PDA

View Full Version : ELY Nevada

January 30th 09, 04:16 AM
Does anyone have info about what's going on in ELY in 2009? Who's
going, is there a tow plane, etc....I'd love to fly out of these for a
week this year...............
Tom

Greg Arnold[_2_]
January 30th 09, 04:29 AM
wrote:
> Does anyone have info about what's going on in ELY in 2009? Who's
> going, is there a tow plane, etc....I'd love to fly out of these for a
> week this year...............
> Tom

Call these people:

http://www.elyjetcenter.com/

They run the towing operation.

January 30th 09, 09:51 AM
Uhmmm....

I bet there is lots of X-C soaring, folks climbing to (and beyond!)
flight levels, landings in the dark (did you know some pilots carry
headlamps in the cockpit for use IN FLIGHT!!!!???), in the boonies,
in the silver sage (did you know that millions of acres of NV are very
nicely landable- thanks ElyDan!) Lift at 10 AM and 10 PM, huge T-
storms, mega-gliders and moto-gliders that get rigged, tied down, and
never flown, excellent beer, amazing wine and discussions in many
languages, GARLIC chicken at Grubb's (is it Genetic??? Who ARE these
people???). Folks calling MAYDAY cause their noisy bit won't. (This
motorglider X-C thing is so lite...., I mean, come on... A new name:
Virtual Soaring! WaterWings of the Air!). "1000 km" OLC-slut flights
that are never out of glide of Ely, Epic amazing flights to Grand
Canyon and Return, to Tehachapi, to Jackpot (Again???), to TPH, to the
Moon! But not to Area 51. Solo flights with 2 people in the
aircraft! Or maybe i is a ghost. Hookers, Mormons,Tweakers,
Gliderscum, Legends, Wannabee's, and WaterThieves from LostWages -
Some of them are the same people! Hungarians, and Yuppies, and Poles,
and Czech's-not Slovaks, and Slovaks-not Czech's, Japanese, and Dutch,
and people from San Jose and kindergarten friends from .DE but live in
LA and talk smack at each other. At least they both limp now. But
sadly, no ElyDan or TomStowers (sniff, sniff). There might be
vortices, shelflift, and Tuaregs that open, close, and start with no
hands. Thepesky Tuareg may even try and pick up your wife! There
might be garnets on Garnet Hill and lift in the Rubies (NOT!) but
certainly ducks and herons. Jim,Jim,Jim,Jim, and Jim can be see there
flying simultaneously (Who Are these People???) - or it might be the
mushrooms in the Polish dish. You might see an eagle duke it out in
the middle of 50 with a JackRabbit. Or they may have both been
aliens. Bring guns, ammo, wine, water, money, money, and sunscreen,
the Polish cabbage and wild mushroom stuff, and a pocket ChiHuaHua to
go with your KimoBear. Did you know you can buy stainless, metric,
philips-head seat pan screws for AS-W20's at the hardware store????
It's true. How about a metric stainless 13mm wing nut? Yep. Wire
mesh to make a garnet sifter? That too! It is in the basement!
ASH's commonly dodge storage sheds, even after 7K ft and 300+ hp. It
is amazing.

Not much going on in ELY, move along, nothing to see :)

January 30th 09, 05:30 PM
............with so little going on there, I better not go...........

Ramy
January 30th 09, 06:59 PM
On Jan 30, 9:30*am, wrote:
> ...........with so little going on there, I better not go...........

The only thing missing is an informative web site, last seen couple of
years ago I think...
This is all I found:
http://www.elysoaring.com/
http://elysoaringcenter.com/

Ramy

JS
January 31st 09, 05:01 AM
That's a lot of excitement!
But is there still a barbecue in the breezeway of the terminal
building?
Jim
(who has never seen the Pawnee roll 45 degrees in turbulence at 300
feet AGL half a mile off the end of 18, knowing I'm next and full of
water)
I miss that place. Have to go back... With my "noisy glider" this
time.

