PDA

View Full Version : Airshow over.. let's go see some Rockets

Glen in Orlando
March 16th 09, 02:52 AM
As soon as the Airshow ended today we realized that the shuttle was set to
depart in just 3 hours... so.. grab some food and go watch a Rocket Launch!!
(my kid grabbed the camera and didn't realize it was still set at a high
shutter speed from the airshow.. hence the super dark background)

Glen in Orlano

Bernd Rosemeier
March 16th 09, 09:00 AM
Good kid, fine picture!

Bernd

"Glen in Orlando" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
g.com...
> As soon as the Airshow ended today we realized that the shuttle was set to
> depart in just 3 hours... so.. grab some food and go watch a Rocket
> Launch!!
> (my kid grabbed the camera and didn't realize it was still set at a high
> shutter speed from the airshow.. hence the super dark background)
>
> Glen in Orlano

John Szalay
March 16th 09, 12:57 PM
"Glen in Orlando" > wrote in
g.com:

> As soon as the Airshow ended today we realized that the shuttle was
> set to depart in just 3 hours... so.. grab some food and go watch a
> Rocket Launch!! (my kid grabbed the camera and didn't realize it was
> still set at a high shutter speed from the airshow.. hence the super
> dark background)
>
> Glen in Orlano

Jusy my opinion, but I like the dark background.
helps keep the focus on the shuttle.

Glen in Orlando
March 16th 09, 09:05 PM
Jim...
It is awe inspiring (And i've been to nearly 40 launches of one type or
another). Back in my college days we could get right onto the Cape, pretty
close to the VAB.
These days they keep you back further.
This is across the river, oh, about 12 miles or so. This was taken with a
200mm lens... wish I had a larger/longer piece of glass... This one was one
of the most heavily attended/watched launch in a looong time. I think the
combination of great weather, a sunday launch, and the end of the shuttle
program looming combined to make this one a must see.
Glen in Orlando
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
> g.com...
>> As soon as the Airshow ended today we realized that the shuttle was set
>> to depart in just 3 hours... so.. grab some food and go watch a Rocket
>> Launch!!
>> (my kid grabbed the camera and didn't realize it was still set at a high
>> shutter speed from the airshow.. hence the super dark background)
>
> Still a good picture. I always have wanted to see (and feel) a launch.
> How close were you, and how long of a lens did you use for that picture?
> --
> Jim in NC

Morgans[_2_]
March 16th 09, 09:40 PM
"Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
g.com...
> As soon as the Airshow ended today we realized that the shuttle was set to
> depart in just 3 hours... so.. grab some food and go watch a Rocket
> Launch!!
> (my kid grabbed the camera and didn't realize it was still set at a high
> shutter speed from the airshow.. hence the super dark background)

Still a good picture. I always have wanted to see (and feel) a launch.
How close were you, and how long of a lens did you use for that picture?
--
Jim in NC

Morgans[_2_]
March 16th 09, 10:37 PM
"Glen in Orlando" > wrote

> These days they keep you back further.
> This is across the river, oh, about 12 miles or so. This was taken with a
> > 200mm lens... wish I had a larger/longer piece of glass...

With a 200mm lens and 12 miles away, I suppose that is still enough to feel
the concussion waves in your chest? I want to feel that once, at least.
--
Jim in NC

Glen in Orlando
March 17th 09, 02:16 AM
Yes.. you can hear/feel the rumble... yesterday was especially nice as there
was a good breeze coming in off the ocean past the pad and towards us to the
west...
Come on down and witness one yourself.. it's a nice day/night out.
Glen in Orlando

"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Glen in Orlando" > wrote
>
>> These days they keep you back further.
>> This is across the river, oh, about 12 miles or so. This was taken with
>> a > 200mm lens... wish I had a larger/longer piece of glass...
>
> With a 200mm lens and 12 miles away, I suppose that is still enough to
> feel the concussion waves in your chest? I want to feel that once, at
> least.
> --
> Jim in NC

Scubabix
March 18th 09, 01:14 AM
And this is what it looked like 170 miles north in Jacksonville.
This is the first one I have been able to see.

Rob

"Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
ng.com...
> Jim...
> It is awe inspiring (And i've been to nearly 40 launches of one type or
> another). Back in my college days we could get right onto the Cape, pretty
> close to the VAB.
> These days they keep you back further.
> This is across the river, oh, about 12 miles or so. This was taken with a
> 200mm lens... wish I had a larger/longer piece of glass... This one was
> one
> of the most heavily attended/watched launch in a looong time. I think the
> combination of great weather, a sunday launch, and the end of the shuttle
> program looming combined to make this one a must see.
> Glen in Orlando
> "Morgans" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
>> g.com...
>>> As soon as the Airshow ended today we realized that the shuttle was set
>>> to depart in just 3 hours... so.. grab some food and go watch a Rocket
>>> Launch!!
>>> (my kid grabbed the camera and didn't realize it was still set at a high
>>> shutter speed from the airshow.. hence the super dark background)
>>
>> Still a good picture. I always have wanted to see (and feel) a launch.
>> How close were you, and how long of a lens did you use for that picture?
>> --
>> Jim in NC

Dave Kearton[_2_]
March 18th 09, 01:47 AM
"Scubabix" > wrote in message

You guys are so lucky, by the time I get to see the shuttle - it looks like
a hole in the roof.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton