PDA

View Full Version : trailerable canard

jan olieslagers[_2_]
January 25th 09, 05:37 PM
Of the various 3-4 place canards derived from Burt Rutan's original,
(cosy, velocity, ...) are there any with wings easily folded/detached
for trailering?

I'd like to consider acquiring one, but hangarage is very unavailable
round here, so the bird would have to live on a trailer when not flying.

TIA,

Stealth Pilot[_2_]
January 26th 09, 11:46 AM
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:37:40 +0000, jan olieslagers
> wrote:

>Of the various 3-4 place canards derived from Burt Rutan's original,
>(cosy, velocity, ...) are there any with wings easily folded/detached
>for trailering?
>
>I'd like to consider acquiring one, but hangarage is very unavailable
>round here, so the bird would have to live on a trailer when not flying.
>
>TIA,

there was an Eagle X that was setup to be trailerable. it is a 3 wing
thing with similar problems to canards.
their method was to split the fuselage so that the canard and mains
remained untouched and the tailcone pulled off. it was mounted
sideways on the trailer.

....there is more than one way....

Stealth Pilot

abripl[_2_]
January 26th 09, 10:25 PM
None of the Rutan type derivatives are easily trailerable. They
require removing the main wings and wiring (3 bolts each wing) and the
resultant strake/canard width is near 12 feet wide. It is possible to
make a trailer jig that would set it up at a slant - see
http://www.abri.net/sq2000/travel12.jpg for a four place canard. You
could leave it tied down at the airport when anticipating frequent
flights and then towed home when not. But it is not very fast loading
it.

On Jan 25, 11:37 am, jan olieslagers >
wrote:
> Of the various 3-4 place canards derived from Burt Rutan's original,
> (cosy, velocity, ...) are there any with wings easily folded/detached
> for trailering?
>
> I'd like to consider acquiring one, but hangarage is very unavailable
> round here, so the bird would have to live on a trailer when not flying.
>
> TIA,

abripl[_2_]
January 27th 09, 12:41 AM
Shucks... If you don't mind a two seater and wait a little bit you can
drive a canard home to your garage: http://www.terrafugia.com/

wrote:
> Of the various 3-4 place canards derived from Burt Rutan's original,
> (cosy, velocity, ...) are there any with wings easily folded/detached
> for trailering?
>
> I'd like to consider acquiring one, but hangarage is very unavailable
> round here, so the bird would have to live on a trailer when not flying.
>
> TIA,

vaughn
January 27th 09, 12:53 AM
"abripl" > wrote in message
> Shucks... If you don't mind a two seater and wait a little bit you can
> drive a canard home to your garage: http://www.terrafugia.com/

Sure! Believe that one and I have some waterfront property in the middle
of Florida to sell you.

Vaughn

abripl[_2_]
January 27th 09, 01:17 AM
On Jan 26, 6:53 pm, "vaughn" >
wrote:
> "abripl" > wrote in message

> > Shucks... If you don't mind a two seater and wait a little bit you can
> > drive a canard home to your garage: http://www.terrafugia.com/
>
> Sure! Believe that one and I have some waterfront property in the middle
> of Florida to sell you.
>
> Vaughn

There are always insulting armchair critics that don't accomplish much
themselves. Successful flying cars have been around since 1957
http://www.aviation-history.com/garber/vg-bldg/waterman_aerobile-1_f.html
Being mechanically successful may be different from commercially
successful. Terrafugia unit is not much more than a refinement of
previous efforts. I hope they succeed and I wish them the best of
luck.

vaughn
January 27th 09, 01:35 AM
"abripl" > wrote in message
> On Jan 26, 6:53 pm, "vaughn" >
> wrote:
>> "abripl" > wrote in message

>> > Shucks... If you don't mind a two seater and wait a little bit you can
>> > drive a canard home to your garage: http://www.terrafugia.com/
>>
>> Sure! Believe that one and I have some waterfront property in the
>> middle
>> of Florida to sell you.
>>
>> Vaughn
>
> There are always insulting armchair critics that don't accomplish much
> themselves.

You have no idea what I have accomplished, so you seem to be the one doing
the insulting.

>Successful flying cars have been around since 1957

You are dead wrong. There have been various flying cars produced, even
certified over the years. None have achieved success by any normal measure.
Even the world's governments with their amazing military budgets have never
produced any such vehicle/plane in any quantity. Because of regulations on
both the aircraft and the automobile side that have been proglimated over
the decades since 1957, commercial success would be even less likely today.

> I hope they succeed and I wish them the best of
> luck.

It may be a surprise to you, but I happen to agree with you on this
point, but history tells me not to be optimistic..

Vaughn

Google