PDA

View Full Version : Godspeed Bill Bartell

Tim Taylor
February 9th 09, 09:24 PM
Many of us received word this morning that Bill is missing and
presumed dead in a body surfing accident in Mexico (Thanks, Roy). Was
not sure how it would affect me, but I have been pretty subdued all
day. Hard to think Bill won't be there to call when I need advice on
flying the Ventus and which way to go for my next glider. Bill had
this infectious sense of humour that I always enjoyed. Glider.com had
a great joke section.

Still remember the first time I met him. I was crewing at Minden in
the late 80's and he arrived from Southern Ca for a contest in usual
Bill style. They (I think it was Bill and Roy) flew up from Cal City
and he climbs out of the glider wearing a tee shirt and basketball
shorts (back when they were short). 300 miles of some of the worst
country to cross and it was just a casual flight.

At Uvalde many years later I remember watching Oscar Fox flying past
me at warp speed down on the deck on a run toward Hondo. He was never
afraid to push hard during a contest.

Godspeed Bill, we will miss you.

http://billbartell.com/

February 9th 09, 10:20 PM
Wow! That comes as quite a shock!
Glider flying not withstanding, I have fond memories of flying into
Mexico in this piece of crap Citation 500, (it was too old to be
converted to a 501 which can be flown single pilot.) Bill and I were
departing from about the only airport that serves general aviation for
the Mexico City area, Tuluca.
The airport elevation is above seven thousand feet as I recall. We
were right at max gross, (OK, perhaps a bit over), when, at about two
hundred feet AGL, the right engine fire light and warning horn went
off.
Bill was PIC, (in the right seat), and I was jerking gear for him, (in
the only other seat to be found in the pointed end of the dogg we were
flying..........the left one.)
Bill pulled the thrust lever back while reciting the memory
items...the lights and horn were still on. We then shut down the
engine, still no change. Punched both fire bottles...still no change
In the mean time I informed the tower we were declaring an emengency
and returning to land. Oh yeah, and we wanted the fire trucks
standing by as we might have an engine fire.
Bill climbed that pig to pattern altitude at V2 plus about five
knots.
We were sure there was not really a fire, but under those
circumstances you have to do all the emergency proceedures as though
your ass really is pukeing flames.
Bill did a masterful job of getting us back on the ground without
incident and was smiling all the time.
I'm gonna miss that guy!

Zulu

February 9th 09, 10:26 PM
On Feb 9, 3:20�pm, wrote:
> Wow! �That comes as quite a shock!
> Glider flying not withstanding, I have fond memories of flying into
> Mexico in this piece of crap Citation 500, (it was too old to be
> converted to a 501 which can be flown single pilot.) �Bill and I were
> departing from about the only airport that serves general aviation for
> the Mexico City area, Tuluca.
> The airport elevation is above seven thousand feet as I recall. �We
> were right at max gross, (OK, perhaps a bit over), when, at about two
> hundred feet AGL, the right engine fire light and warning horn went
> off.
> Bill was PIC, (in the right seat), and I was jerking gear for him, (in
> the only other seat to be found in the pointed end of the dogg we were
> flying..........the left one.)
> Bill pulled the thrust lever back while reciting the memory
> items...the lights and horn were still on. �We then shut down the
> engine, �still no change. Punched both fire bottles...still no change
> In the mean time I informed the tower we were declaring an emengency
> and returning to land. �Oh yeah, and we wanted the fire trucks
> standing by as we might have an engine fire.
> Bill climbed that pig to pattern altitude at V2 plus about five
> knots.
> We were sure there was not really a fire, but under those
> circumstances you have to do all the emergency proceedures as though
> your ass really is pukeing flames.
> Bill did a masterful job of getting us back on the ground without
> incident and was smiling all the time.
> I'm gonna miss that guy!
>
> Zulu

Actually I had the seats mixed up. At that time, Bill was in the left
seat and I was in the right one but that didn't make it any less
exciting!

