PDA

View Full Version : Gluing rubber pieces

May 24th 09, 06:15 PM
Trying to repair the foot on the extension laddder I use
in the hangar.

It needs a new rubber foot.

I'm riviting a 1/4" piece or rubber to the aluminum foot.
Then I want to glue a 1/8" piece to the that to cover the
rivet heads.

So the glue joint would mostly be in compression and would
have to have decent shear strength. It wouldn't have to have
more peel strength than what's required to reliably keep the
1/8" piece from falling off.

In the dark ages, I'd reach for the Pliobond. Is there a better
solution these days? Crazy glue of some kind?

Bill Hale Loveland CO

May 24th 09, 06:36 PM
On May 24, 11:15*am, " >
wrote:
> Trying to repair the foot on the extension laddder I use
> in the hangar.
>
> It needs a new rubber foot.
>
> I'm riviting a 1/4" piece or rubber to the aluminum foot.
> Then I want to glue a 1/8" piece to the that to cover the
> rivet heads.
>
> So the glue joint would mostly be in compression and would
> have to have decent shear strength. *It wouldn't have to have
> more peel strength than what's required to reliably keep the
> 1/8" piece from falling off.
>
> In the dark ages, I'd reach for the Pliobond. *Is there a better
> solution these days? *Crazy glue of some kind?
>
> Bill Hale Loveland CO

Maybe tire patching cement? Got a bike tire patch kit handy?

Dan

Brian Whatcott
May 24th 09, 07:46 PM
wrote:
> Trying to repair the foot on the extension laddder I use
> in the hangar.
>
> It needs a new rubber foot.
>
> I'm riviting a 1/4" piece or rubber to the aluminum foot.
> Then I want to glue a 1/8" piece to the that to cover the
> rivet heads.
>
> So the glue joint would mostly be in compression and would
> have to have decent shear strength. It wouldn't have to have
> more peel strength than what's required to reliably keep the
> 1/8" piece from falling off.
>
> In the dark ages, I'd reach for the Pliobond. Is there a better
> solution these days? Crazy glue of some kind?
>
> Bill Hale Loveland CO

I hear that auto rubber bushings (two tubular bushes with rubber in
between) use two part epoxy to fix the rubber

Brian W

Morgans[_2_]
May 25th 09, 05:31 AM
" > wrote

> So the glue joint would mostly be in compression and would
> have to have decent shear strength. It wouldn't have to have
> more peel strength than what's required to reliably keep the
> 1/8" piece from falling off.

I think you might be blinded to a more simple cure.

Can you not wrap the rubber around the piece that it sits on, and
mechanically fasten the rubber on the sides (90 degrees off of the bottom
plane) of the foot, either onto an existing part or to a small piece of
added angle stock?

Either that, or use a thicker piece of rubber, and countersink the rivit. A
piece of tire tread cut to size works great for that kind of thing.
--
Jim in NC

Ed
May 25th 09, 07:30 AM
On Sun, 24 May 2009 10:15:02 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>In the dark ages, I'd reach for the Pliobond. Is there a better
>solution these days? Crazy glue of some kind?
>
>Bill Hale Loveland CO

I'd still reach for pliobond!

kfvorwerk
May 25th 09, 10:20 AM
On May 24, 7:15*am, " >
wrote:
> Trying to repair the foot on the extension laddder I use
> in the hangar.
>
> It needs a new rubber foot.
>
> I'm riviting a 1/4" piece or rubber to the aluminum foot.
> Then I want to glue a 1/8" piece to the that to cover the
> rivet heads.
>
> So the glue joint would mostly be in compression and would
> have to have decent shear strength. *It wouldn't have to have
> more peel strength than what's required to reliably keep the
> 1/8" piece from falling off.
>
> In the dark ages, I'd reach for the Pliobond. *Is there a better
> solution these days? *Crazy glue of some kind?
>
> Bill Hale Loveland CO

I'd use contact cement.
Karl

cavelamb[_2_]
May 25th 09, 12:05 PM
Brian Whatcott wrote:

Shoe Goop

It's great for that kind of stuff.

routund
May 25th 09, 12:10 PM
" > wrote:

>Trying to repair the foot on the extension laddder I use
>in the hangar.
>
>It needs a new rubber foot.
>
>I'm riviting a 1/4" piece or rubber to the aluminum foot.
>Then I want to glue a 1/8" piece to the that to cover the
>rivet heads.
>
>So the glue joint would mostly be in compression and would
>have to have decent shear strength. It wouldn't have to have
>more peel strength than what's required to reliably keep the
>1/8" piece from falling off.
>
>In the dark ages, I'd reach for the Pliobond. Is there a better
>solution these days? Crazy glue of some kind?
>
>Bill Hale Loveland CO

3M Weatherstrip Trim Adhesive. Get it at any auto parts store. Comes in yellow
or black, although sometimes black is hard to find.

Brian Whatcott
May 25th 09, 01:42 PM
cavelamb wrote:
> Brian Whatcott wrote:
>
> Shoe Goop
>
> It's great for that kind of stuff.

Not my suggestion, but sensible, no doubt!

