PDA

View Full Version : small o/a torch preferences?

patrick[_2_]
June 18th 09, 11:09 PM
Hello; I'm considering a project - homebuilt recumbent bike- that I'm
going to use as an excuse to buy a smaller o/a torch. I currently have
a victor torch, model 100-with the valves at the bottom of the largish
body and would like to buy one of the smaller torches with the valves
at the top of the body. There's 3 commonly available torches with the
topside control on the north american market- the victor, harris and
smith torch. Any preferences among the 3? Thanks Pat

Gerry van Dyk
June 18th 09, 11:26 PM
I would wholeheartedly recommend the Meco Midget from TM Tech,
although it's probably more expensive than any that you've listed. It
could almost be described as a "jeweler's" o/a torch. I forked out
the bucks and am absolutely delighted with it.

http://tinmantech.chainreactionweb.com/html/meco_midget_torch.php?cart=d49a2a9604b3e54f5a5552d 4c9d44c1b

The other torch commonly used in homebuilt aircraft (that's still
available) is the Henrob 2000. (formerly Dillon etc) Nice handle but
from what I gather it's substantially bulkier and heavier than the
Meco.

http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/

Hope this helps.
Gerry

On Jun 18, 4:09*pm, patrick > wrote:
> Hello; I'm considering a project - homebuilt recumbent bike- that I'm
> going to use as an excuse to buy a smaller o/a torch. I currently have
> a victor torch, model 100-with the valves at the bottom of the largish
> body and would like to buy one of the smaller torches with the valves
> at the top of the body. There's 3 commonly available torches with the
> topside control on the north american market- the victor, harris and
> smith torch. Any preferences *among the 3? Thanks Pat

canuck_bob
June 19th 09, 12:11 AM
I'm a rank amateur OA welder but have been happy with the little
Smith. Wish I had double stage regulators though. My flame settings
wander a bit at the low pressures I use.

cavelamb[_2_]
June 19th 09, 12:27 AM
patrick wrote:
> Hello; I'm considering a project - homebuilt recumbent bike- that I'm
> going to use as an excuse to buy a smaller o/a torch. I currently have
> a victor torch, model 100-with the valves at the bottom of the largish
> body and would like to buy one of the smaller torches with the valves
> at the top of the body. There's 3 commonly available torches with the
> topside control on the north american market- the victor, harris and
> smith torch. Any preferences among the 3? Thanks Pat

I had both a Smith and a Victor.
Both were fine instruments with the right sized tips.

"Small" diameter hoses are recommended.
Less fatigue handling the torch that way.

While I'd love to play with a Meco Midget,
it was just too expensive for my limited budget.

Richard

June 19th 09, 02:57 AM
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:09:06 -0700 (PDT), patrick
> wrote:

>Hello; I'm considering a project - homebuilt recumbent bike- that I'm
>going to use as an excuse to buy a smaller o/a torch. I currently have
>a victor torch, model 100-with the valves at the bottom of the largish
>body and would like to buy one of the smaller torches with the valves
>at the top of the body. There's 3 commonly available torches with the
>topside control on the north american market- the victor, harris and
>smith torch. Any preferences among the 3? Thanks Pat

Henrod.

Stealth Pilot[_2_]
June 19th 09, 11:09 AM
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:57:27 -0400, wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:09:06 -0700 (PDT), patrick
> wrote:
>
>>Hello; I'm considering a project - homebuilt recumbent bike- that I'm
>>going to use as an excuse to buy a smaller o/a torch. I currently have
>>a victor torch, model 100-with the valves at the bottom of the largish
>>body and would like to buy one of the smaller torches with the valves
>>at the top of the body. There's 3 commonly available torches with the
>>topside control on the north american market- the victor, harris and
>>smith torch. Any preferences among the 3? Thanks Pat
>
>Henrod.

clare dont you find your knuckles getting cooked by the henrob?
radiant energy really made the hand uncomfortable after a short
welding stint when I was using one.

I have a Dillon Mk3 but I'd love a little smith to get my hand lust a
little further away but havent found anywhere that carries them in my
country. we seem to be stuck with the comet 3 handle in australia.

Stealth Pilot
Australia

June 20th 09, 03:04 AM
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:09:45 GMT, Stealth Pilot
> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:57:27 -0400, wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:09:06 -0700 (PDT), patrick
> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello; I'm considering a project - homebuilt recumbent bike- that I'm
>>>going to use as an excuse to buy a smaller o/a torch. I currently have
>>>a victor torch, model 100-with the valves at the bottom of the largish
>>>body and would like to buy one of the smaller torches with the valves
>>>at the top of the body. There's 3 commonly available torches with the
>>>topside control on the north american market- the victor, harris and
>>>smith torch. Any preferences among the 3? Thanks Pat
>>
>>Henrod.
>
>clare dont you find your knuckles getting cooked by the henrob?
>radiant energy really made the hand uncomfortable after a short
>welding stint when I was using one.
>
>I have a Dillon Mk3 but I'd love a little smith to get my hand lust a
>little further away but havent found anywhere that carries them in my
>country. we seem to be stuck with the comet 3 handle in australia.
>
>Stealth Pilot
>Australia
I don't have a Henrob but have used one. They are for FINE work - and
where the heat is not re-radiated/reflected back too much. Like
holding an artists brush as far as control is concerned.

Google