PDA

View Full Version : fiberfrax..which way is up?

June 20th 09, 07:45 PM
I'm getting ready to lay down fiberfrax in the cowling. One side is
smooth...the other has a "pebble" type texture. Which side should
face the engine...ie. which side would deal with fire the best?

jerry wass
June 20th 09, 08:10 PM
wrote:
> I'm getting ready to lay down fiberfrax in the cowling. One side is
> smooth...the other has a "pebble" type texture. Which side should
> face the engine...ie. which side would deal with fire the best?

either way will work--the pebble side will probably glue down better.

Which ever you do cover the fiberfrax with SS or Alum foil to keep it
from absorbing oil/gas/etc---Aluminum is OK--if you have a fire, at
least there are no absorbed liquids to burn or transmit heat.Jerry

jerry wass
June 20th 09, 08:52 PM
Jerry Wass wrote:
> wrote:
>> I'm getting ready to lay down fiberfrax in the cowling. One side is
>> smooth...the other has a "pebble" type texture. Which side should
>> face the engine...ie. which side would deal with fire the best?
>
> either way will work--the pebble side will probably glue down better.
>
> Which ever you do cover the fiberfrax with SS or Alum foil to keep it
> from absorbing oil/gas/etc---Aluminum is OK--if you have a fire, at
> least there are no absorbed liquids to burn or transmit heat.Jerry

BTW, I'm "sewing" my fiberfrax on with SS tie wire--go over 2" down thru
firewall, over 1/8", back up thru F.F. then over 2" again--of course you
use about a .035" drill for the .030 wire

Google