Uncle Fuzzy
January 31st 09, 05:31 AM
On Jan 30, 9:01*pm, JS > wrote:
> That's a lot of excitement!
> But is there still a barbecue in the breezeway of the terminal
> building?
> Jim
> (who has never seen the Pawnee roll 45 degrees in turbulence at 300
> feet AGL half a mile off the end of 18, knowing I'm next and full of
> water)
> I miss that place. Have to go back... With my "noisy glider" this
> time.

OOOOkaayyyy, so WHEN does the Ely gathering happen? I gave up trying
to get my truck back from my wife and bought another one, so I can
actually GO to some of these things.
TIA

Tuno
January 31st 09, 02:42 PM
I don't think there has ever been a firm schedule from year to year.
Sometimes a group from Arizona will decide amongst themselves to spend
a week there, but that's often driven by the timing of the Region 9
contest, especially if it's at Parowan.

Not sure what "the best" time is but early and mid July was awesome
the two times I've been there.

2NO

January 31st 09, 08:26 PM
It happens all summer. A tow is available 7 dyas per week all summer,
except Sundays until later as the towpilot goes to church.

The "Waterwings of the Air" crew is planning something in July, I
believe. I will have to get out my decoder ring and check their super-
exclusive, namebrandonly secret squirrel newsgroup to confirm.

A crew of Poles, Czech's-not Slovaks, and a guy from West Virginia
(honorary Pole) will probably be there beginning in mid-June.

The Hungarian and FlightLevelNightFlyers, probably July.

Earlier seems to e better than later in recent years as the monsoon
seems to be blowing in earlier each year.

See you in the Basin!

January 31st 09, 09:52 PM
On Jan 31, 1:26�pm, " > wrote:
> It happens all summer. A tow is available 7 dyas per week all summer,
> except Sundays until later as the towpilot goes to church.
>
> The "Waterwings of the Air" crew is planning something in July, I
> believe. �I will have to get out my decoder ring and check their super-
> exclusive, namebrandonly �secret squirrel newsgroup to confirm.
>
> A crew of Poles, Czech's-not Slovaks, and a guy from West Virginia
> (honorary Pole) will probably be there beginning in mid-June.
>
> The Hungarian and FlightLevelNightFlyers, probably July.
>
> Earlier seems to e better than later in recent years as the monsoon
> seems to be blowing in earlier each year.
>
> See you in the Basin!

I have been going to Ely every summer since 2002. I would
recommend calling Ely Jet Center @ 1-775-289-8804. Ask for James, as I
am sure he will welcome your call and go over tow rates and other
fees. Maggie can also be of help.
The terminal has been closed for our use for the last several
years. But we use the hanger and a huge grill for our nightly
cookouts. As far as the best time goes, I would suggest looking at the
OLC, as in 2008, we flew from late June thur late July. The main
problem we had in 2008 was smoke from all the fires in California,
which greatly reduced visiblity. But we still got in many 1000 k plus
flights. Look at Russell Owens on the FAI OLC and you will see that
during July 2008, he posted the largest 6 FAI triangles totals flown
anywhere in the world. In 2007, again, late June/early July seemed the
best. Knowing Tom Stowers and all the camps he has held their, I
believe 9, planning always was a hope, as the best seems to occur just
before and after. If I were on a soaring vacation, I would plan on 2
weeks in Ely to give myself the best shot at really great weather.
Most of us just head out mid July because of other commitments, not
because the weather has gone bad.
The towplane is a 250 hp Pawnee. Even when we are loaded with
full water, it does a good job. You do need to get out of gliding
range, if your going to do 1000 k flights and advanced planning should
be done. Carl Herold also does fly out of Ely every summer. He now has
maps with many landable sites. Some advanced planning along with
speaking with some of the locals who do fly out of Ely will make your
trip more enjoyable.
Flying in the great basin can be very rewarding, but caution
also needs to be addressed, with a good mentor and a good managed
growth curve you will have a great time. Rumors from those who aren't
seen in Ely, need to be really toned down, as those that do fly out of
Ely, which include many time World record holders and World Champions,
know that the Great Basin has the finest thermal soaring anywhere, and
in order to fly with the eagles, we know you can't hoot with them
owls...........

Thermal tight, Soar high, Fly safe....# 711.

