PDA

View Full Version : Airplane noise can indeed be annoying

Dave J
July 8th 09, 08:11 PM
I went camping last weekend at the Sunol Regional Wilderness, in Sunol
CA. I took my son (14 mos. old) for a simple car camping/hiking trip
and we had a good time. But I could not get over the amount of
aircraft traffic over the park. It was non-stop!

Now the funny thing is that I'm a pilot, and I've spent countless
boring holes over the San Antonio reservoir (a few miles away).
Morever, I know that the SUNOL intersection is only 10 miles away and
is a fix for A LOT of procedures.

All of this gave me some sympathy for those who are frustrated with
airplane noise. I'm not talking about people who live in the approach
paths for major airports, for whom I have little sympathy, but with
people who unbenknownst to them, live under an important fix, or a
popular practice area.

It was an interesting experience.

-- dave j

PS -- By the way, it was the jet traffic that was most annoying. I
could not tell exactly what was going on, but it sounded like the
airliners descend from the flight levels to SUNOL and then put power
back in to maintain 10k or so. One after the next you could hear
engines spool up.

george
July 8th 09, 11:26 PM
On Jul 9, 7:11*am, Dave J > wrote:

> It was an interesting experience.
A far more interesting experience is when you're flying and suddenly
there is none of that annoying engine noise.

Franklin[_7_]
July 9th 09, 01:08 AM
On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:26:11 -0700 (PDT), george wrote:

> On Jul 9, 7:11*am, Dave J > wrote:
>
>> It was an interesting experience.
> A far more interesting experience is when you're flying and suddenly
> there is none of that annoying engine noise.

That is when you glide, you should be prepared.

Mike Ash
July 9th 09, 05:03 AM
In article
george > wrote:

> On Jul 9, 7:11*am, Dave J > wrote:
>
> > It was an interesting experience.
> A far more interesting experience is when you're flying and suddenly
> there is none of that annoying engine noise.

Somewhat less interesting but far more fun is when there's none of that
annoying engine noise for the whole flight, start to finish. :)

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

Franklin[_7_]
July 9th 09, 08:24 PM
On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 00:03:45 -0400, Mike Ash wrote:

> In article
> >,
> george > wrote:
>
>> On Jul 9, 7:11*am, Dave J > wrote:
>>
>>> It was an interesting experience.
>> A far more interesting experience is when you're flying and suddenly
>> there is none of that annoying engine noise.
>
> Somewhat less interesting but far more fun is when there's none of that
> annoying engine noise for the whole flight, start to finish. :)

That's called "cruising". Learn it.

Franklin

Jim Logajan
July 9th 09, 11:40 PM
Franklin <"Franklin >> wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 00:03:45 -0400, Mike Ash wrote:
>
>> In article
>> >,
>> george > wrote:

>>> A far more interesting experience is when you're flying and suddenly
>>> there is none of that annoying engine noise.
>>
>> Somewhat less interesting but far more fun is when there's none of that
>> annoying engine noise for the whole flight, start to finish. :)
>
> That's called "cruising". Learn it.

Mike is talking about flying gliders. Not really sure what you're talking
about.

Blanche
July 10th 09, 05:14 AM
Returning to the original topic....I live 5 miles due north of a very
busy GA airport, directly under the way-out-there approach to 17.
Strangely enough, the only traffic that bothers me is the police
helicopter as it rushes over my house to wherever...

But, I also live in a city environment where it's rarely and truly
quiet, there's always some ambient noise that intrudes inside the
house.

Franklin[_7_]
July 10th 09, 01:34 PM
On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 17:40:20 -0500, Jim Logajan wrote:

> Franklin <"Franklin >> wrote:
>> On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 00:03:45 -0400, Mike Ash wrote:
>>
>>> In article

>>> Somewhat less interesting but far more fun is when there's none of that
>>> annoying engine noise for the whole flight, start to finish. :)
>>
>> That's called "cruising". Learn it.
>
> Mike is talking about flying gliders. Not really sure what you're talking
> about.

