PDA

View Full Version : Rust in tight places

mhorowit
February 5th 09, 12:39 PM
I'm removing surface rust on a 4130 fuselage prior to priming.

Assume I'm in a place where I can't use my sandblaster.
I need to get into the tight places of a cluster to remove surface
rust.
I can get pretty deep in the cluster with emery cloth, but there is
the last 1/8".

There are rust converter chemicals on the market. Is it OK for me to
use
a rust converter prior to priming or am I fooling myself? - Mike

stol
February 5th 09, 11:43 PM
On Feb 5, 5:39*am, mhorowit > wrote:
> I'm removing surface rust on a 4130 fuselage prior to priming.
>
> Assume I'm in a place where I can't use my sandblaster.
> I need to get into the tight places of a cluster to remove surface
> rust.
> I can get pretty deep in the cluster with emery cloth, but there is
> the last 1/8".
>
> There are rust converter chemicals on the market. Is it OK for me to
> use
> a rust converter prior to priming or am I fooling myself? - Mike

get a finer grade of blasting media.. I can't see how you could get
any better results any other way.

Ben

Charles Vincent
February 5th 09, 11:48 PM
stol wrote:
> On Feb 5, 5:39 am, mhorowit > wrote:
>> I'm removing surface rust on a 4130 fuselage prior to priming.
>>
>> Assume I'm in a place where I can't use my sandblaster.
>> I need to get into the tight places of a cluster to remove surface
>> rust.
>> I can get pretty deep in the cluster with emery cloth, but there is
>> the last 1/8".
>>
>> There are rust converter chemicals on the market. Is it OK for me to
>> use
>> a rust converter prior to priming or am I fooling myself? - Mike
>
> get a finer grade of blasting media.. I can't see how you could get
> any better results any other way.
>
> Ben

I think he meant that he was in a location i.e. hanger where
sandblasting was forbidden.

Charles

stol
February 6th 09, 12:05 AM
On Feb 5, 4:48*pm, Charles Vincent > wrote:
> stol wrote:
> > On Feb 5, 5:39 am, mhorowit > wrote:
> >> I'm removing surface rust on a 4130 fuselage prior to priming.
>
> >> Assume I'm in a place where I can't use my sandblaster.
> >> I need to get into the tight places of a cluster to remove surface
> >> rust.
> >> I can get pretty deep in the cluster with emery cloth, but there is
> >> the last 1/8".
>
> >> There are rust converter chemicals on the market. Is it OK for me to
> >> use
> >> a rust converter prior to priming or am I fooling myself? - Mike
>
> > get a finer grade of *blasting media.. I can't see how you could get
> > any better results any other way.
>
> > Ben
>
> I think he meant that he was in a location i.e. hanger where
> sandblasting was forbidden.
>
> Charles- Hide quoted text -

That now does make sense but if the rust is slight there are small,
portable sandblasters that would work using the smallest compressors..

Maxwell[_2_]
February 6th 09, 12:48 AM
"stol" > wrote in message
On Feb 5, 4:48 pm, Charles Vincent > wrote:
> stol wrote:
> > On Feb 5, 5:39 am, mhorowit > wrote:
> >> I'm removing surface rust on a 4130 fuselage prior to priming.
>
> >> Assume I'm in a place where I can't use my sandblaster.
> >> I need to get into the tight places of a cluster to remove surface
> >> rust.
> >> I can get pretty deep in the cluster with emery cloth, but there is
> >> the last 1/8".
>
> >> There are rust converter chemicals on the market. Is it OK for me to
> >> use
> >> a rust converter prior to priming or am I fooling myself? - Mike
>
> > get a finer grade of blasting media.. I can't see how you could get
> > any better results any other way.
>
> > Ben
>
> I think he meant that he was in a location i.e. hanger where
> sandblasting was forbidden.
>
> Charles- Hide quoted text -

That now does make sense but if the rust is slight there are small,
portable sandblasters that would work using the smallest compressors..

The question is rust converter chemicals in tight places.

stol
February 6th 09, 01:41 AM
On Feb 5, 5:48*pm, "Maxwell" <#$$9#@%%%.^^^> wrote:
> "stol" > wrote in message

> On Feb 5, 4:48 pm, Charles Vincent > wrote:
>

> > stol wrote:

> > > get a finer grade of blasting media.. I can't see how you could get
> > > any better results any other way.
>
> > > Ben
>
> > I think he meant that he was in a location i.e. hanger where
> > sandblasting was forbidden.
>
> > Charles- Hide quoted text -

> That now does make sense but if the rust is slight there are small,
> portable sandblasters that would work using the smallest compressors..
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------*----------------
>
> The question is rust converter chemicals in tight places.- Hide quoted text -

Rust converters not properly and completely flushed will corrode the
parent metal.. I guess I should have mentioned that first but I did
assume that is a no brainer.

My bad.

over and out.

Maxwell[_2_]
February 6th 09, 02:49 AM
"stol" > wrote in message

Rust converters not properly and completely flushed will corrode the
parent metal.. I guess I should have mentioned that first but I did
assume that is a no brainer.

My bad.

over and out.

Not all brands require a flush. Some convert surface rust to a hard dark
grey coating that seems to be an excellent sealer.

