PDA

View Full Version : Sun Ship Game on Youtube - Complete

Guy Byars[_2_]
August 17th 09, 05:07 PM
Many of us remember major events of the summer of 1969: Haight-
Ashbury, Manson, Woodstock, Apollo-Moon, Chappaquiddick. But a lot
was also going on that summer in a small town in southern Texas...
Marfa!

To commemorate the 40th anniversary of the 1969 US Soaring Nationals
in Marfa TX, I have put the entire movie "The Sun Ship Game" on
youtube.

Some notes about the movie on youtube:

To get under the 10 minute limit, the movie is broken into 8
parts.

The original movie had numerous musical tracks from the BeeGees. I
had to mute/remove these for youtube. Youtube has a very clever music
scanner that flagged them as copyright violations. So you will
experience silence instead of the BeeGee tracks. No major loss.

In some places, the audio and video get out of sync by a second or
so. But since most of the dialog is in the form of voiceovers, this
is not a serious problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSj_POL6u0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACpksxkyOTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvQU4OqqVxc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eenw-cueqio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae14HGvxSgc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzMYIcrTMA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KCT5-lyw8g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJmNSdA1u4

Bob
August 18th 09, 02:05 AM
Many thanks!

Al[_7_]
August 18th 09, 07:08 AM
On Aug 17, 9:07*am, Guy Byars > wrote:
> Many of us remember major events of the summer of 1969: Haight-
> Ashbury, Manson, Woodstock, Apollo-Moon, Chappaquiddick. *But a lot
> was also going on that summer in a small town in southern Texas...
> Marfa!
>
> To commemorate the 40th anniversary of the 1969 US Soaring Nationals
> in Marfa TX, I have put the entire movie "The Sun Ship Game" on
> youtube.
>
> Some notes about the movie on youtube:
>
> * *To get under the 10 minute limit, the movie is broken into 8
> parts.
>
> * *The original movie had numerous musical tracks from the BeeGees. *I
> had to mute/remove these for youtube. *Youtube has a very clever music
> scanner that flagged them as copyright violations. *So you will
> experience silence instead of the BeeGee tracks. *No major loss.
>
> * *In some places, the audio and video get out of sync by a second or
> so. *But since most of the dialog is in the form of voiceovers, this
> is not a serious problem.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSj_POL6u0whttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACpksxkyOTQhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvQU4OqqVxchttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eenw-cueqiohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae14HGvxSgchttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzMYIcrTMAhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KCT5-lyw8ghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJmNSdA1u4

Nice one..

Al

Bernie[_4_]
August 18th 09, 10:19 AM
'The Sun Ship Game' torrent is active right now also, I succesfully
downloaded the entire .avi file over the last 24 hours using the
following Torrent:

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/4470122/The_Sunship_Game.4470122.TPB.torrent

Currently converting the avi to DVD format; will post again if there
are any issues with the video.

Regards, Bernie.

TonyV[_2_]
August 19th 09, 02:22 PM
> http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/4470122/The_Sunship_Game.4470122.TPB.torrent
>
> Currently converting the avi to DVD format; will post again if there
> are any issues with the video.

Hi Bernie,

I'm getting audio only on some of the half dozen or so media players
that I have on my system. No joy on any video.

Thanks for doing this!

Tony

Andreas Maurer
August 19th 09, 04:02 PM
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 09:22:11 -0400, TonyV
> wrote:

>> http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/4470122/The_Sunship_Game.4470122.TPB.torrent
>>
>> Currently converting the avi to DVD format; will post again if there
>> are any issues with the video.
>

>Hi Bernie,
>
>I'm getting audio only on some of the half dozen or so media players
>that I have on my system. No joy on any video.

VLC will play it.

Bye
Andreas

TonyV[_2_]
August 19th 09, 10:46 PM
>> I'm getting audio only on some of the half dozen or so media players
>> that I have on my system. No joy on any video.
>
> VLC will play it.

Yes, it will. Thanks, Andreas!

Tony

Bernie[_4_]
August 19th 09, 11:53 PM
The DVD I burnt from the converted .avi file plays perfectly, the
film is just great and the air to air scenes sensational.
I can even live with the few Bee Gees songs.....

The torrent is still active. I converted the file to DVD using the
program 'ConvertXtoDVD'.

They sure crashed a lot when out-landing.............. and landing at
the field!