February 1st 09, 02:17 AM
711, If you are referring to my semi-tongue-in-cheek post, Nothing I
wrote is a rumor. ALL of that I have personally Been There, Done
That, Seen It. It is hard to tone down the awesomeness of Ely and I do
have an uncalibrated and bent sense of fun. Many, apologies.

But Heck , I did not even get to the really interesting stuff (wink,
wink, nudge). You and I have shared the ramp, the BBQ, and the sky
but since I am only one of the ****** wannabee little people, you may
not have noticed. I tend to just enter the pattern and land after my
X-C adventures.

OK, I'm busted. Your are correct, the mushrooms in the Polish dish
really aren't hallucinogenic; they do taste incredibly good, however.
And the wing nut was 17mm, and not 13mm.

Someone who has also been there, done, that, seen it, and based on
your own post would have some smattering of credibility with you
emailed me, stating:

"LOL for your Ely forecast. You totaled nailed it, in poetic
fashion. Best thing I’ve seen on soaring in ages, and you’re right, we
miss ElyDan and Tom Stowers. We’ll arrive right around July 1,
looking for whatever thrills this year will hold."

But perhaps she is an alien and is hallucinating due to all the clean
air and sage. Or maybe she needs to "tone it down" as well.

The RAS community really needs to get their sense of humor re-
profiled. I hear you need .020 in 3 inches.

711, that was a Great and Useful Post. Many thanks for the data.

See You in the GB!

February 1st 09, 03:33 AM
On Jan 31, 7:17*pm, " > wrote:
> 711, If you are referring to my semi-tongue-in-cheek post, Nothing I
> wrote is a rumor. *ALL of that I have personally Been There, Done
> That, Seen It. It is hard to tone down the awesomeness of Ely and I do
> have an uncalibrated and bent sense of fun. * Many, apologies.

No need to apologies, but I might of missed all that been their, done
that stuff. Seen several come back in twilight, one was really dark
twilight. I will say if you act carelessly now, you will be gone,
forever. By the way, when were you their last?

> But Heck , I did not even get to the really interesting stuff (wink,
> wink, nudge). *You and I have shared the ramp, the BBQ, *and the sky
> but since I am only one of the ****** wannabee little people, you may
> not have noticed. *I tend to just enter the pattern and land after my
> X-C adventures.

Nobody that I know. including myself, who goes to Ely, treats anyone
as a ****** wannabee. All are extremely friendly and more than willing
to help anyone. I have been on 3 day retrieves. The nitely BBQ's are
always attended well and the folks that come to Ely are from around
the world and different walks of life.

> OK, I'm busted. *Your are correct, the mushrooms in the Polish dish
> really aren't hallucinogenic; they do taste incredibly good, however.

I sure never said anything about mushrooms................or wing
nuts.

>And the wing nut was 17mm, and not 13mm.
>
> Someone who has also been there, done, that, seen it, and based on
> your own post would have some smattering of credibility with you
> emailed me, stating:

Well, DUDE, I have never emailed you. Your poem (or rap or rant)
didn't provide any information for a new person coming to Ely. The
great basin and Ely do require one's soaring skills to be attained
before they get their. But they can come and enjoy local soaring and
progress from their.

> *"LOL for your Ely forecast. You totaled nailed it, in poetic
> fashion. Best thing I’ve seen on soaring in ages, and you’re right, we
> miss ElyDan and Tom Stowers. *We’ll arrive right around July 1,
> looking for whatever thrills this year will hold."

Just had lunch with Stowers on this last Wednesday at the airport cafe
in Minden. We were talking about Ely. He's doing well. Haven't seen
Dan in several years, Kevin is still working, he got married and then
came the divorce.

> But perhaps she is an alien and is hallucinating due to all the clean
> air and sage. *Or maybe she needs to "tone it down" as well.
>
> The RAS community really needs to get their sense of humor re-
> profiled. *I hear you need .020 in 3 inches.
>
> 711, that was a Great and Useful Post. *Many thanks for the data.

My post was for the person who was asking about Ely. Its along way to
drive if the ramp's full and much better to plan ahead. Also, tow fees
and other fees have changed over the last few years. So, its a good
idea to call ahead. Those that go to Parowan might find it useful not
just to show up and also call ahead.