Maxwell[_2_]
February 6th 09, 02:51 AM
"mhorowit" > wrote in message
> I'm removing surface rust on a 4130 fuselage prior to priming.
>
> Assume I'm in a place where I can't use my sandblaster.
> I need to get into the tight places of a cluster to remove surface
> rust.
> I can get pretty deep in the cluster with emery cloth, but there is
> the last 1/8".
>
> There are rust converter chemicals on the market. Is it OK for me to
> use
> a rust converter prior to priming or am I fooling myself? - Mike

Do you have a specific brand in mind?

I have never used one on 4130, and never heard of one used on aircraft, but
I have had good luck on automotive applications.

February 6th 09, 04:49 AM
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:43:08 -0800 (PST), stol >
wrote:

>On Feb 5, 5:39Â*am, mhorowit > wrote:
>> I'm removing surface rust on a 4130 fuselage prior to priming.
>>
>> Assume I'm in a place where I can't use my sandblaster.
>> I need to get into the tight places of a cluster to remove surface
>> rust.
>> I can get pretty deep in the cluster with emery cloth, but there is
>> the last 1/8".
>>
>> There are rust converter chemicals on the market. Is it OK for me to
>> use
>> a rust converter prior to priming or am I fooling myself? - Mike
>
>get a finer grade of blasting media.. I can't see how you could get
>any better results any other way.
>
>Ben
use a brass wire brush and Phosphoric acid - MetalPrep or Water
Softener Resin Cleaner - same stuff at about 1/4 the price.

February 6th 09, 04:51 AM
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 20:49:47 -0600, "Maxwell" <#$$9#@%%%.^^^> wrote:

>"stol" > wrote in message
>
>Rust converters not properly and completely flushed will corrode the
>parent metal.. I guess I should have mentioned that first but I did
>assume that is a no brainer.
>
>My bad.
>
>over and out.
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Not all brands require a flush. Some convert surface rust to a hard dark
>grey coating that seems to be an excellent sealer.

Phosphoric Acid (Metal Prep) does just that - used as an "etch" in
auto-body work to give the primer some "tooth" as well as getting rid
of any minor surface "flask\h" rust. Makes Iron Phosphate.

Maxwell[_2_]
February 6th 09, 05:11 AM
> wrote in message
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 20:49:47 -0600, "Maxwell" <#$$9#@%%%.^^^> wrote:
>

>>"stol" > wrote in message
>>
>>Rust converters not properly and completely flushed will corrode the
>>parent metal.. I guess I should have mentioned that first but I did
>>assume that is a no brainer.
>>
>>My bad.
>>
>>over and out.
>>
>>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>Not all brands require a flush. Some convert surface rust to a hard dark
>>grey coating that seems to be an excellent sealer.
>>

> Phosphoric Acid (Metal Prep) does just that - used as an "etch" in
> auto-body work to give the primer some "tooth" as well as getting rid
> of any minor surface "flask\h" rust. Makes Iron Phosphate.

This is the product I used
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-47233/Detail
Treated some rust areas in a truck bed under a bed liner. When I sold the
truck ten years later, the treated areas were still free of corrosion.

February 6th 09, 09:13 PM
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 23:11:51 -0600, "Maxwell" <#$$9#@%%%.^^^> wrote:

> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 20:49:47 -0600, "Maxwell" <#$$9#@%%%.^^^> wrote:
>>

>>>"stol" > wrote in message
>>>
>>>Rust converters not properly and completely flushed will corrode the
>>>parent metal.. I guess I should have mentioned that first but I did
>>>assume that is a no brainer.
>>>
>>>My bad.
>>>
>>>over and out.
>>>
>>>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>Not all brands require a flush. Some convert surface rust to a hard dark
>>>grey coating that seems to be an excellent sealer.
>>>

>> Phosphoric Acid (Metal Prep) does just that - used as an "etch" in
>> auto-body work to give the primer some "tooth" as well as getting rid
>> of any minor surface "flask\h" rust. Makes Iron Phosphate.
>
>This is the product I used
>http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-47233/Detail
>Treated some rust areas in a truck bed under a bed liner. When I sold the
>truck ten years later, the treated areas were still free of corrosion.

Not bad stuff but expensive (relatively) and not good for getting into
the real close stuff in welded clusters. Not sure which of it's
ingredients are the active rust converter.

Michael Horowitz
May 19th 09, 09:40 PM
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 23:49:35 -0500, wrote:

>On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:43:08 -0800 (PST), stol >
>wrote:
>
>>On Feb 5, 5:39Â*am, mhorowit > wrote:
>>> I'm removing surface rust on a 4130 fuselage prior to priming.
>>>
>>> Assume I'm in a place where I can't use my sandblaster.
>>> I need to get into the tight places of a cluster to remove surface
>>> rust.
>>> I can get pretty deep in the cluster with emery cloth, but there is
>>> the last 1/8".
>>>
>>> There are rust converter chemicals on the market. Is it OK for me to
>>> use
>>> a rust converter prior to priming or am I fooling myself? - Mike
>>
>>get a finer grade of blasting media.. I can't see how you could get
>>any better results any other way.
>>
>>Ben
> use a brass wire brush and Phosphoric acid - MetalPrep or Water
>Softener Resin Cleaner - same stuff at about 1/4 the price.

Clare - I put a coating on part of my fuselage to get rid of rust
remaining after wirebrushing. How long should it take for this stuff
to dry? - MIke
\

Google