"Cruising" is when you are at the plane's best speed. "Gliding" in
flight without power.

I'll help you with any other terms you might like.

Franklin[_7_]
July 10th 09, 01:35 PM
On 10 Jul 2009 04:14:44 GMT, Blanche wrote:

> Returning to the original topic....I live 5 miles due north of a very
> busy GA airport,

Harstfield? Atlanta Georgia?

> directly under the way-out-there approach to 17.
> Strangely enough, the only traffic that bothers me is the police
> helicopter as it rushes over my house to wherever...

Guilt.

> But, I also live in a city environment where it's rarely and truly
> quiet, there's always some ambient noise that intrudes inside the
> house.

That's Atlanta, I have been there many times.

Mike Ash
July 10th 09, 02:02 PM
In article >,
Franklin <"Franklin >> wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 17:40:20 -0500, Jim Logajan wrote:
>
> > Franklin <"Franklin >> wrote:

> >> That's called "cruising". Learn it.
> >
> > Mike is talking about flying gliders. Not really sure what you're talking
> > about.
>
> "Cruising" is when you are at the plane's best speed. "Gliding" in
> flight without power.
>
> I'll help you with any other terms you might like.

And so "cruising" is related to making an entire flight without engine
noise (or power) how?

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

Morgans[_2_]
July 10th 09, 02:12 PM
"Franklin>" <"Franklin > wrote

> Harstfield? Atlanta Georgia?
>
> That's Atlanta, I have been there many times.

If that was true, you would know Harstfield is not a GA airport.

Also, it is Hartsfield, if you want to spell it the way the rest of us do...
--
Jim in NC

Franklin[_7_]
July 10th 09, 02:40 PM
On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:02:37 -0400, Mike Ash wrote:

> In article >,
> Franklin <"Franklin >> wrote:

>>> Mike is talking about flying gliders. Not really sure what you're talking
>>> about.
>>
>> "Cruising" is when you are at the plane's best speed. "Gliding" is
>> flight without power.
>>
>> I'll help you with any other terms you might like.
>
> And so "cruising" is related to making an entire flight without engine
> noise (or power) how?

Comprehension issue or not a glider and pilot?

Franklin[_7_]
July 10th 09, 02:41 PM
On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:12:28 -0400, Morgans wrote:

> "Franklin>" <"Franklin > wrote
>

>> Harstfield? Atlanta Georgia?
>>
>> That's Atlanta, I have been there many times.
>
> If that was true, you would know Harstfield is not a GA airport.

They moved Atlanta out of Georgia? when was that?

> Also, it is Hartsfield, if you want to spell it the way the rest of us do...

Oh, a NetKop.

Orval Fairbairn[_2_]
July 10th 09, 04:58 PM
In article >,
Franklin <"Franklin >> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:12:28 -0400, Morgans wrote:
>
> > "Franklin>" <"Franklin > wrote
> >

> >> Harstfield? Atlanta Georgia?
> >>
> >> That's Atlanta, I have been there many times.
> >
> > If that was true, you would know Harstfield is not a GA airport.
>
> They moved Atlanta out of Georgia? when was that?
>
> > Also, it is Hartsfield, if you want to spell it the way the rest of us do...
>
> Oh, a NetKop.

Well, dumbass, in this case "GA" means "General Aviation," NOT "Georgia!

If you were a legitimate participant in rec.aviation.piloting, you would
know that.

Ross
July 10th 09, 05:14 PM
Blanche wrote:
> Returning to the original topic....I live 5 miles due north of a very
> busy GA airport, directly under the way-out-there approach to 17.
> Strangely enough, the only traffic that bothers me is the police
> helicopter as it rushes over my house to wherever...
>
> But, I also live in a city environment where it's rarely and truly
> quiet, there's always some ambient noise that intrudes inside the
> house.