I did enjoy your writing skills, Sci Fi might be needed for Soaring
magazine.

> See You in the GB!

Well, I hope on the ground in Ely. If your that dude who was hiding in
the firehouse, well you can't do that anymore as TSA controls it. We
even, several years ago, took our wireless antenna down and moved it
from the firehouse to the Jet center and everyone now get's free
wireless. Theirs even sofa's in the hanger and 3 golf carts to tow to
the end of the runway with. Headlamps, wow, maybe chewing gum wrapper
turned to reflect light so the airspeed can be seen...just maybe on
that one, as you never know who's reading these posts............dude.

you be da man................ 711.

February 1st 09, 06:24 AM
>By the way, when were you their last?

The last Tom/Dan camp. Been too long and I will remedy that this
summer. I finished the camp by team flying with KimoBear from Ely to
Tehahcapi. We both made it! That's not too bad, is it, 711?

> Nobody that I know. including myself, who goes to Ely, treats anyone
> as a ****** wannabee. All are extremely friendly and more than willing
> to help anyone. I have been on 3 day retrieves. The nitely BBQ's are
> always attended well and the folks that come to Ely are from around
> the world and different walks of life.

No one at Ely has ever treated me with anything but kindness, respect,
and camaraderie of the highest level. It has been, and I am sure,
will be some of the best times of my life. Again, my apologies for
insinuating that I was treated shabbily by anyone in Ely. That is
most definitely not the case.

711, you real should get your sarcasm/humor meter recalibrated.

> Well, DUDE, I have never emailed you. Your poem (or rap or rant) didn't provide any information for a new person coming to Ely.

I never said you e-mailed me! Please read the sentence below C-a-r-e-
f-u-l-ly.

> > > Someone who has also been there, done, that, seen it, and based on your own post would have some smattering of credibility with you
> > emailed me, stating:.....

I wrote that someone you know, and respect, e-mailed me the
following statement:

"LOL for your Ely forecast. You totaled nailed it, in poetic fashion.
Best thing I’ve seen on soaring in ages, and you’re right, we miss
ElyDan and Tom Stowers. We’ll arrive right around July 1, looking for
whatever thrills this year will hold."

Of course, this person's e-mail tag-line is "Joy on the Move" . I
sense that this statement is not exactly "you", 711.

> My post was for the person who was asking about Ely.

You were telling him to "tone it down"??? Wow, then I must be way out
of line :)

My response was directed to him as well! I was trying to convey what
a fantastic place you, and I, and everyone else believe it to be.
Unfortunately, it left you cold. I deeply apologize for that and
your responses have taken all the fun and joy out of this. And wasted
an hour writing a response. I am an idiot.

> Sci Fi might be needed for Soaring magazine.....

The editor asked me to write some articles for the Safety Column in
Soaring. No joke. Call him and ask. You have inspired me to take
him up on his offer!
How did you like the latest cover of Soaring? The centerfold? How
about this year's OLC top 10?

>as you never know who's reading these posts............dude.

At last we are to the heart of the matter! My Mom, in her infinite
wisdom, said that if you worry about who knows what, maybe it is not
such a great idea. Words to Live by. It is one of the many, many
reasons I love the OLC. It keeps me honest, even when I do not want
to be, which is often.

But since my innuendo is all Fiction and, as you said, even if those
things (that didn't happen), did occur (and we all know mywriting is
pure fantasy), they don't occur now. And never did, anyway.

And thanks for the name-calling...dude. Unbelievably, I can now say
that someone from the Ely circle of friends has been rude and
unkind.

Be Happy, 711! I will share a bottle of the "other" Mark's beautiful
wine with you on the ramp at Ely. But none of his beautiful wife's
cabbage and wild mushroom dish.

Finally, and very seriously, I apologize for "hive-whacking", and for
my too-close-for-comfort "low pass" on reality.

February 1st 09, 07:35 AM
On Jan 31, 11:24*pm, " > wrote:
> *>By the way, when were you their last?
>
> The last Tom/Dan camp. *Been too long and I will remedy that this
> summer. *I finished the camp by team flying with KimoBear from Ely to
> Tehahcapi. *We both made it! *That's not too bad, is it, 711?

