PDA

View Full Version : Wilbur Wright 'n stuff

wright1902glider
March 26th 09, 04:01 PM
Wilbur and Orville Wright are the source of many a great quote. They
had a perspective on life, work, and the flying problem that many
folks would do well to adopt. That being: chop the problem into little
peices and work on them in stages. And if you don't know how to do
something, then get some books and learn. If that still doesn't do it,
use your skill and imagination to MAKE a way that works. And don't be
afraid of making a mistake or two. Just be careful. If you injur or
kill yourself, it'll cut into your building time. And that sucks.

I highly recommend both "How We Invented the Airplane" by Orville
Wright and Fred C. Kelly as a quick-read.

But more importantly, if you can find them, "The Papers of Wilbur and
Orville Wright", edited by Marvin McFarland. Its a 2-volume set. Try
an old library or maybe a University library first. Its literally a
transcript of Wilbur and Orville's notebooks and letters from 1899 -
1912 and beyond. Fantastic stuff, especially the 1901 and 1902
sections. You WILL want to learn trigonometry after that!

Snow day today. Officially being sent home at 10:00 AM, which is now.
Its about a foot deep already and I've got to go 23 mi. Wish me luck.

Harry

Bob Hoover
March 27th 09, 02:20 AM
On Mar 26, 9:01*am, wright1902glider > wrote:
> Wilbur and Orville Wright are the source of many a great quote. They
> had a perspective on life, work, and the flying problem that many
> folks would do well to adopt.

YES! Let us get the money-hungry types OUT of grass-roots aviation.
Let us re-examine our roots. Let us RE-LEARN from those who have gone
before. This business of a 'new' solution every week... when the
people are not aware of the OLD solutions that not only work but have
been worthy of our attention for MORE THAN 100 YEARS.... let us be
damn sure not to throw them out with the dish-water!

You... yes, YOU -- the guy reading this -- You can do all this
stuff... to learn to fly, to learn to weld, to learn the unlearnable
mix of mechanics, physics and thermodynamics that is the hear & soul
of a RELIABLE aircraft engine.

Governments don't form themselves. WE form governments to accomplish
collectively what we are unable to do individually. But the instant
we lose sight of that fact we find that the thing we've created for
OUR purposes will begin to shape reality so as to insure its long-term
survival, even when it is no longer required. We must not allow that
to happen. WE are the ones paying the bills. And hiring the
stewards. When those stewards begin trying to run things for their
OWN purposes we need to kick them out of there; to get rid of them.
And start to do more of their functions for ourselves. When we FAIL
to do so we find ourselves being locked out of the sky; being told we
are not COMPETENT to resolve our own problems. Which is nonsense,
pure and simple. And if you don't believe me, just ask Oriville
Wright's flight instructor.

-R.S.Hoover

Tim Ward[_1_]
March 27th 09, 05:39 AM
"wright1902glider" > wrote in message
> Wilbur and Orville Wright are the source of many a great quote. They
> had a perspective on life, work, and the flying problem that many
> folks would do well to adopt. That being: chop the problem into little
> peices and work on them in stages. And if you don't know how to do
> something, then get some books and learn. If that still doesn't do it,
> use your skill and imagination to MAKE a way that works. And don't be
> afraid of making a mistake or two. Just be careful. If you injur or
> kill yourself, it'll cut into your building time. And that sucks.
>
> I highly recommend both "How We Invented the Airplane" by Orville
> Wright and Fred C. Kelly as a quick-read.
>
> But more importantly, if you can find them, "The Papers of Wilbur and
> Orville Wright", edited by Marvin McFarland. Its a 2-volume set. Try
> an old library or maybe a University library first. Its literally a
> transcript of Wilbur and Orville's notebooks and letters from 1899 -
> 1912 and beyond. Fantastic stuff, especially the 1901 and 1902
> sections. You WILL want to learn trigonometry after that!
>
> Snow day today. Officially being sent home at 10:00 AM, which is now.
> Its about a foot deep already and I've got to go 23 mi. Wish me luck.
>
> Harry

That book is probably one of the only good things to come out of all the
legal wrangling of the Montgomery heirs with the Wright brothers.
I seriously doubt Orville would have taken the time to recount all that
history if it hadn't been for the suit.

