PDA

View Full Version : stacking coins

wright1902glider
June 17th 09, 03:39 PM
Finished up my kinetic sculpture at 6:30 AM last Saturday morning.
Made it to the race by 8:30. (Photos available at:
http://www.kineticists.org/Community/tabid/56/forumid/1/threadid/278/scope/posts/Default.aspx)
Sound familiar? Good news though. By the end of the project I was
making fairly proficient looking welds in 1" and 3/4" EMT with my
Harbor Freight O-A torch. I think I finally discovered the secret.
Hold the torch back a few inches until the steel heats up some, then
move in. Concentrate on the continuious tube in the joint first to
avoid burning the edge of the butting tube. Start the puddle, add a
drop of filler rod. Then use the torch flame to move the puddle over
to the butting tube. As soon as a spot starts to melt on the butting
tube, play the torch so that the two puddles join. Its kinda like
playing with droplets of water on a glass. The molten droplet of steel
in the puddle will follow the heat of the torch. Once the two puddles
have merged into one and are connected to both tubes, work the torch
forward by moving it in semi-circles back and forth at the edge of the
puddle. Add filler rod consistantly. Watch the angle of the torch to
the joint. It makes a huge difference. Once you get a good puddle
going in steel of this size, you can sort of zip the joint closed.

This would all be easier with better equipment. My torch never seems
to stay in adjustment for more than a minute or two at a time. I found
that welding 1/4 of the joint at a time was the best way, and
alternated between joints on the frame of the project to control
warping. I did get some, but not bad. Now I just need more practice.
And larger tanks. I'm running a "B" tank of Act. and a 40cu/ft of Ox.
That's fine for a small joint here or there, but for a project of any
size, they are way too small. Mine were lasting 45 minutes to an hour
each, and I went through three sets. Maybe its time to upgrade to
75's.

One more thing, be concious both of where your flame goes after
hitting the tube and of what's still hot after you finish a joint. On
several occasions, I wondered whose steaks were burning for several
seconds before realizing that I was roasting my own glove.

Harry

Bob
June 18th 09, 06:45 AM
On Jun 17, 7:39*am, wright1902glider > wrote:
>.... Once you get a good puddle
> going in steel of this size, you can sort of zip the joint closed.

Waytago, Harry!

It matters now what your particular 'secret' may be, once you have
mastered whatever it may be, the joint does indeed seem to 'zip..'
itself closed. In truth, the 'secret' differs for every one of us.
We practice and practice, each time mastering a new part of the
'secret' until the day comes when the Magic Zipper appears, leaving us
grateful and a bit cautious... could it REALLY be that easy?

The interesting thing here is that we keep insisting to ourselves that
the 'secret' is one of the many things you've mention... Torch angle,
torch motion, how the filler-rod is added and how often, the motion of
the torch... even the cooking of our n-th pair of welding gloves.

It all combines -- finally -- into a good weld that progresses
smoothly along the joint that is such a delight that we tend to
overlook the hours of PRACTICE that got us here. This is not to
denigrate your perception but to endorse it. For each of us have done
the same.

And that's the message I hope others will carry away: That each of us
have learned to weld. After mastering a few secrets, of course.
Which means YOU can learn to weld! And should. Once learned it is a
skill not easily forgotten.

-R.S.Hoover

Google