PDA

View Full Version : Now you don't... - red-bull-bird-2_1401093i.jpg (1/1) [22K]

Netko
May 12th 09, 11:27 PM
Bird strike at the Red Bull air race in San Diego - the after shot.

Maple1
May 13th 09, 03:23 AM
Netko wrote:
> Bird strike at the Red Bull air race in San Diego - the after shot.

That could have been SOOOOOO BAD

Orval Fairbairn[_2_]
May 13th 09, 04:40 AM
In article >,
Maple1 > wrote:

> Netko wrote:
> > Bird strike at the Red Bull air race in San Diego - the after shot.

> That could have been SOOOOOO BAD

I agree!

It looks as if he hit the pelican either with the gear or the prop.

A bird as big as a pelican at that speed would go through to the main
spar or take away a stabilizer. A canopy hit would almost certainly be
instantly fatal, as would be a stabilizer hit.

Bob (not my real pseudonym)
May 13th 09, 06:25 AM
On Tue, 12 May 2009 23:27:29 +0100, Netko >
wrote:

>Bird strike at the Red Bull air race in San Diego - the after shot.

"Only a flesh wound!"

Maple1
May 13th 09, 07:23 AM
Bob (not my real pseudonym) wrote:
> On Tue, 12 May 2009 23:27:29 +0100, Netko >
> wrote:
>

>>Bird strike at the Red Bull air race in San Diego - the after shot.
>

> "Only a flesh wound!"

Take a peek at the Video on You Tube wow it struck the tail of the plane
What luck when you see the damage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRRkBNf8T9w

Orval Fairbairn[_2_]
May 13th 09, 04:39 PM
In article >,
Maple1 > wrote:

> Bob (not my real pseudonym) wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 May 2009 23:27:29 +0100, Netko >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Bird strike at the Red Bull air race in San Diego - the after shot.
> >

> > "Only a flesh wound!"
>

> Take a peek at the Video on You Tube wow it struck the tail of the plane
> What luck when you see the damage
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRRkBNf8T9w

He was luck that the LH gear hit the pelican first! There were still
heave enough fragments to make a very big hole in the LH stab.

Had the whole bird hit the stab, it probably have taken it off.

Google