February 9th 09, 11:01 PM
On Feb 9, 3:20*pm, wrote:
> Wow! *That comes as quite a shock!
> Glider flying not withstanding, I have fond memories of flying into
> Mexico in this piece of crap Citation 500, (it was too old to be
> converted to a 501 which can be flown single pilot.) *Bill and I were
> departing from about the only airport that serves general aviation for
> the Mexico City area, Tuluca.
> The airport elevation is above seven thousand feet as I recall. *We
> were right at max gross, (OK, perhaps a bit over), when, at about two
> hundred feet AGL, the right engine fire light and warning horn went
> off.
> Bill was PIC, (in the right seat), and I was jerking gear for him, (in
> the only other seat to be found in the pointed end of the dogg we were
> flying..........the left one.)
> Bill pulled the thrust lever back while reciting the memory
> items...the lights and horn were still on. *We then shut down the
> engine, *still no change. Punched both fire bottles...still no change
> In the mean time I informed the tower we were declaring an emengency
> and returning to land. *Oh yeah, and we wanted the fire trucks
> standing by as we might have an engine fire.
> Bill climbed that pig to pattern altitude at V2 plus about five
> knots.
> We were sure there was not really a fire, but under those
> circumstances you have to do all the emergency proceedures as though
> your ass really is pukeing flames.
> Bill did a masterful job of getting us back on the ground without
> incident and was smiling all the time.
> I'm gonna miss that guy!
>
> Zulu

Such SAD news. OF was one of the stalwarts of the Arizona Soaring
Association when I first transitioned into gliding. I learned a LOT
from him, as did many others. Since his moving, we sometimes had
short conversations with him on the radio as we were soaring, and he
was jetting by way overhead. He was one of those rare individuals
that really lived life to the fullest. He'll be sorely missed.

Bob T.
19

Patti Bartell
February 11th 09, 07:45 PM
At 23:01 09 February 2009, wrote:
>On Feb 9, 3:20=A0pm, wrote:
>> Wow! =A0That comes as quite a shock!
>> Glider flying not withstanding, I have fond memories of flying into
>> Mexico in this piece of crap Citation 500, (it was too old to be
>> converted to a 501 which can be flown single pilot.) =A0Bill and I
were
>> departing from about the only airport that serves general aviation for
>> the Mexico City area, Tuluca.
>> The airport elevation is above seven thousand feet as I recall. =A0We
>> were right at max gross, (OK, perhaps a bit over), when, at about two
>> hundred feet AGL, the right engine fire light and warning horn went
>> off.
>> Bill was PIC, (in the right seat), and I was jerking gear for him, (in
>> the only other seat to be found in the pointed end of the dogg we were
>> flying..........the left one.)
>> Bill pulled the thrust lever back while reciting the memory
>> items...the lights and horn were still on. =A0We then shut down the
>> engine, =A0still no change. Punched both fire bottles...still no
change
>> In the mean time I informed the tower we were declaring an emengency
>> and returning to land. =A0Oh yeah, and we wanted the fire trucks
>> standing by as we might have an engine fire.
>> Bill climbed that pig to pattern altitude at V2 plus about five
>> knots.
>> We were sure there was not really a fire, but under those
>> circumstances you have to do all the emergency proceedures as though
>> your ass really is pukeing flames.
>> Bill did a masterful job of getting us back on the ground without
>> incident and was smiling all the time.
>> I'm gonna miss that guy!
>>
>> Zulu
>
>Such SAD news. OF was one of the stalwarts of the Arizona Soaring
>Association when I first transitioned into gliding. I learned a LOT
>from him, as did many others. Since his moving, we sometimes had
>short conversations with him on the radio as we were soaring, and he
>was jetting by way overhead. He was one of those rare individuals
>that really lived life to the fullest. He'll be sorely missed.
>
>Bob T.
>19

Thanks for all your wonderful memories of my brother...it's obvious he
will be missed by many.
Patti Bartell Marable

Brent Sanders
February 11th 09, 08:00 PM
Thank you so much for sharing these stories about Bill. He is my uncle and
will always share a place in my heart.

i would love to hear any other stories that you can remember, his glider
days are always some of my favorites.

I remember being up in Lake Izabella as a kid and hearing all day that
Bill was going to fly into the local airport. Carol showed up in her Van,
towing a crazy looking trailer. She was talking to Bill on the radio and i
got to say hi to him. While standing in a clearing down by the lake over
soars Uncle Bill, not only did he show up in style but did a loop to loop
right above us. you can imagine my excitement, going to the airport to
see him land, he was already changing out of his short-shorts and
disassembling his glider to put it away for the trip. it was fun sitting
in the cockpit and putting on his headgear and listening to all the
chatter. Beautiful weekend and a really cool experience.