Tim Ward

Stealth Pilot[_2_]
March 27th 09, 04:56 PM
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:20:10 -0700 (PDT), Bob Hoover
> wrote:

>On Mar 26, 9:01*am, wright1902glider > wrote:
>> Wilbur and Orville Wright are the source of many a great quote. They
>> had a perspective on life, work, and the flying problem that many
>> folks would do well to adopt.
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>YES! Let us get the money-hungry types OUT of grass-roots aviation.
>Let us re-examine our roots. Let us RE-LEARN from those who have gone
>before. This business of a 'new' solution every week... when the
>people are not aware of the OLD solutions that not only work but have
>been worthy of our attention for MORE THAN 100 YEARS.... let us be
>damn sure not to throw them out with the dish-water!
>
>You... yes, YOU -- the guy reading this -- You can do all this
>stuff... to learn to fly, to learn to weld, to learn the unlearnable
>mix of mechanics, physics and thermodynamics that is the hear & soul
>of a RELIABLE aircraft engine.
>
>Governments don't form themselves. WE form governments to accomplish
>collectively what we are unable to do individually. But the instant
>we lose sight of that fact we find that the thing we've created for
>OUR purposes will begin to shape reality so as to insure its long-term
>survival, even when it is no longer required. We must not allow that
>to happen. WE are the ones paying the bills. And hiring the
>stewards. When those stewards begin trying to run things for their
>OWN purposes we need to kick them out of there; to get rid of them.
>And start to do more of their functions for ourselves. When we FAIL
>to do so we find ourselves being locked out of the sky; being told we
>are not COMPETENT to resolve our own problems. Which is nonsense,
>pure and simple. And if you don't believe me, just ask Oriville
>Wright's flight instructor.
>
>-R.S.Hoover

I learnt to fly in 1971. I've never not had some focus on aviation
since that time although I spent 18 1/2 years away from full size
aviation during which time I was a competitive aeromodeller . so with
37 years aviation focus and learning behind me.
your words are the truth.

we have a perpetual battle with the self preserving authorities.
the best way to win this battle is to follow the successful precedent
set by the canadian guys out in the sticks.

ignore totally the regulatory nay saying and get on with doing it
yourself competently. make sure you enjoy it and be sure to share the
fun and your knowledge.

it is not anarchy. it is the pursuit of engineering competence in the
face of clueless, largely irrelevant, government regulatory
flatulence.

Stealth Pilot

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
March 30th 09, 04:36 AM
"wright1902glider" > wrote in message
> Wilbur and Orville Wright are the source of many a great quote. They
> had a perspective on life, work, and the flying problem that many
> folks would do well to adopt. That being: chop the problem into little
> peices and work on them in stages. And if you don't know how to do
> something, then get some books and learn. If that still doesn't do it,
> use your skill and imagination to MAKE a way that works. And don't be
> afraid of making a mistake or two. Just be careful. If you injur or
> kill yourself, it'll cut into your building time. And that sucks.

Some online resources...

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/Wright/airplane/shortw.html

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Bob Hoover
March 30th 09, 04:53 PM
On Mar 29, 8:36*pm, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" <The Sea Hawk @See My
Sig.com> wrote:

> Some online resources...
>
> http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/Wright/airplane/shortw.html

Dear Geoff (and the Group)

There is some LOVELY stuff in there. Print it out. Preserve it in a
binder of some sort. Facilitate its 'discovery' by your grand-kids.
Allow them to help you 'remember' the hard parts :-)

Those battery-powered airplanes from Harbor Freight do a good job of
sparking interest. Ditto for working on the tail-feathers of...
something. But the hands-down favorite is taking them for a ride.

-R.S.Hoover

Google