Brad[_2_]
August 20th 09, 12:57 AM
A couple of thoughts:

1) Did I see Moffat cutting the tips off of his Open Cirrus and gluing
on tip extensions? Was this a certified glider? if so, was it ok to
make field mods like that back then?

2) Found it interesting what Gleb found important to think about
during a contest..............Kids or Competition, not judging, just
making an observation..............I have no kids myself, so thinking
about nothing but competition is cool in my book.

3) Is competition really as filled with broken gliders as we saw in
the video?

4) flying near thunderstorms..............tempting, everybody probably
does it a few times until they get the crap scared out of
them............if they haven't yet, then they will!

Brad

Mike[_8_]
August 20th 09, 01:18 AM
Brad,

I think one thing the film was contrasting was that George was very
focused with good spousal support, while Gleb had a lot of domestic
issues to deal with, while going through a divorce, that ran over into
his contest flying.

Mike

Andreas Maurer
August 20th 09, 02:52 AM
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:57:36 -0700 (PDT), Brad >
wrote:

>A couple of thoughts:
>
>1) Did I see Moffat cutting the tips off of his Open Cirrus and gluing
>on tip extensions? Was this a certified glider? if so, was it ok to
>make field mods like that back then?

Not only Moffat's ship was modified, Gleb's was, too.

Here's the story about George's Cirrus:
http://www.classicsailplane.org/Cirrus/Individual%20Aircraft/cirrus23.htm

>3) Is competition really as filled with broken gliders as we saw in
>the video?

Not today anymore - although I know of a recent one in Europe where
quite a few gliders were damaged. But I'm pretty sure that nowadays
pilots tend to convert 500 ft into a safe outlanding instead of using
Moffat's method of getting another 7 miles...

But:
Competitions taking place in mountains are very, very dangerous - the
fatality rate of Grand Prix's that took place in mountains is
devastating in my opinion (3 top pilots killed within the last 2
years). There have also been quite a couple of fatalities in the last
years in competions that took place in the Alps (Switzerland, Rieti).

Andreas

tienshanman
August 20th 09, 03:35 AM
I was only getting audio too, then downloaded this program: VLC Media Player. Now the video plays perfectly.

;703587']
http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/4470122/The_Sunship_Game.4470122.TPB.torrent

Currently converting the avi to DVD format; will post again if there
are any issues with the video.

Hi Bernie,

I'm getting audio only on some of the half dozen or so media players
that I have on my system. No joy on any video.

Thanks for doing this!

Tony

Whiskey Delta
August 20th 09, 04:29 PM
On Aug 19, 6:53*pm, Bernie > wrote:
> The DVD I burnt from the converted .avi file plays *perfectly, the
> film is just great and the air to air scenes sensational.
> I can even live with the few Bee Gees songs.....
>
> The torrent is still active. *I converted the file to DVD using the
> program 'ConvertXtoDVD'.
>
> They sure crashed a lot when out-landing.............. *and landing at
> the field!

I have not used torrents before. When I go to download the sunship
file, it downloads a 54.3 KB file only. I can't open this file as
windows doesn't recognize it (using window XP pro and Firefox). Is
there a program to use for downloading torrent files that I need to
get? Is the 54.3 KB file the file that will do the actual
downloading? If so how do I open that file?

Thanks!

WD

Guy Byars[_2_]
August 20th 09, 05:41 PM
> while Gleb had a lot of domestic issues to deal with, while going through a divorce, that ran over into
> his contest flying.

Not to mention chain smoking at the high Marfa elevations.

Edward
August 20th 09, 05:45 PM
At 15:29 20 August 2009, Whiskey Delta wrote:
>On Aug 19, 6:53=A0pm, Bernie wrote:
>> The DVD I burnt from the converted .avi file plays =A0perfectly, the
>> film is just great and the air to air scenes sensational.
>> I can even live with the few Bee Gees songs.....
>>
>> The torrent is still active. =A0I converted the file to DVD using the
>> program 'ConvertXtoDVD'.
>>
>> They sure crashed a lot when out-landing.............. =A0and landing
at
>> the field!
>

>I have not used torrents before. When I go to download the sunship
>file, it downloads a 54.3 KB file only. I can't open this file as
>windows doesn't recognize it (using window XP pro and Firefox). Is
>there a program to use for downloading torrent files that I need to
>get? Is the 54.3 KB file the file that will do the actual
>downloading? If so how do I open that file?
>
>Thanks!
>
>WD

http://www.utorrent.com/

bildan
August 20th 09, 08:06 PM
On Aug 19, 4:53*pm, Bernie > wrote:

> They sure crashed a lot when out-landing.............. *and landing at
> the field!

