PDA

View Full Version : New airplane design

Route89
May 17th 09, 03:07 AM
I've come up with what I think is a good, original design for an ultralight or ARV airplane, and I've reached the point where I'm considering actually building and flying a full scale airplane. I've built and flown many R/C models, 1/6, 1/4, and 1/3 scale, I've been to Osh Kosh for the past 20 years, etc. I'd like to post some pictures of it on this forum to get some reactions, advice, and suggestions, but I'm a little worried that someone might steal the design. I entered it in an EAA design contest, but that was a long time ago. What can I do to protect my design? Is an 'ornamental design' patent the way to go? How much time and money would that take? Or do you just put your design out there and 'wing' it? THANKS!

Stealth Pilot[_2_]
May 17th 09, 02:40 PM
On Sun, 17 May 2009 03:07:13 +0100, Route89
> wrote:

>I've come up with what I think is a good, original design for an
>ultralight or ARV airplane, and I've reached the point where I'm
>considering actually building and flying a full scale airplane. I've
>built and flown many R/C models, 1/6, 1/4, and 1/3 scale, I've been to
>Osh Kosh for the past 20 years, etc. I'd like to post some pictures of
>it on this forum to get some reactions, advice, and suggestions, but
>I'm a little worried that someone might steal the design. I entered it
>in an EAA design contest, but that was a long time ago. What can I do
>to protect my design? Is an 'ornamental design' patent the way to go?
>How much time and money would that take? Or do you just put your design
>out there and 'wing' it? THANKS!

in all honesty yours will be the 189 millionth aircraft design ever
created. you havent done any structural work on the design so no one
is going to waste time building it.
why do you need to publish it at all?
just get on with building it.

Stealth pilot

Brian Whatcott
May 17th 09, 02:43 PM
Route89 wrote:
> I've come up with what I think is a good, original design for an
> ultralight or ARV airplane, and I've reached the point where I'm
> considering actually building and flying a full scale airplane. I've
> built and flown many R/C models, 1/6, 1/4, and 1/3 scale, I've been to
> Osh Kosh for the past 20 years, etc. I'd like to post some pictures of
> it on this forum to get some reactions, advice, and suggestions, but
> I'm a little worried that someone might steal the design. I entered it
> in an EAA design contest, but that was a long time ago. What can I do
> to protect my design? Is an 'ornamental design' patent the way to go?
> How much time and money would that take? Or do you just put your design
> out there and 'wing' it? THANKS!

People who are doing creative work for the first time also think this
way. You probably need to forget about growing rich from your creative
effort. But you can associate your name with a worth while design. By
putting it about, publicizing it and above letting people see it fly.

No matter what protection you may invoke, if the design has useful
features it WILL be changed and copied - because that's the way it goes.

Brian W

Anyolmouse
May 17th 09, 08:01 PM
"Route89" > wrote in message

| I've come up with what I think is a good, original design for an
| ultralight or ARV airplane, and I've reached the point where I'm
| considering actually building and flying a full scale airplane. I've
| built and flown many R/C models, 1/6, 1/4, and 1/3 scale, I've been to
| Osh Kosh for the past 20 years, etc. I'd like to post some pictures of
| it on this forum to get some reactions, advice, and suggestions, but
| I'm a little worried that someone might steal the design. I entered it
| in an EAA design contest, but that was a long time ago. What can I do
| to protect my design? Is an 'ornamental design' patent the way to go?
| How much time and money would that take? Or do you just put your
design
| out there and 'wing' it? THANKS!
|

| --
| Route89

Post your pictures elsewhere, and post your link here if you must. This
is NOT a binaries group.

--
Anyolmouse

Jim Logajan
May 17th 09, 10:09 PM
Route89 > wrote:
> I've come up with what I think is a good, original design for an
> ultralight or ARV airplane, and I've reached the point where I'm
> considering actually building and flying a full scale airplane. I've
> built and flown many R/C models, 1/6, 1/4, and 1/3 scale, I've been to
> Osh Kosh for the past 20 years, etc. I'd like to post some pictures of
> it on this forum to get some reactions, advice, and suggestions,

There is no need to make your design that public at this point if you are
that worried. If you haven't already done this, first locate the nearest
local EAA chapter and join it. You can then ask for help there and you will
likely get better feedback than using an online forum. They are unlikely to
steal your ideas - and you even have the option of asking if any
prospective reviewers object to signing an NDA (non-disclosure agreement)
before revealing your design details to them. That is not something you can
do online.

Route89
May 18th 09, 11:42 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Very helpful.

Google