PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy?

AK
January 20th 09, 01:28 AM
Does anyone know where to get thick felt for lining a tail wheel? It
should be around 3/16?

Bob Kuykendall
January 20th 09, 01:40 AM
On Jan 19, 5:28*pm, AK > wrote:
> Does anyone know where to get thick felt for lining a tail wheel? It
> should be around 3/16?

McMaster-Carr aircraft supplies

Bob K.

Steve Leonard[_2_]
January 20th 09, 01:45 AM
http://www.centralshippee.com/

They have high quality synthetic stuff, various thicknesses, with or
without pressure sensative adhesive backing.

Steve Leonard
a Happy Central Shippee Customer

bildan
January 20th 09, 01:47 AM
On Jan 19, 6:28*pm, AK > wrote:
> Does anyone know where to get thick felt for lining a tail wheel? It
> should be around 3/16?

I found it at a gasket materials company. Felt is used in industrial
applications as a gasket, gland or shaft packing material.
For example: http://www.arbanassi.com/english/products/tepanifiltsi.htm#1

For tail dolly lining, you need industrial pressed gasket felt. Felt
used for clothing is too soft.

Steve Koerner
January 20th 09, 03:55 AM
My supplier of choice is Sutherland Felt at 248-280-0450.

On Wing Riggers I am using a dense SAE F7 grade material that is 80%
wool.

This material is also available at www.mcmaster.com. Though McMaster
is more expensive, it may be more convenient to buy small quantity
from them.

It might also be of interest to tell you that I did trials with a
number of different adhesives. I found polyurethane adhesive to be
by far the best because it soaks a little ways into the felt and
provides a very solid grip. Gorrilla Glue is one brand of
polyurethane adhesive.

Steve Koerner
www.wingrigger.com

AK
January 21st 09, 12:37 AM
Thank you to all who responded.

Andy[_1_]
January 21st 09, 12:18 PM
On Jan 19, 6:28*pm, AK > wrote:
> Does anyone know where to get thick felt for lining a tail wheel? It
> should be around 3/16?

Tail wheels are the same size as the front wheels on many wheel
chairs. Wheel chair suppliers used to sell flexible plastic liners
for puncture protection. I used one for many years and never had a
flat.

I did not buy them for the new glider and don't know if they are still
available.

Andy

Google