Interesting that you say that. I live about 5.5 miles SE of an airport
that has increasing private jet traffic. That not bad. It is the Medical
Helicopter going back and forth from the hospital to the airport at 200'
almost over my house at 10:30PM to put it away for the night. They keep
in on the hospital during the day and seem to put it away at night or if
storms are in the area. This thing sits on top of a 4 story building.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

Jim Logajan
July 10th 09, 05:39 PM
Mike Ash > wrote:
> In article >,
> Franklin <"Franklin >> wrote:
>> I'll help you with any other terms you might like.
>
> And so "cruising" is related to making an entire flight without engine
> noise (or power) how?

Mike, he's a troll.

Blanche
July 10th 09, 07:07 PM
Franklin <"Franklin > wrote:
>On 10 Jul 2009 04:14:44 GMT, Blanche wrote:
>
>> Returning to the original topic....I live 5 miles due north of a very
>> busy GA airport,
>
>Harstfield? Atlanta Georgia?

Hartsfield is not a GA airport. It's a Class B commercial airport
that marginally tolerates GA.

>That's Atlanta, I have been there many times.

congratulations.

Franklin[_7_]
July 10th 09, 09:55 PM
On 10 Jul 2009 18:07:07 GMT, Blanche wrote:

> Franklin <"Franklin > wrote:
>>On 10 Jul 2009 04:14:44 GMT, Blanche wrote:
>>
>>> Returning to the original topic....I live 5 miles due north of a very
>>> busy GA airport,
>>
>>Harstfield? Atlanta Georgia?
>
> Hartsfield is not a GA airport. It's a Class B commercial airport
> that marginally tolerates GA.

I marginally tolerate those Crackers myself.

>>That's Atlanta, I have been there many times.
>
> congratulations.

For nothing I assure you.

Franklin[_7_]
July 10th 09, 09:56 PM
On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:39:18 -0500, Jim Logajan wrote:

> Mike Ash > wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Franklin <"Franklin >> wrote:
>>> I'll help you with any other terms you might like.
>>
>> And so "cruising" is related to making an entire flight without engine
>> noise (or power) how?
>
> Mike, he's a troll.

Mike, Jim's a troll.

Franklin[_7_]
July 10th 09, 09:56 PM
On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:58:18 -0400, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

> In article >,
> Franklin <"Franklin >> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:12:28 -0400, Morgans wrote:
>>
>>> "Franklin>" <"Franklin > wrote

>>> If that was true, you would know Harstfield is not a GA airport.
>>
>> They moved Atlanta out of Georgia? when was that?
>>
>>> Also, it is Hartsfield, if you want to spell it the way the rest of us do...
>>
>> Oh, a NetKop.
>
> Well, dumbass,

You must be talking to Jim, I'll back out now.

Mike Ash
July 10th 09, 11:57 PM
In article >,
Jim Logajan > wrote:

> Mike Ash > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Franklin <"Franklin >> wrote:
> >> I'll help you with any other terms you might like.
> >
> > And so "cruising" is related to making an entire flight without engine
> > noise (or power) how?
>
> Mike, he's a troll.

I know, I was just winding up a bit before I let him go. Alas, he's not
a very entertaining troll, more on the nonsensical side than the crazy
side.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

Steve Hix
July 11th 09, 12:10 AM
In article >,
Franklin <"Franklin >> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:39:18 -0500, Jim Logajan wrote:
>
> > Mike Ash > wrote:
> >>
> >> And so "cruising" is related to making an entire flight without engine
> >> noise (or power) how?
> >
> > Mike, he's a troll.
>
> Mike, Jim's a troll.

Jim's got a posting history that goes back more than a decade. He's no
troll.

"Franklin", on the other hand...

Franklin[_8_]
July 11th 09, 12:59 AM
Franklin <"Franklin wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:26:11 -0700 (PDT), george wrote:
>
>> On Jul 9, 7:11*am, Dave J > wrote:
>>
>>> It was an interesting experience.
>> A far more interesting experience is when you're flying and suddenly
>> there is none of that annoying engine noise.
>
> That is when you glide, you should be prepared.

My keyboard seems to be on autopilot. It's flling this thread with posts
in my name that I haven't seen. Heh!

