PDA

View Full Version : Welding and fumes

Michael Horowitz
August 13th 09, 10:31 AM
Two weeks ago I had my fuselage sandblasted and coated with two-part
epoxy. I had to get it primed prior to welding because it's going to
be outside and I need the 4130 tubing to be protected.

Prior to welding a tab, I used the torch to burn off the epoxy
coating. I noticed lots of fumes.

Is there a better way of removing the epoxy coating?
Are there any other precautions I should take beside simply trying to
keep my face out of the fumes? - Mike

flybynightkarmarepair
August 18th 09, 06:54 PM
On Aug 13, 2:31*am, Michael Horowitz > wrote:
> Two weeks ago I had my fuselage sandblasted and coated with two-part
> epoxy. I had to get it primed prior to welding because it's going to
> be outside and I need the 4130 tubing to be protected.
>
> Prior to welding a tab, I used the torch to burn off the epoxy
> coating. I noticed lots of fumes.
>
> Is there a better way of removing the epoxy coating?
> Are there any other precautions I should take beside simply trying to
> keep my face out of the fumes? - Mike

Sandblast it off with Black Beauty (slag) or steel shot. Walnut
shells won't do squat. Glass beads might work.

You could also try chemical strippers - depends on the epoxy. Use the
nasty Methyene Chloride stuff, epoxy just sneers at the "green"
strippers, for the most part.

Stealth Pilot[_2_]
August 19th 09, 04:05 PM
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:54:57 -0700 (PDT), flybynightkarmarepair
> wrote:

>On Aug 13, 2:31*am, Michael Horowitz > wrote:
>> Two weeks ago I had my fuselage sandblasted and coated with two-part
>> epoxy. I had to get it primed prior to welding because it's going to
>> be outside and I need the 4130 tubing to be protected.
>>
>> Prior to welding a tab, I used the torch to burn off the epoxy
>> coating. I noticed lots of fumes.
>>
>> Is there a better way of removing the epoxy coating?
>> Are there any other precautions I should take beside simply trying to
>> keep my face out of the fumes? - Mike
>
>Sandblast it off with Black Beauty (slag) or steel shot. Walnut
>shells won't do squat. Glass beads might work.
>
>You could also try chemical strippers - depends on the epoxy. Use the
>nasty Methyene Chloride stuff, epoxy just sneers at the "green"
>strippers, for the most part.

I'd go with the bead blast or shot blast. a dust off after leaves no
residual surface chemicals to stuff up the weld.

ballottini at 150psi will make short work of the epoxy.
well it would take my polyfiber 2 pack epoxy back no problems at all.

Stealth Pilot

Google