glider trailer with it?
>
> I don't think that canard is going to satisfy the low-speed collision
> standards for auto bumpers.

Doesn't need to: the BSR parachute deploys, and a big white sheet
settles down over the accident. Not as effective as airbags, but more
fun for the onlookers.

I'm thinking that $200,000 would buy you a much better airplane and
several much better cars.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Google