PDA

View Full Version : TO RULES COMMETTEE PLEASE READ – Nationals no ballast day

AK
January 24th 09, 11:59 PM
Nationals can now declare a “No ballast” day without all pilots
agreeing.

A motor glider or a heavy glider will have a considerable advantage
especially on a good day if this rule is not modified.

Here is an example, imagine Diana 2 (420 lb empty with instruments)
competing with ASG-29 15 m (620 lb empty with instruments). A no
water
day was called.

Wing loading for each glider in a typical configuration (180 lb pilot
weight)

Diana 2 – 6.45 lb/sq foot.
ASG-29 15 m – 8.08 lb/sq foot

Diana 2 pilot does not have a chance. This glider needs some water to
fly at the same wing loading as other heavier gliders. There are more
examples I could give but I think my point is clear.

Please put a restriction on wing loading for those days when no tow
pilot wants to tow a fully loaded glider rather than declaring a “No
ballast day”.

The intention of this rules was good no one wants to lose a day, but
please don't create losers.

AK

Google