PDA

View Full Version : Glasair rescue possibility?

danlj
February 13th 09, 12:06 AM
While visiting a friend yesterday, I saw a Glasair sitting on the
ramp. My friend said that it is no longer being flown, and was given
to a now-defunct aviation school by the builder. Apparently it has a
blueprinted engine and was flown a good bit before this.

I am simply curious whether there's a person in the homebuilt
community who might be qualified and interested in resurrecting this
orphan... I have no idea what its condition is - it simply looks
beautiful from a distance.

I have no ownership interest; am just a bystander... it seems a shame
to have a lovely craft like this simply gather dust.

drdan AT wwt.net

stol
February 13th 09, 02:20 PM
On Feb 12, 5:06*pm, danlj > wrote:
> While visiting a friend yesterday, I saw a Glasair sitting on the
> ramp. My friend said that it is no longer being flown, and was given
> to a now-defunct aviation school by the builder. Apparently it has a
> blueprinted engine and was flown a good bit before this.
>
> I am simply curious whether there's a person in the homebuilt
> community who might be qualified and interested in resurrecting this
> orphan... *I have no idea what its condition is - it simply looks
> beautiful from a distance.
>
> I have no ownership interest; am just a bystander... it seems a shame
> to have a lovely craft like this simply gather dust.
>
> drdan AT wwt.net

Run the N number, find the registered owner, contact them ans see if
they will sell it... Kinda simple.. IIRC they are composite and if it
sat in the sun for a long time that might cause weakness in the
structure,,, YMMV.

Sad to see someones dream rotting away.

Ben.

Charlie[_2_]
February 13th 09, 10:53 PM
danlj wrote:
> While visiting a friend yesterday, I saw a Glasair sitting on the
> ramp. My friend said that it is no longer being flown, and was given
> to a now-defunct aviation school by the builder. Apparently it has a
> blueprinted engine and was flown a good bit before this.
>
> I am simply curious whether there's a person in the homebuilt
> community who might be qualified and interested in resurrecting this
> orphan... I have no idea what its condition is - it simply looks
> beautiful from a distance.
>
> I have no ownership interest; am just a bystander... it seems a shame
> to have a lovely craft like this simply gather dust.
>
> drdan AT wwt.net
Care to share the location & N number?

February 14th 09, 12:11 AM
On Feb 13, 7:20 am, stol > wrote:
IIRC they are composite and if it
> sat in the sun for a long time that might cause weakness in the
> structure,,,

Composite fuselage with steel-tube forward internal structure
to carry the engine, gear and wings. Wings, horizontal tail and rudder
are all-metal.

Dan

Bob Kuykendall
February 14th 09, 01:16 AM
On Feb 13, 4:11*pm, wrote:

> * * * *Composite fuselage with steel-tube forward internal structure
> to carry the engine, gear and wings. Wings, horizontal tail and rudder
> are all-metal.

For GlasStar with high wing, yes. But a regular low-wing Glasair has
all composite structure for the wings, fuselage, and tail. I think
it's a vinylester system instead of epoxy.

If it is covered with any decent light-colored paint or gelcoat it is
unlikely to have been significantly damaged by exposure to the sun.

Thanks, Bob K.

Orval Fairbairn[_2_]
February 14th 09, 04:35 AM
In article
wrote:

> On Feb 13, 7:20 am, stol > wrote:
> IIRC they are composite and if it
> > sat in the sun for a long time that might cause weakness in the
> > structure,,,
>
> Composite fuselage with steel-tube forward internal structure
> to carry the engine, gear and wings. Wings, horizontal tail and rudder
> are all-metal.
>
> Dan

Since when?? All the Glasairs I have seen have all-composite fuselage,
wings, tail, with steel tube structure forward of the firewall, metal
landing gear.

et
February 14th 09, 03:51 PM
On Feb 12, 4:06*pm, danlj > wrote:
> While visiting a friend yesterday, I saw a Glasair sitting on the
> ramp. My friend said that it is no longer being flown, and was given
> to a now-defunct aviation school by the builder. Apparently it has a
> blueprinted engine and was flown a good bit before this.
>
> I am simply curious whether there's a person in the homebuilt
> community who might be qualified and interested in resurrecting this
> orphan... *I have no idea what its condition is - it simply looks
> beautiful from a distance.
>
> I have no ownership interest; am just a bystander... it seems a shame
> to have a lovely craft like this simply gather dust.
>
> drdan AT wwt.net

urban myth

danlj
February 16th 09, 11:00 PM
On Feb 14, 9:51*am, et > wrote:
> On Feb 12, 4:06*pm, danlj > wrote:
>
> > While visiting a friend yesterday, I saw a Glasair sitting on the
> > ramp. My friend said that it is no longer being flown, and was given
> > to a now-defunct aviation school by the builder. Apparently it has a
> > blueprinted engine and was flown a good bit before this.
>
> > I am simply curious whether there's a person in the homebuilt
> > community who might be qualified and interested in resurrecting this
> > orphan... *I have no idea what its condition is - it simply looks
> > beautiful from a distance.
>
> > I have no ownership interest; am just a bystander... it seems a shame
> > to have a lovely craft like this simply gather dust.
>
> > drdan AT wwt.net
>
> urban myth

