PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft collision over Hudson

rob
August 8th 09, 11:14 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/08/hudson.helicopter.crash/index.html

a[_3_]
August 9th 09, 03:34 AM
On Aug 8, 6:14*pm, rob > wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/08/hudson.helicopter.crash/index.htmlhttp://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,538521,00.html

Radar tracks will be very interesting. My totally uninformed guess is
we will learn the swing wing as assending into the path of the
Cherokee 6. What I've read is the 6 flew into the 'copter -- be
interesting to see what the NTSB finds and as importantly recommends
so as to not have this happen again.

I'll remind readers the FARs say the aircraf, t being overtaken has
right of way of the overtaking aircraft and at tabout the same
altitude the airplane on the right has right of way.

James Robinson
August 9th 09, 07:59 AM
a > wrote:

> Radar tracks will be very interesting. My totally uninformed guess is
> we will learn the swing wing as assending into the path of the
> Cherokee 6. What I've read is the 6 flew into the 'copter -- be
> interesting to see what the NTSB finds and as importantly recommends
> so as to not have this happen again.
>
> I'll remind readers the FARs say the aircraf, t being overtaken has
> right of way of the overtaking aircraft and at tabout the same
> altitude the airplane on the right has right of way.

You can see the radar tracks on the following site:

http://www4.passur.com/ewr.html

If you start at about 11:50 AM, you can see all the aircraft in the area.
(Select the date and time, click on "Normal" then click on "Start". You
need Java, and it will take a moment to start, so be patient.)

There are northbound aircraft at 1400, 1900, and 4000 feet. They appear to
be an experimental, an Embraer, and an Airbus from the registrations and
flight numbers. You can see the helicopter rise into the path of the Piper
Lance, which approaches from the northwest at 1100 feet. The helicopter has
an airplane symbol rather than a helicopter symbol. Collision at about
11:53 AM

a[_3_]
August 9th 09, 07:18 PM
On Aug 9, 2:59*am, James Robinson > wrote:
> a > wrote:
>
> > Radar tracks will be very interesting. My totally uninformed guess is
> > we will learn the swing wing as assending into the path of the
> > Cherokee 6. What I've read is the 6 flew into the 'copter -- be
> > interesting to see what the NTSB finds and as importantly recommends
> > so as to not have this happen again.
>
> > I'll remind readers the FARs say the aircraf, t being overtaken has
> > right of way of the overtaking aircraft and at tabout the same
> > altitude the airplane on the right has right of way.
>
> You can see the radar tracks on the following site:
>
> http://www4.passur.com/ewr.html
>
> If you start at about 11:50 AM, you can see all the aircraft in the area.
> (Select the date and time, click on "Normal" then click on "Start". *You
> need Java, and it will take a moment to start, so be patient.)
>
> There are northbound aircraft at 1400, 1900, and 4000 feet. *They appear to
> be an experimental, an Embraer, and an Airbus from the registrations and
> flight numbers. *You can see the helicopter rise into the path of the Piper
> Lance, which approaches from the northwest at 1100 feet. The helicopter has
> an airplane symbol rather than a helicopter symbol. *Collision at
> 11:53 AM

I don't often fly VFR, but I think a lesson here is straight and level
at low altitudes is probably not a good idea -- a long series of
clearing S turns would be safer. It would be easy for a faster
airplane to climb into me, given the Mooney's low wing and poor
downward visibility straight ahead. I could even overtake a slower
airplane climbing into my airspace and not see it.

I know the chances of a mid air are very low, but they are 100% if
it's me: no thanks!

Google