Great flight, I was their in Ely when you guys took off, you haven't
been back since then. Heard you leeched the entire flight.............

> > Nobody that I know. including myself, who goes to Ely, treats anyone
> > as a ****** wannabee. All are extremely friendly and more than willing
> > to help anyone. I have been on 3 day retrieves. The nitely BBQ's are
> > always attended well and the folks that come to Ely are from around
> > the world and different walks of life.
>
> No one at Ely has ever treated me with anything but kindness, respect,
> and *camaraderie of the highest level. *It has been, and I am sure,
> will be some of the best times of my life. *Again, my apologies for
> insinuating that I was treated shabbily by anyone in Ely. *That is
> most definitely not the case.
>
> 711, you real should get your sarcasm/humor meter recalibrated.

That's funny, I thought your last rant shows my sarcasm/humor meter is
calibrated just fine.

> > Well, DUDE, I have never emailed you. Your poem (or rap or rant) didn't provide any information for a new person coming to Ely.

Well, I have never emailed you................

> I never said you e-mailed me! * Please read the sentence below C-a-r-e-
> f-u-l-ly.

> > > emailed me, stating:.....
>
> *I wrote that someone you know, and respect, *e-mailed me the
> following statement:
>
> "LOL for your Ely forecast. You totaled nailed it, in poetic *fashion.
> Best thing I’ve seen on soaring in ages, and you’re right, we miss
> ElyDan and Tom Stowers. *We’ll arrive right around July 1, looking for
> whatever thrills this year will hold."
>
> Of course, this person's e-mail tag-line is "Joy on the Move" . * I
> sense that this statement is not exactly "you", 711.
>

> > My post was for the person who was asking about Ely.

Their have been many rumors about soaring in Ely since Dan left. Many
are untrue. It's sad the way things turned out, but those that have
been going to Ely over the last several years, seemed to be pleased
the way Lee and James and the staff of the Jet center are taking care
of the soaring group. Tom wants to bring his group camps back, but
because of the size of his groups, the ramp space available, he just
can't put on his normal first class run camp. He doesn't settle for
less.
As TSA is now their, along with the new airport manager, everything
does run very well and we all get along just fine. Considering the
time, effort and money that has been spent to keep the soar going in
Ely, along with a new ramp, I do think its best to give information
out to new folks showing them they are welcome and they to can enjoy
soaring as long as they get some first time mentoring when they
arrive.

> You were telling him to "tone it down"??? *Wow, then I must be way out
> of line :)
>
> My response was directed to him as well! *I was trying to convey what
> a fantastic place you, and I, and everyone else believe it to be.
> Unfortunately, it left you cold. *I deeply apologize *for that and
> your responses have taken all the fun and joy out of this. And wasted
> an hour writing a response. *I am an idiot.

It didn't leave me cold. But your post was far from being informative.
That part about being you being an idiot.......well, you said it, not
me..........no apologize's again are needed.

> > Sci Fi might be needed for Soaring *magazine.....
>
> The editor asked me to write some articles for the Safety Column in
> Soaring. *No joke. *Call him and ask. *You have inspired me to take
> him up on his offer!

Great, he's been emailing many folks looking for articles. Even me.
May I suggest a ****** wantabee article??? Remember the deadline is
the 15th 2 months before the issue come out.

> How did you like the latest cover of Soaring? *The centerfold? *How
> about this year's OLC top 10?

Yawn, sorry, when's your coming out party....I mean, when you going
to show us your stuff at Regional or National event?

> >as you never know who's reading these posts............dude.
>
> At last we are to the heart of the matter! *My Mom, in her infinite
> wisdom, said that if you worry about who knows what, maybe it is not
> such a great idea. Words to Live by. *It is one of the many, many
> reasons I love the OLC. *It keeps me honest, even when I do not want
> to be, which is often.

The heart of the matter is the FAA drove all the way to Ely last
summer and did ramp checks...........big brother is watching.

Now the other part is confusing, cause how do I know when your being
honest? As you just said, your not honest often...So, I award you
title of SCI FI RAS rumor mill. Get a Happy meal from McD's.......your
prize's inside. When I see you, I'll give ya 3 bucks. That's more
than you got from the OLC.