Actually, it's not an urban myth. I've had contact with the current
owner and indirect contact with the builder; and with 2 interested
homebuilders since I posted. I am not going to expose anyone's
airplane, n-number, or identity, to a discussion list without their
explicit permission. Sorry. Amongst mostly wonderful people there lurk
(others).
drdan.

February 17th 09, 01:28 AM

Bob Kuykendal wrote:
>For GlasStar with high wing, yes. But a regular low-wing Glasair has
>all composite structure for the wings, fuselage, and tail. I think
>it's a vinylester system instead of epoxy.

I misread the original post. Thought I saw Glastar. Sorry.

Dan

Wayne Paul
February 17th 09, 02:05 AM
You are correct, it isn't an urban myth. There was an article titled "Why
is white sacred?" that appeared in Soaring magazine back in 1975. I don't
have access to the entire article; however, here is a synopsis.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Construction/Color_Temp.html

Wayne
HP-14 N990
http://www.soaridaho.com/

"danlj" > wrote in message
On Feb 14, 9:51 am, et > wrote:
> On Feb 12, 4:06 pm, danlj > wrote:
>
> > While visiting a friend yesterday, I saw a Glasair sitting on the
> > ramp. My friend said that it is no longer being flown, and was given
> > to a now-defunct aviation school by the builder. Apparently it has a
> > blueprinted engine and was flown a good bit before this.
>
> > I am simply curious whether there's a person in the homebuilt
> > community who might be qualified and interested in resurrecting this
> > orphan... I have no idea what its condition is - it simply looks
> > beautiful from a distance.
>
> > I have no ownership interest; am just a bystander... it seems a shame
> > to have a lovely craft like this simply gather dust.
>
> > drdan AT wwt.net
>
> urban myth

Actually, it's not an urban myth. I've had contact with the current
owner and indirect contact with the builder; and with 2 interested
homebuilders since I posted. I am not going to expose anyone's
airplane, n-number, or identity, to a discussion list without their
explicit permission. Sorry. Amongst mostly wonderful people there lurk
(others).
drdan.

Orval Fairbairn[_2_]
February 17th 09, 05:22 AM
In article
danlj > wrote:

> On Feb 14, 9:51*am, et > wrote:
> > On Feb 12, 4:06*pm, danlj > wrote:
> >
> > > While visiting a friend yesterday, I saw a Glasair sitting on the
> > > ramp. My friend said that it is no longer being flown, and was given
> > > to a now-defunct aviation school by the builder. Apparently it has a
> > > blueprinted engine and was flown a good bit before this.
> >
> > > I am simply curious whether there's a person in the homebuilt
> > > community who might be qualified and interested in resurrecting this
> > > orphan... *I have no idea what its condition is - it simply looks
> > > beautiful from a distance.
> >
> > > I have no ownership interest; am just a bystander... it seems a shame
> > > to have a lovely craft like this simply gather dust.
> >
> > > drdan AT wwt.net
> >
> > urban myth
>
> Actually, it's not an urban myth. I've had contact with the current
> owner and indirect contact with the builder; and with 2 interested
> homebuilders since I posted. I am not going to expose anyone's
> airplane, n-number, or identity, to a discussion list without their
> explicit permission. Sorry. Amongst mostly wonderful people there lurk
> (others).
> drdan.

How about sharing with us the region of the country? state? city?

Roger (K8RI)
February 17th 09, 08:02 AM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:05:25 -0700, "Wayne Paul" >
wrote:

>You are correct, it isn't an urban myth. There was an article titled "Why
>is white sacred?" that appeared in Soaring magazine back in 1975. I don't
>have access to the entire article; however, here is a synopsis.
>http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Construction/Color_Temp.html

That is why I like Vinyl ester Resin that's used in the Glasair
composite. It has a tolerance to higher temperatures than epoxy.

danlj
February 17th 09, 01:46 PM
On Feb 16, 11:22*pm, Orval Fairbairn >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *danlj > wrote:

> > > urban myth
>
> > Actually, it's not an urban myth. I've had contact with the current
> > owner and indirect contact with the builder; and with 2 interested
> > homebuilders since I posted. I am not going to expose anyone's
> > airplane, n-number, or identity, to a discussion list without their
> > explicit permission. Sorry. Amongst mostly wonderful people there lurk
> > (others).
> > drdan.
>
> How about sharing with us the region of the country? state? city?
SE Minnesota

Google