RogerN
May 25th 09, 06:55 PM
"Ed" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 May 2009 10:15:02 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>

>>In the dark ages, I'd reach for the Pliobond. Is there a better
>>solution these days? Crazy glue of some kind?
>>
>>Bill Hale Loveland CO
>
> I'd still reach for pliobond!

I work in maintenance at a tire plant and they keep pliobond in their
storeroom. We used it to glue an airplane tire to a rim for a tire
balancer. I'm not sure what their original purpose for pliobond is at our
plant but I figure it's pretty good for rubber adhesive.

RogerN

Dana M. Hague[_2_]
May 27th 09, 11:58 AM
On Sun, 24 May 2009 10:15:02 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>Trying to repair the foot on the extension laddder I use
>in the hangar.
>
>It needs a new rubber foot.
>
>I'm riviting a 1/4" piece or rubber to the aluminum foot.
>Then I want to glue a 1/8" piece to the that to cover the
>rivet heads.
>... Crazy glue of some kind?

Loctite makes a product called "Black Max", which is a modified
cyanoacrylate adhesive made just for this purpose. It's the best
thing I've ever found for gluing rubber to metal.

-Dana
--
When you get it right
mighty beasts float up into the sky

-Roger Bacon (c1384)

Ken Moffett
May 31st 09, 06:20 PM
cavelamb > wrote in
m:

> Brian Whatcott wrote:
>
> Shoe Goop
>
> It's great for that kind of stuff.

As an aside, did you know that all the "GOOP" adhesives (All-
Purpose...Automotive...Plumbing...Marine...Craft.. .RV...Househol
d...Lawn&Garden...Wood&Furniture) are all the same. I called
the company for some information and happened to get a nice lady
that said so. The differentation is for marketing.

Or you thinking of "Shoe Goo", another one of Eclectic Product's
lines.

ken

cavelamb[_2_]
May 31st 09, 06:23 PM
Ken Moffett wrote:
> cavelamb > wrote in
> m:
>
>> Brian Whatcott wrote:
>>
>> Shoe Goop
>>
>> It's great for that kind of stuff.
>
> As an aside, did you know that all the "GOOP" adhesives (All-
> Purpose...Automotive...Plumbing...Marine...Craft.. .RV...Househol
> d...Lawn&Garden...Wood&Furniture) are all the same. I called
> the company for some information and happened to get a nice lady
> that said so. The differentation is for marketing.
>
> Or you thinking of "Shoe Goo", another one of Eclectic Product's
> lines.
>
> ken

I went and looked. I have both, so what can I say?

Ken Moffett
May 31st 09, 06:29 PM
cavelamb > wrote in
m:

> Ken Moffett wrote:
>> cavelamb > wrote in
>> m:
>>
>>> Brian Whatcott wrote:
>>>
>>> Shoe Goop
>>>
>>> It's great for that kind of stuff.
>>
>> As an aside, did you know that all the "GOOP" adhesives
>> (All-
>> Purpose...Automotive...Plumbing...Marine...Craft.. .RV...Hou
>> sehol d...Lawn&Garden...Wood&Furniture) are all the same.
>> I called the company for some information and happened to
>> get a nice lady that said so. The differentation is for
>> marketing.
>>
>> Or you thinking of "Shoe Goo", another one of Eclectic
>> Product's lines.
>>
>> ken
>
> I went and looked. I have both, so what can I say?

I don't know if the Shoe Goo is different, but the "GOOP"s are
all the same.

ken

cavelamb[_2_]
June 1st 09, 05:55 AM
Ken Moffett wrote:
> cavelamb > wrote in
> m:
>
>> Ken Moffett wrote:
>>> cavelamb > wrote in
>>> m:

>>> As an aside, did you know that all the "GOOP" adhesives
>>> (All-
>>> Purpose...Automotive...Plumbing...Marine...Craft.. .RV...Hou
>>> sehol d...Lawn&Garden...Wood&Furniture) are all the same.
>>> I called the company for some information and happened to
>>> get a nice lady that said so. The differentation is for
>>> marketing.
>>>
>>> Or you thinking of "Shoe Goo", another one of Eclectic
>>> Product's lines.
>>>
>>> ken
>> I went and looked. I have both, so what can I say?
>>

> I don't know if the Shoe Goo is different, but the "GOOP"s are
> all the same.
>
> ken

They smell the same - if that has anything to do with it.

Dan[_12_]
June 1st 09, 11:50 PM
cavelamb wrote:
> Ken Moffett wrote:
>> cavelamb > wrote in
>> m:

>>> I went and looked. I have both, so what can I say?
>>>

>> I don't know if the Shoe Goo is different, but the "GOOP"s are all the
>> same.
>>
>> ken
>
> They smell the same - if that has anything to do with it.

I don't think I want to ask just how familiar you are such things. :)

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

cavelamb[_2_]
June 2nd 09, 05:32 AM
Dan wrote:
> cavelamb wrote:
>> Ken Moffett wrote:
>>> cavelamb > wrote in
>>> m:

>>> I don't know if the Shoe Goo is different, but the "GOOP"s are all
>>> the same.
>>>
>>> ken
>>
>> They smell the same - if that has anything to do with it.
>>

> I don't think I want to ask just how familiar you are such things. :)
>
> Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

You don't have to get all that close, Dan.
They stink pretty strong.

Google