> But since my innuendo is all Fiction and, as you said, *even if those
> things (that didn't happen), did occur (and we all know mywriting is
> pure fantasy), they don't occur now. *And never did, anyway.
>
> And thanks for the name-calling...dude. *Unbelievably, I can now say
> that someone from the Ely circle of friends has been rude and
> unkind.

"Dude", in many corner's of the world, was meant as a
complement.........my, you must have a short yaw
string..........Remember, an expert is someone who knows so much about
so little............I never called you an expert.

> Be Happy, 711! *I will share a bottle of the "other" Mark's beautiful
> wine with you on the ramp at Ely. *But none of his beautiful wife's
> cabbage and wild mushroom dish.
>
> Finally, and very seriously, I apologize for "hive-whacking", and for
> my too-close-for-comfort "low pass" on reality.

I have know Mark for years, he is always willing to share. But what I
have never seen is an Eagle and rabit duke it out for road kill, you
have any pictures or better yet, left overs.........ka ching.

Thermal tight, Soar high, Fly safe....711.

February 1st 09, 08:09 AM
Wow.

February 1st 09, 06:07 PM
On Jan 31, 11:35*pm, wrote:

> Great flight, I was their in Ely when you guys took off, you haven't
> been back since then. Heard you leeched the entire flight.............

Mark Grubb leeching??? HA, HA, HA, HA! You really are a comedian!

Jim[_18_]
February 1st 09, 10:27 PM
On Feb 1, 10:07*am, wrote:
> On Jan 31, 11:35*pm, wrote:
>

> > Great flight, I was their in Ely when you guys took off, you haven't
> > been back since then. Heard you leeched the entire flight.............
>
> Mark Grubb leeching??? HA, HA, HA, HA! You really are a comedian!

Mark,

When are you going to Ely, I need to do some leaching and want to
follow you around your next 1250km flight.

Jim D

Uncle Fuzzy
February 2nd 09, 06:50 AM
On Jan 31, 10:24*pm, " > wrote:
> [...]
> such a great idea. Words to Live by. *It is one of the many, many
> reasons I love the OLC. *It keeps me honest, even when I do not want
> to be, which is often.
>
> But since my innuendo is all Fiction and, as you said, *even if those
> things (that didn't happen), did occur (and we all know mywriting is
> pure fantasy), they don't occur now. *And never did, anyway.
>
> And thanks for the name-calling...dude. *Unbelievably, I can now say
> that someone from the Ely circle of friends has been rude and
> unkind.
>
> Be Happy, 711! *I will share a bottle of the "other" Mark's beautiful
> wine with you on the ramp at Ely. *But none of his beautiful wife's
> cabbage and wild mushroom dish.
>
> Finally, and very seriously, I apologize for "hive-whacking", and for
> my too-close-for-comfort "low pass" on reality.

Hey Mark,
I freakin' LOVED your bit about Ely! Can't wait to go! I used Ely
for a turnpoint last JABOG, but I've never landed there.
Seey Ya!

Pat Russette
February 2nd 09, 06:58 AM
Jim wrote:
> On Feb 1, 10:07 am, wrote:
>> On Jan 31, 11:35 pm, wrote:
>>

>>> Great flight, I was their in Ely when you guys took off, you haven't
>>> been back since then. Heard you leeched the entire flight.............
>> Mark Grubb leeching??? HA, HA, HA, HA! You really are a comedian!
>
> Mark,
>
> When are you going to Ely, I need to do some leaching and want to
> follow you around your next 1250km flight.
>
> Jim D

Mark,

Yeah... Count me in as well..... You can leach off me anytime. But I
think you will have to slow down to do so.

Maybe if you were such a fantastic contest pilot (as 711 obviously feels
that he is) you could also take 5 or 6 weeks a year off and follow the
soaring weather around the country and enter every contest or go to
EVERY camp to get those big distance flights. Only then could you score
as high as 711 does on the OLC.... Wait, never mind.... HE did not make
the top ten even doing that..... I didn't see that 711 ever won a
contest either... I guess you can't buy skill with a cool new glider or
even with tons of disposable income and free time. Hmm....

