PDA

View Full Version : Chugger's Projects

February 21st 09, 05:41 AM
To All:

As explained in the Introduction to the Chuggers-Alt Group (and in the
original chuggers Group), the contents of the Files Archive reflect
experiments using inexpensive materials obtained locally, most from
the typical 'box store' such as Home Depot or Lowes. The purpose of
the experiments was to evaluate the strength-to-weight ratio of such
materials to determine their suitability for use in a simple
airplane.

It was understood from the outset that such materials would impose a
weight penalty. But it was also understood that such materials
typically cost up to 90% LESS than aviation-grade materials.

The experiments involved structures of the most basic nature; the kind
of thing you're liable to see in an airplane designed in the 1920's.
Such structures reflect a virtual MINIMUM of those needed for safe
flight. One of the main reasons for using such structures is that
they can be easily duplicated by almost ANYONE.

My experiments, from the very first, have attracted a significant
volume of messages from people urging me to consider more MODERN
components & structures, such as the quasi-composite structures used
by the late Ken Rand. The messages pointed out that Kenny's
construction methods offered significant improvement when compared to
my strut-braced, open-cockpit version of home-built reality. Which is
true.

For anyone wishing to engage in experiments involving these more
modern techniques, I urge YOU to do so. Your results will be more
than welcome to the Chuggers-Alt Group. But it would be impossible
for me to engage in such experiments due to the need for additional
space, time and funds.

-Bob Hoover

Google