Godspeed Bill and hope to see you again.

brent

MickiMinner
February 13th 09, 09:49 PM
My first memory of Bill was at the 1998 15m nationals. OF was flying
a brand new genesis, and finished so well, that he decided to
celebrate by flying a loop at the finish gate...too bad about the FAA
inspector visiting the contest site at the time he performed the
loop. What a great competitor, and fantastic pilot.
Micki Minner

Hunter[_2_]
February 18th 09, 05:08 PM
I was very surprised and saddened when I logged on to the rec.soaring
newsgroup to see the notice of celebration of Bills life. I had to
look back several pages to see the first notice of Bill having gone
missing. I first meet Bill in the late 80's, he was cutting path
through the soaring community and I was new to the community. Some
folks did not like Bill's low finishes, like when he was winning the
Cal City contest only to be disqualified by a very low finish right
past the judges seating area. Bill was always very graticious to a new
guy like me and he took time to go gliding with me and lead me around
on several cross countries. Bill did this as a national ranked pilot
when members from my own glider port would only tell me I have to keep
up becasue they will not wait! Bill would thermal in reverse with his
spoilers open to come down to my level in the thermal and then lead me
up the thermal teaching me how to get the most out of the climb. Bill
lead this newbie around several 300 K courses. I am saddened and I
wish his family and friends to be left with all the great memories of
Bill.

Good Bye Bill, godspeed

On Feb 9, 1:24*pm, Tim Taylor > wrote:
> Many of us received word this morning that Bill is missing and
> presumed dead in a body surfing accident in Mexico (Thanks, Roy). *Was
> not sure how it would affect me, but I have been pretty subdued all
> day. *Hard to think Bill won't be there to call when I need advice on
> flying the Ventus and which way to go for my next glider. *Bill had
> this infectious sense of humour that I always enjoyed. *Glider.com had
> a great joke section.
>
> Still remember the first time I met him. *I was crewing at Minden in
> the late 80's and he arrived from Southern Ca for a contest in usual
> Bill style. *They (I think it was Bill and Roy) flew up from Cal City
> and he climbs out of the glider wearing a tee shirt and basketball
> shorts (back when they were short). *300 miles of some of the worst
> country to cross and it was just a casual flight.
>
> At Uvalde many years later I remember watching Oscar Fox flying past
> me at warp speed down on the deck on a run toward Hondo. *He was never
> afraid to push hard during a contest.
>
> Godspeed Bill, we will miss you.
>
> http://billbartell.com/

February 18th 09, 05:19 PM
On Feb 9, 4:24*pm, Tim Taylor > wrote:
> Many of us received word this morning that Bill is missing and
> presumed dead in a body surfing accident in Mexico (Thanks, Roy). *Was
> not sure how it would affect me, but I have been pretty subdued all
> day. *Hard to think Bill won't be there to call when I need advice on
> flying the Ventus and which way to go for my next glider. *Bill had
> this infectious sense of humour that I always enjoyed. *Glider.com had
> a great joke section.
>
> Still remember the first time I met him. *I was crewing at Minden in
> the late 80's and he arrived from Southern Ca for a contest in usual
> Bill style. *They (I think it was Bill and Roy) flew up from Cal City
> and he climbs out of the glider wearing a tee shirt and basketball
> shorts (back when they were short). *300 miles of some of the worst
> country to cross and it was just a casual flight.
>
> At Uvalde many years later I remember watching Oscar Fox flying past
> me at warp speed down on the deck on a run toward Hondo. *He was never
> afraid to push hard during a contest.
>
> Godspeed Bill, we will miss you.
>
> http://billbartell.com/

Bill was a classic. He was easily the most competitive individual I
think I have ever met.
I remember at the 15M nationals a few years ago, we were in the top
couple places and ended up at the
local laundromat doing what pilots do.
We were both putting our stuff in dryers at the same time. He looked
over at me and said "wanna race?"

UH

Martin Eiler[_2_]
February 19th 09, 03:45 AM
Bill was a consummate racer.
I remember at the end of a task day at a Cal City regionals, asking him
what his secret was for going fast. He smiled and said "don't turn".
We've lost one of the better racers of our time.

M Eiler

>Bill was a classic. He was easily the most competitive individual I
>think I have ever met.
>I remember at the 15M nationals a few years ago, we were in the top
>couple places and ended up at the
>local laundromat doing what pilots do.
>We were both putting our stuff in dryers at the same time. He looked
>over at me and said "wanna race?"
>
>UH

Steve Leonard[_2_]
February 19th 09, 05:00 AM
Remember the ABC Sports bit about one of the So Cal contests of the 80s? I
remember the wonderful radio call from Bill. "Oscar Fox is Double
Cheesburger." Next thing they show is Bill in a field, loading the
Jantar 2B in the trailer. That must have been the California version of
Aux Vache.

I got to meet him at Littlefield in 1993 when he was flying/riding back
seat in a Nimbus 3D. Great enthusiasm for flying and a heck of a neat
personality.

Steve Leonard
ZS

Google