711's coments remind me why I don't care to enter contests.

Mark, I enjoyed your creative rambling about Ely and as far as soaring
goes I'll gladly chase you anytime....

Maybe some day we can all be as good as 711 THINKS that he is....
Hopefully that level of achievement does not come with his obvious
conceit.

From a fellow ****** wanabee pilot who signs his posts with his real
name....

Pat Russette
CQ

February 2nd 09, 08:10 AM
On Feb 1, 11:58�pm, Pat Russette > wrote:
> Jim wrote:

> >> Mark Grubb leeching??? HA, HA, HA, HA! You really are a comedian!
>
> > Mark,
>
> > When are you going to Ely, I need to do some leaching and want to
> > follow you around your next 1250km flight.
>
> > Jim D
>
> Mark,
>
> Yeah... Count me in as well..... You can leach off me anytime. �But I
> think you will have to slow down to do so.
>
> Maybe if you were such a fantastic contest pilot (as 711 obviously feels
> that he is) you could also take 5 or 6 weeks a year off and follow the
> soaring weather around the country and enter every contest or go to
> EVERY camp to get those big distance flights. �Only then could you score
> as high as 711 does on the OLC.... �Wait, never mind.... HE did not make
> the top ten even doing that..... �I didn't see that 711 ever won a
> contest either... I guess you can't buy skill with a cool new glider or
> even with tons of disposable income and free time. �Hmm....
>
> 711's coments remind me why I don't care to enter contests.
>
> Mark, I enjoyed your creative rambling about Ely and as far as soaring
> goes I'll gladly chase you anytime....
>
> Maybe some day we can all be as good as 711 THINKS that he is....
> Hopefully that level of achievement does not come with his obvious
> conceit.
>
> �From a fellow ****** wanabee pilot who signs his posts with his real
> name....
>
> Pat Russette
> CQ- Hide quoted text -

Well, to fly as a leech, you do have to be really be pretty darn good,
as the top guys will just run away from you. I have flown as a leech,
it sure didn't take long for me to fall behind. I was just pulling his
string, about being a leech, as Mark and I have had dinner and shared
our flights in Ely when he was their. It was the summer of 2004. J6
does just fine.

But since some of you are upset, I do applogize.

Sorry Mark Grubb. My bad.

This ****** wanabee pilot stuff sure is becoming popular, anyone have
a definition of what it is?

Pat Russell, if you ever desire to go to a contest, just post it
here, as I won't go. No problem at all. But do hope to see you in Ely
this summer.

Click "view profile", mines filled out, been that way for along
time......also, on the SSA webpage, any members achievements can
reviewed.

# 711

February 2nd 09, 08:24 AM
Group Hug?

bumper
February 2nd 09, 06:55 PM
I'm in. I like HUUUGs!

bumper

> wrote in message
> Group Hug?

February 2nd 09, 07:54 PM
Easy there, Bumper.

Us glider pilots are Manly Men or at least we like to think so. Hugs
are OK, Good even, but your not supposed to really like it :).

Good On You and your Wife for saving the suicidal guy on the Black
Rock Playa, by the way.

sisu1a
February 2nd 09, 08:14 PM
On Feb 2, 11:54*am, " > wrote:
> Easy there, Bumper.
>
> Us glider pilots are Manly Men or at least we like to think so. *Hugs
> are OK, Good even, but your not supposed to really like it :).

Perhaps Bumper wants to 'Fairy' his Husky to Avenal this May to tow at
our contest?!

-Paul

February 3rd 09, 02:43 AM
Thanks everyone for your great responses on Ely. Couldn't have asked
for more. And we can all see many posts were written with a great
sense of humor, so shouldn't be taken personally but taken as such.
Humor and poetic license. I enjoyed them and the passion that comes
through...........

February 3rd 09, 03:09 AM
I can not find Russell Owens flights at OLC from Ely. Where could I
view them? Thanks
Tom

February 3rd 09, 03:28 AM
Never Mind folks, found Russ's flights at the ever so sloooooooooow
OLC wesbite.

Google