PDA

View Full Version : Trailer insulation

February 20th 09, 08:54 PM
Hello everyone,
I am trying to insulate a metal trailer because of condensation
problems. I already have a fan running. The trailer is aluminum and
the structure is rounded over the top. A waterproof material is needed
like "closed cell foam" that will not absorb moisure. The problem with
the closed cell foam is that it is very expensive. Otherwise, it is
the best thing to use I believe.
Requirements are a fairly good washable surface, waterproof and
flexible to conform to the curve of the trailer and adhere to it well,
a good insulator and attractive enough to make for a decent looking
interior, something taht is not going to fall apart and/or invite
mildew. The closed cell stuff seems to meet them all hands down.
Anyone know of a supplier of closed cell foam that is reasonably
priced? I have tried local outlets and fabric stores with no luck.
Anyone have another more economical idea / material or maybe a better
idea? Maybe some kind of paint? Don't know....What have you metal
trailer owners used inside of yours?
I do not want to use standard household insulation or styrofoam, it
lacks the mentioned requirements above.
Thanks
Spring is coming fast...
Craig
ASW 15

Ed Gaddy[_2_]
February 20th 09, 10:30 PM
At 20:54 20 February 2009, wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>I am trying to insulate a metal trailer because of condensation
>problems. I already have a fan running. The trailer is aluminum and
>the structure is rounded over the top. A waterproof material is needed
>like "closed cell foam" that will not absorb moisure. The problem with
>the closed cell foam is that it is very expensive. Otherwise, it is
>the best thing to use I believe.
>Requirements are a fairly good washable surface, waterproof and
>flexible to conform to the curve of the trailer and adhere to it well,
>a good insulator and attractive enough to make for a decent looking
>interior, something taht is not going to fall apart and/or invite
>mildew. The closed cell stuff seems to meet them all hands down.
>Anyone know of a supplier of closed cell foam that is reasonably
>priced? I have tried local outlets and fabric stores with no luck.
>Anyone have another more economical idea / material or maybe a better
>idea? Maybe some kind of paint? Don't know....What have you metal
>trailer owners used inside of yours?
>I do not want to use standard household insulation or styrofoam, it
>lacks the mentioned requirements above.
>Thanks
>Spring is coming fast...
>Craig
>ASW 15

We used foam pads for sleeping bags. You can find it at camping stores or
in the outdoor section of department stores. It's flexable & can be cut
easy. Mount it with spray adhesive (3m 77). It is very cheap for closed
cell foam. At a foam supplier I was quoted $1 per inch for similar stuff.
Last year at wave camp, I saw a 1-26 insulated inside the cockpit with
this blue foam. Paint the outside with Cool Seal (metal roof paint).

Google