PDA

View Full Version : TO RULES COMMETTEE PLEASE READ – Nationals no ballast day

AK
January 24th 09, 11:52 PM
Nationals can now declare a “No ballast” day without all pilots
agreeing.

A motor glider or a heavy glider will have a considerable advantage
especially on a good day if this rule is not modified.

Here is an example, imagine Diana 2 (420 lb empty with instruments)
competing with ASG-29 15 m (620 lb empty with instruments). A no water
day was called.

Wing loading for each glider in a typical configuration (180 lb pilot
weight)

Diana 2 – 6.45 lb/sq foot.
ASG-29 15 m – 8.08 lb/sq foot

Diana 2 pilot does not have a chance. This glider needs some water to
fly at the same wing loading as other heavier gliders. There are more
examples I could give but I think my point is clear.

Please put a restriction on wing loading for those days when no tow
pilot wants to tow a fully loaded glider rather than declaring a “No
ballast day”

The intention of this rule was good no one wants to loose a day, but
please don't create losers.

AK

Karl Striedieck
January 26th 09, 10:51 PM
If you read the rules you will find that it is the ASH-26 that is at a
competitive disadvantage at a no-water contest, not the Diana.

This is because the lighter gliders are allowed to add fixed ballast, while
the heavier machines have no way to get rid of it. In a weak weather contest
the Diana has the advantage while the 26 grovels, but in a strong weather
contest they are equal.

Point two: The rules for nationals provide for a no-water day to be called
only for compelling circumstances, that is to say weak. Here again, the
lighter glider would be at an advantage.

Karl Striedieck

"AK" > wrote in message
[...]

January 28th 09, 02:57 AM
On Jan 26, 2:51*pm, "Karl Striedieck" > wrote:
> If you read the rules you will find that it is the ASH-26 that is at a
> competitive disadvantage at a no-water contest, not the Diana.
>
> This is because the lighter gliders are allowed to add fixed ballast, while
> the heavier machines have no way to get rid of it. In a weak weather contest
> the Diana has the advantage while the 26 grovels, but in a strong weather
> contest they are equal.

I really hate the idea of fixed ballast in the cockpit (aside from my
sorry butt). Can I put it in the wings if I tape the dump valve
closed?

Karl invented the ultimate "no ballast" glider - the ASW-17...er...15.
You guys with four panel wings can always try flying with two panels
if you want to bulk up. Note: I take no responsibility for anyone who
actually tries this.

9B

January 28th 09, 03:09 AM
On Jan 27, 6:57*pm, wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2:51*pm, "Karl Striedieck" > wrote:
>
> > If you read the rules you will find that it is the ASH-26 that is at a
> > competitive disadvantage at a no-water contest, not the Diana.
>
> > This is because the lighter gliders are allowed to add fixed ballast, while
> > the heavier machines have no way to get rid of it. In a weak weather contest
> > the Diana has the advantage while the 26 grovels, but in a strong weather
> > contest they are equal.
>
> I really hate the idea of fixed ballast in the cockpit (aside from my
> sorry butt). Can I put it in the wings if I tape the dump valve
> closed?
>
> Karl invented the ultimate "no ballast" glider - the ASW-17...er...15.
> You guys with four panel wings can always try flying with two panels
> if you want to bulk up. *Note: I take no responsibility for anyone who
> actually tries this.
>
> 9B

Correction - I'm already over the handicap weight limit. The only
fixed ballast I can legally add is pasta.

9B

Andy[_1_]
January 28th 09, 06:10 PM
On Jan 27, 8:09*pm, wrote:
> Correction - I'm already over the handicap weight limit. The only
> fixed ballast I can legally add is pasta.

All this prompted me to read the ballast rules for FAI class
regionals. I need to check my W/B data this evening but I think I'm
close to the maximum handicap weight of 760lb for my ASW 28. With no
water in the tail tank I need to add nose trim weight to be at my best
CG for a no ballast contest. The trim weight is non disposable.

Do the rules allow me to add nose trim ballast to optimize CG even if
I'm over the maximum handicap weight?

How are the handicap weights derived? I find it hard to believe that
most US pilots are as light as I am. What would be the point of
having a handicap weight that most pilots exceed if there is no score
handicap applied? It seems that heavy pilots are not only allowed to
fly with no handicap disadvantage but are also allowed to add even
more weight in the tail.

Adding pasta is not an option for me. I like being at 165 lb.

Andy

Google