The not-so-strange thing is all the other posts in the thread are by long
established sockpuppets that haunt the aviation groups. What a surprise,
not.

Franklin[_8_]
July 11th 09, 01:34 AM
Steve Hix wrote:

> In article >,
> Franklin <"Franklin >> wrote:

>> > Mike, he's a troll.
>>
>> Mike, Jim's a troll.
>
> Jim's got a posting history that goes back more than a decade. He's
> no troll.
>
> "Franklin", on the other hand...

I love it. Heh! Jim's got a long history alright but nearly all of it
involves making provocative remarks. For my money he is a sock and he's
operated by the same sockmaster who operates you.

Yes, you're a sock too.

When I got the better of your sockmaster, he became disgruntled and
started disparaging my messages by creating this posting frenzy.

Same old, same old.

Steve Hix
July 11th 09, 07:14 AM
In article >,
Franklin > wrote:

> Steve Hix wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Franklin <"Franklin >> wrote:

> >> Mike, Jim's a troll.
> >
> > Jim's got a posting history that goes back more than a decade. He's
> > no troll.
> >
> > "Franklin", on the other hand...
>
> I love it. Heh! Jim's got a long history alright but nearly all of it
> involves making provocative remarks.

Meaning he has disagreed with you (or the sockpuppet using your name)?

> For my money he is a sock and he's
> operated by the same sockmaster who operates you.

Your money isn't worth much.

> Yes, you're a sock too.

Likely monopoly money, at that.

Franklin[_8_]
July 11th 09, 07:41 PM
Jim Logajan wrote:

> Mike Ash > wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Franklin <"Franklin >> wrote:
>>> I'll help you with any other terms you might like.
>>
>> And so "cruising" is related to making an entire flight without
>> engine noise (or power) how?
>
> Mike, he's a troll.

He sure is a troll. In fact, he's trying to post as if he were me.
He's a regular sock in alt.comp.freeware where he posts under a variety
of names. Currently he uses "David W" in that group.

The sock is upset because I recently showed the close connection between
him and a particularly destructive poster in a.c.f. called "Bear
Bottoms":

<http://h.imagehost.org/view/0696/Bottoms_sock>
<http://h.imagehost.org/view/0227/Bottoms_sock_page2>

The sock fantasizes about being a pilot and has probably been playing
the same games in the aviation groups as he does in a.c.f.

<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/e15d3e968deb1576>

A bit of history I wrote not long ago also upset him:
<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/3d5703183eab2b11>

Franklin[_8_]
July 11th 09, 07:52 PM
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

> In article >,
> Franklin <"Franklin >> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:12:28 -0400, Morgans wrote:
>>
>> > "Franklin>" <"Franklin > wrote

>> > If that was true, you would know Harstfield is not a GA airport.
>>
>> They moved Atlanta out of Georgia? when was that?
>>
>> > Also, it is Hartsfield, if you want to spell it the way the rest of
>> > us do...
>>
>> Oh, a NetKop.
>
> Well, dumbass, in this case "GA" means "General Aviation," NOT
> "Georgia!
>
> If you were a legitimate participant in rec.aviation.piloting, you
> would know that.

Orval, that's torn it! The sock really hates to be shown up. Heh!

He posts to alt.comp.freeware and he hates if you call his bluff about
aviation or special forces. (He pretends to be a Navy Seal.)

Expect more socks to join in this discussion and bolster what he wrote.
Or try and bury your observation with dozens of their meaningless posts.

george
July 11th 09, 09:48 PM
On Jul 12, 6:41*am, Franklin > wrote:

> The sock is upset because I recently showed the close connection between
> him and a particularly destructive poster in a.c.f. called "Bear
> Bottoms":

Aha.

Jim Logajan
July 11th 09, 10:43 PM
hummingbird > wrote:
>> Franklin >
>
> I have seen that exact same From: field used by you scores of
> times (among the other 150 variations you use).

