PDA

View Full Version : Art Kramer, your computer may be infected

old hoodoo
May 24th 04, 12:07 AM
Art:

I am getting emails from what may be your computer that is showing a virus attached.
I suggest you virus scan your computer.

Something like this happened to mine once.

Al

Brian
May 24th 04, 01:37 AM
"old hoodoo" > wrote in message
> Art:
>
> I am getting emails from what may be your computer that is showing a virus
attached.
> I suggest you virus scan your computer.
>
> Something like this happened to mine once.

If you get a mail from Art Kramer that's infected, it's not Art that's been
hit. Almost all new viruses spoof the from address based on address book
entries. The only way to figure it out is take the IP from the E-mail and
trace it from there. It's a big reason smart mail admins have turned off the
automatic reply's to infected E-mails.

Chad Irby
May 24th 04, 02:22 AM
In article >,
"Brian" > wrote:

> "old hoodoo" > wrote in message
> > Art:
> >
> > I am getting emails from what may be your computer that is showing
> > a virus attached. I suggest you virus scan your computer.
> >
> > Something like this happened to mine once.
>
> If you get a mail from Art Kramer that's infected, it's not Art that's been
> hit. Almost all new viruses spoof the from address based on address book
> entries. The only way to figure it out is take the IP from the E-mail and
> trace it from there. It's a big reason smart mail admins have turned off the
> automatic reply's to infected E-mails.

Some of the more annoying viruses have the habit of looking through your
newsgroups and skimming off the emails of people in the newsgroups
you're reading, so it could be *anyone* who's reading this newsgroup.

I've also gotten a couple from someone who's obviously reading
sci.military.moderated...

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.

ArtKramr
May 24th 04, 02:42 AM
>Subject: Art Kramer, your computer may be infected
>From: "old hoodoo"
>Date: 5/23/04 4:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time

Thanks for the heads up. Ran spybot and detecterd 26 bad guys. All gone now I
hope. Lemme know if you get any repeats. Much abliged.

Arthur

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Bob Urz
May 24th 04, 02:56 AM
ArtKramr wrote:
>>Subject: Art Kramer, your computer may be infected
>>From: "old hoodoo"
>>Date: 5/23/04 4:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>>

> Thanks for the heads up. Ran spybot and detecterd 26 bad guys. All gone now I
> hope. Lemme know if you get any repeats. Much abliged.
>
> Arthur
>
> Arthur Kramer
> 344th BG 494th BS
> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

You need to run Norton or another anti virus also.

Bob

ArtKramr
May 24th 04, 03:34 AM
>Subject: Re: Art Kramer, your computer may be infected
>From: Bob Urz
>Date: 5/23/04 6:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>

>ArtKramr wrote:
>>>Subject: Art Kramer, your computer may be infected
>>>From: "old hoodoo"
>>>Date: 5/23/04 4:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>>>

>> Thanks for the heads up. Ran spybot and detecterd 26 bad guys. All gone now
>> hope. Lemme know if you get any repeats. Much abliged.
>>
>> Arthur
>>
>> Arthur Kramer
>> 344th BG 494th BS
>> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
>> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
>> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
>
>You need to run Norton or another anti virus also.
>
>Bob

Yup. Ran McAfee as well Thanks.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Gernot Hassenpflug
May 24th 04, 12:43 PM

>> Subject: Re: Art Kramer, your computer may be infected From:
>> Bob Urz Date: 5/23/04 6:56 PM Pacific
>> Daylight Time Message-id: >
>>
>> ArtKramr wrote:
>>> Thanks for the heads up. Ran spybot and detecterd 26 bad
>>> guys. All gone now
>>> hope. Lemme know if you get any repeats. Much abliged.

>> You need to run Norton or another anti virus also.

ArtKramr> Yup. Ran McAfee as well Thanks.

Art (and others), you should ideally be running an anti-virus software
*all the time*, not just when you get a report of your PC
roasted. That, and a firewall (free ones available) to protect your
Windows machines as much as possible under the circumstances (of
actually having a machine running Windows, hehe). That way you can
still use not terribly good mail and newsgroup programs and not worry
about it.

Good luck on staying virus-clean.
--
G Hassenpflug * IJN & JMSDF equipment/history fan

Google