PDA

View Full Version : Homebuilt robotow?

Guppy Pilot
June 13th 09, 09:11 PM
Hey all. I'm looking to surprise the wife with a motorized tow for
our C210. Robotow makes a really interesting thing that's powered by
a cordless drill.. It's a thousand bucks. Was really hoping to
create something more affordable. Anybody got an ideas or plans for
something similar?

Brooks
RV-7 Electrical stuff

Morgans[_2_]
June 13th 09, 10:59 PM
"Guppy Pilot" > wrote in message
> Hey all. I'm looking to surprise the wife with a motorized tow for
> our C210. Robotow makes a really interesting thing that's powered by
> a cordless drill.. It's a thousand bucks. Was really hoping to
> create something more affordable. Anybody got an ideas or plans for
> something similar?

I have seen rigs that have a "towbar looking" arm that hooks onto the plane's
axle, and has the bar curved upwards before coming forward. A drill is mounted
on the arm with a driver wheel chucked into the drill, so when the bar is pushed
downwards the driver in the drill presses against the tire and a linkage is used
to control the trigger on the drill.

Get out in the shop, and start cutting and welding metal! <g>
--
Jim in NC

June 14th 09, 03:24 PM
Item number: 320381853371 on ebay might be more to your liking if the
link-up could be adapted to the c210 nose gear.

John Kimmel[_2_]
June 14th 09, 05:29 PM
Guppy Pilot wrote:
> Hey all. I'm looking to surprise the wife with a motorized tow for
> our C210. Robotow makes a really interesting thing that's powered by
> a cordless drill.. It's a thousand bucks. Was really hoping to
> create something more affordable. Anybody got an ideas or plans for
> something similar?
>
> Brooks
> RV-7 Electrical stuff

There is a kitplanes article where someone made a tow unit using a windshield wiper motor and gearbox.
--
John Kimmel

For I did see my unworthiness in Her sight,
for I was a sinner, destined forever to spend
existence in the presence of the unholy Purple Oyster,
waxing his shell and massaging his most wretched and slimy feet.
For lo, the Purple Oyster doth truly have feet, and the legs thereof,
and the toes thereof, giving him dominion over all the clams of the seas,
and allowing him to go unto the children of men, and tempt them unto destruction.

Peter Dohm
June 15th 09, 01:03 AM
"John Kimmel" > wrote in message
> Guppy Pilot wrote:
>> Hey all. I'm looking to surprise the wife with a motorized tow for
>> our C210. Robotow makes a really interesting thing that's powered by
>> a cordless drill.. It's a thousand bucks. Was really hoping to
>> create something more affordable. Anybody got an ideas or plans for
>> something similar?
>>
>> Brooks
>> RV-7 Electrical stuff
>
> There is a kitplanes article where someone made a tow unit using a
> windshield wiper motor and gearbox.
> --
> John Kimmel

At least that shouldn't be dangerously fast.

Peter ;-)

Stealth Pilot[_2_]
June 15th 09, 10:25 AM
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:03:41 -0400, "Peter Dohm"
> wrote:

>"John Kimmel" > wrote in message
>> Guppy Pilot wrote:
>>> Hey all. I'm looking to surprise the wife with a motorized tow for
>>> our C210. Robotow makes a really interesting thing that's powered by
>>> a cordless drill.. It's a thousand bucks. Was really hoping to
>>> create something more affordable. Anybody got an ideas or plans for
>>> something similar?
>>>
>>> Brooks
>>> RV-7 Electrical stuff
>>
>> There is a kitplanes article where someone made a tow unit using a
>> windshield wiper motor and gearbox.
>> --
>> John Kimmel
>>
>At least that shouldn't be dangerously fast.
>
>Peter ;-)

be a bit of a bugger only being able to use it in the rain.

Morgans[_2_]
June 15th 09, 12:35 PM
"Stealth Pilot" > wrote

> be a bit of a bugger only being able to use it in the rain.

No, the real bugger is not being able to see through the windshield of your car
when it is raining! <g>
--
Jim in NC

Guppy Pilot
June 15th 09, 09:05 PM
Thanks! Just the kind of thing I was looking for!

Brooks

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 09:29:59 -0700, John Kimmel >
wrote:

>Guppy Pilot wrote:
>> Hey all. I'm looking to surprise the wife with a motorized tow for
>> our C210. Robotow makes a really interesting thing that's powered by
>> a cordless drill.. It's a thousand bucks. Was really hoping to
>> create something more affordable. Anybody got an ideas or plans for
>> something similar?
>>
>> Brooks
>> RV-7 Electrical stuff
>
>There is a kitplanes article where someone made a tow unit using a windshield wiper motor and gearbox.

Dan[_12_]
June 17th 09, 05:30 AM
Guppy Pilot wrote:
> Thanks! Just the kind of thing I was looking for!
>
> Brooks
>
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 09:29:59 -0700, John Kimmel >
> wrote:
>
>> Guppy Pilot wrote:
>>> Hey all. I'm looking to surprise the wife with a motorized tow for
>>> our C210. Robotow makes a really interesting thing that's powered by
>>> a cordless drill.. It's a thousand bucks. Was really hoping to
>>> create something more affordable. Anybody got an ideas or plans for
>>> something similar?
>>>
>>> Brooks
>>> RV-7 Electrical stuff
>> There is a kitplanes article where someone made a tow unit using a windshield wiper motor and gearbox.

Just as a matter of curiosity do these things and to the wear on the
tires? I know they shouldn't, but do they?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Google