PDA

View Full Version : ATC Question; IFR descent clearance

nan
April 30th 09, 10:03 PM
I'm a private IFR pilot. This clearance always confuses me: I am on a
STAR with a published altitude restriction of 6000 feet at fix. ATC
cleared me to descend and cross fix at 6000. 10 miles from the fix,
ATC tells me to "descend to 4000." Do i still have to cross the fix at
6000?

Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]
April 30th 09, 10:24 PM
nan wrote:

> I'm a private IFR pilot. This clearance always confuses me: I am on a
> STAR with a published altitude restriction of 6000 feet at fix. ATC
> cleared me to descend and cross fix at 6000. 10 miles from the fix,
> ATC tells me to "descend to 4000." Do i still have to cross the fix at
> 6000?

No, if you were still expected to cross the fix at 6000 an appropriate
crossing restriction would be issued with the clearance to 4000.

Stealth Pilot[_2_]
May 1st 09, 09:37 AM
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:03:33 -0700 (PDT), nan >
wrote:

>I'm a private IFR pilot. This clearance always confuses me: I am on a
>STAR with a published altitude restriction of 6000 feet at fix. ATC
>cleared me to descend and cross fix at 6000. 10 miles from the fix,
>ATC tells me to "descend to 4000." Do i still have to cross the fix at
>6000?

dont ask us. ask the ATC guy. he may have overlooked something.
they are human.

Dan Luke[_2_]
May 1st 09, 11:07 PM
"nan" wrote:

> I am on a
> STAR with a published altitude restriction of 6000 feet at fix. ATC
> cleared me to descend and cross fix at 6000. 10 miles from the fix,
> ATC tells me to "descend to 4000." Do i still have to cross the fix at
> 6000?

No. The new altitude assignment supercedes anything previous, including the
published altitudes in the STAR.

Of course, it is your responsibility to notice if 4000' is a screwup that
will put you into a mountain.

--
Dan

T182T at 4R4