PDA

View Full Version : Another 'new' engine design...

Dan D[_2_]
March 16th 09, 11:10 PM
http://engineeringtv.com/blogs/etv/archive/2008/07/01/opposed-piston-opposed-cylinder-engine.aspx

bildan
March 17th 09, 12:57 PM
On Mar 16, 5:10*pm, "Dan D" > wrote:
> http://engineeringtv.com/blogs/etv/archive/2008/07/01/opposed-piston-...

There is a long history of "pull-rod" opposed piston engines like this
one. Try Googling "DOXFORD OPPOSED PISTON" to see some huge
stationary engines using this principal.

March 17th 09, 02:26 PM
On Mar 16, 5:10*pm, "Dan D" > wrote:
> http://engineeringtv.com/blogs/etv/archive/2008/07/01/opposed-piston-...

New? With pistons? The piston and cylinder idea has seen
numerous layouts, but we're still using pistons and cylinders. The
"new" layouts mostly just add complexity. Pistons and cylinders were
invented to pump water about 500 years ago. Maybe even before that.
Not much "new" about that, is there?
When I was a kid, there was a "new, revolutionary" engine in
about every other issue of Mechanix Illustrated and Popular Mechanics.
I don't see any of them in cars or airplanes, except for the
occasional Wankel. All the others, hundreds of them, never made it.
Our cars and trucks are still using the inline-cylinder concept,
driving a single crankshaft, four-stroke, exactly like Henry Ford's
Model T engines of 1912 or whenever. Or the Wright Brother's 1903
engine. Oh, sure, our engines run at a higher RPM and have higher
compression and have computerized ignition and fuel controls and last
longer, but they're still the same ancient piston-and-cylinder four-
stroke affairs.

Dan

Google