PDA

View Full Version : Range of a given OxyAce tip

Michael Horowitz
January 25th 09, 03:48 PM
We know general instructions for chosing a tip, setting pressures,
lighting the torch and setting the Acetylene so that the flame is just
about to leave the tip. Then we add O2 until we get a flame with just
a little feather. Written instruction seems to stop there.

However, we know one can adjust the torch for a larger or smaller
neutral flame, so each tip has a range of useful flame sizes.
At the low end the torch makes no noise; one opens the torch and you
go thru a hissing sound, to the roar of a jet engine.

No one seems to discuss how to determine the upper end of this range.

Can someone discuss how to determine the upper range of a given tip
size? - Mike

Maxwell[_2_]
January 25th 09, 04:15 PM
"Michael Horowitz" > wrote in message
> We know general instructions for chosing a tip, setting pressures,
> lighting the torch and setting the Acetylene so that the flame is just
> about to leave the tip. Then we add O2 until we get a flame with just
> a little feather. Written instruction seems to stop there.
>
> However, we know one can adjust the torch for a larger or smaller
> neutral flame, so each tip has a range of useful flame sizes.
> At the low end the torch makes no noise; one opens the torch and you
> go thru a hissing sound, to the roar of a jet engine.
>
> No one seems to discuss how to determine the upper end of this range.
>
> Can someone discuss how to determine the upper range of a given tip
> size? - Mike

One consideration is gas velocity.

Operating tips in their upper range can help disperse the weld, and
especially brazing puddle. Sometimes this is desired, sometimes it's not.

Brian Whatcott
January 26th 09, 03:30 AM
Maxwell wrote:
> "Michael Horowitz" > wrote in message
>> We know general instructions for chosing a tip, setting pressures,
>> lighting the torch and setting the Acetylene so that the flame is just
>> about to leave the tip. Then we add O2 until we get a flame with just
>> a little feather. Written instruction seems to stop there.
>>
>> However, we know one can adjust the torch for a larger or smaller
>> neutral flame, so each tip has a range of useful flame sizes.
>> At the low end the torch makes no noise; one opens the torch and you
>> go thru a hissing sound, to the roar of a jet engine.
>>
>> No one seems to discuss how to determine the upper end of this range.
>>
>> Can someone discuss how to determine the upper range of a given tip
>> size? - Mike
>>

> One consideration is gas velocity.
>
> Operating tips in their upper range can help disperse the weld, and
> especially brazing puddle. Sometimes this is desired, sometimes it's not.

Yep, that's the way I see it too.
If you want more heat you turn up the gases. When the tip exit speed is
greater than the flame speed, you're done.

Brian W

Bob Murray
January 26th 09, 04:03 AM
"Brian Whatcott" > wrote in message
...>>
> Yep, that's the way I see it too.
> If you want more heat you turn up the gases. When the tip exit speed is
> greater than the flame speed, you're done.
>
> Brian W
Kent White www.tinmantech.com has an excellent essay on setting up torches;
start at max and adjust from there.
Bob