The contents of the "From:" header is useless in determining source since
its contents are under total control of the poster. A little more reliable
is the contents of the "Path:" header. The poster has, at best, only
partial control of that (called path pre-loading; which most Usenet
providers forbid as part of their terms of service - and even when allowed,
the poster can only append something to the right-hand side.)

July 12th 09, 05:37 AM
"Franklin" > wrote in message

> Orval, that's torn it! The sock really hates to be shown up. Heh!
>
> He posts to alt.comp.freeware and he hates if you call his bluff about
> aviation or special forces. (He pretends to be a Navy Seal.)
>
> Expect more socks to join in this discussion and bolster what he
> wrote.
> Or try and bury your observation with dozens of their meaningless
> posts.

If this guy is a fake seal then use this link to bust him:
http://www.nightscribe.com/Military/SEALs/wannabe_seals.htm

Ive used it and it works..

Franklin[_7_]
July 12th 09, 01:31 PM
On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 23:14:32 -0700, Steve Hix wrote:

> In article >,
> Franklin > wrote:
>
>> Steve Hix wrote:

>>> Jim's got a posting history that goes back more than a decade. He's
>>> no troll.
>>>
>>> "Franklin", on the other hand...
>>
>> I love it. Heh! Jim's got a long history alright but nearly all of it
>> involves making provocative remarks.
>
> Meaning he has disagreed with you (or the sockpuppet using your name)?
>
>> For my money he is a sock and he's
>> operated by the same sockmaster who operates you.
>
> Your money isn't worth much.
>
>> Yes, you're a sock too.
>
> Likely monopoly money, at that.

I'm being forged. Any dolt can see that Heh!

Franklin[_7_]
July 12th 09, 01:34 PM
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 13:48:55 -0700 (PDT), george wrote:

> On Jul 12, 6:41*am, Franklin > wrote:
>
>> The sock is upset because I recently showed the close connection between
>> him and a particularly destructive poster in a.c.f. called "Bear
>> Bottoms":
>
> Aha.

His name is David W and he *is* Bear Bottoms, the husband of Jaqueline.
Would you like for me to post all of his personal data?

Justin[_2_]
July 15th 09, 06:09 AM
Jim Logajan wrote:
> hummingbird > wrote:
>>> Franklin >
>> I have seen that exact same From: field used by you scores of
>> times (among the other 150 variations you use).
>
> The contents of the "From:" header is useless in determining source since
> its contents are under total control of the poster. A little more reliable
> is the contents of the "Path:" header. The poster has, at best, only
> partial control of that (called path pre-loading; which most Usenet
> providers forbid as part of their terms of service - and even when allowed,
> the poster can only append something to the right-hand side.)

As long as nobody knows what Operating system I use; I'm safe.

Me.Here
July 15th 09, 06:23 AM
On 15/07/2009 3:09 PM, Justin wrote:
> Jim Logajan wrote:
>>> I have seen that exact same From: field used by you scores of
>>> times (among the other 150 variations you use).
>>
>> The contents of the "From:" header is useless in determining source
>> since its contents are under total control of the poster. A little
>> more reliable is the contents of the "Path:" header. The poster has,
>> at best, only partial control of that (called path pre-loading; which
>> most Usenet providers forbid as part of their terms of service - and
>> even when allowed, the poster can only append something to the
>> right-hand side.)
>

> As long as nobody knows what Operating system I use; I'm safe.

You're using a Mac :-)

--
MH

Gary R. Schmidt
July 15th 09, 12:52 PM
Justin wrote:
> Jim Logajan wrote:
>>> I have seen that exact same From: field used by you scores of
>>> times (among the other 150 variations you use).
>>
>> The contents of the "From:" header is useless in determining source
>> since its contents are under total control of the poster. A little
>> more reliable is the contents of the "Path:" header. The poster has,
>> at best, only partial control of that (called path pre-loading; which
>> most Usenet providers forbid as part of their terms of service - and
>> even when allowed, the poster can only append something to the
>> right-hand side.)
>

> As long as nobody knows what Operating system I use; I'm safe.
thinking Darwin.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Google