There was a prevalent attitude at that time which said the way to win
was to take chances - i.e. "no guts, no glory". You still hear that
occasionally from uninformed sources.

Dick Johnson, like most top pilots, would patiently explain that the
way to win was to be careful, conserve your personal energy and fly
well every day - you couldn't win by crashing your glider or landing
out in remote places that took all night for a retrieve.

They'd say things like. "Know your limits and don't exceed them". "If
you're not good enough to win, taking chances won't improve your
score." "Study, practice and come back next year."

Even if some of these yahoos didn't crash, they scared themselves so
badly they couldn't concentrate. Back home, they'd try to explain
their poor performance by saying 'everyone else' took chances to win
that they weren't willing to take thus perpetuating the "no guts - no
glory" myth.

That said, many 1969 gliders were better designed for rough field
landings. Many still had nose skids and high wings for good brush
clearance. Lighter wing loadings made for slower landings.

Bernie[_4_]
August 21st 09, 12:13 AM
To open the torrent file you have downloaded, you need BitTorrent
client software such as uTorrent or Vuze.
The client software will recognise the file as a torrent, and commence
downloading the actual target file.

Once you have downloaded and installed the client, simply double click
on the torrent file to open it and start the download.

> I have not used torrents before. *When I go to download the sunship
> file, it downloads a 54.3 KB file only. *I can't open this file as
> windows doesn't recognize it (using window XP pro and Firefox). *Is
> there a program to use for downloading torrent files that I need to
> get? *Is the 54.3 KB file the file that will do the actual
> downloading? *If so how do I open that file?
>
> Thanks!
>
> WD

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
August 21st 09, 01:53 PM
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 08:29:08 -0700, Whiskey Delta wrote:

> I have not used torrents before. When I go to download the sunship
> file, it downloads a 54.3 KB file only. I can't open this file as
> windows doesn't recognize it (using window XP pro and Firefox). Is
> there a program to use for downloading torrent files that I need to get?
> Is the 54.3 KB file the file that will do the actual downloading? If
> so how do I open that file?

Opera 9.64 seems to handle torrents as just another download - at least
the Linux version does.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Whiskey Delta
August 21st 09, 07:53 PM
On Aug 21, 8:53*am, Martin Gregorie >
wrote:

Thanks for the replies!
Now to try to convert it and burn a dvd. Will use the suggestions
made previously.

Thanks again,

WD

smithcorp
August 25th 09, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the link - got the movie and watched it last night. What
great stuff - makes me want to track down other older docos and movies
featuring soaring. So many crashes and risks taken in this film
though, makes me reluctant to show it to my wife! Seemed like almost
every outlanding included a ground loop.

Great to see the dress code for flying back then. Collared shirt and
chinos. Reminded me of a book I looked at with history of gliding in
Western Australia, with photos from the 1930s era of chaps in primary
gliders wearing shorts with ties. Tally ho!

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
August 25th 09, 12:44 PM
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 19:47:22 -0700, smithcorp wrote:

> Great to see the dress code for flying back then. Collared shirt and
> chinos. Reminded me of a book I looked at with history of gliding in
> Western Australia, with photos from the 1930s era of chaps in primary
> gliders wearing shorts with ties. Tally ho!

That *is* fairly formal wear in Australia and New Zealand and exactly
equivalent to seeing similar pictures from America and Europe showing
pilots in jackets, ties and trousers. Arriving at the office wearing a
jacket, shirt, tie, neatly pressed shorts and socks is normal in the
Antipodean summer. Its a sensible concession to the climate. I'm just
surprised that it isn't more widespread in regions with hot summers.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

smithcorp
August 25th 09, 02:31 PM
On Aug 25, 9:44*pm, Martin Gregorie >
wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 19:47:22 -0700, smithcorp wrote:
> > Great to see the dress code for flying back then. Collared shirt and
> > chinos. Reminded me of a book I looked at with history of gliding in
> > Western Australia, with photos from the 1930s era of chaps in primary
> > gliders wearing shorts with ties. Tally ho!
>
> That *is* fairly formal wear in Australia and New Zealand and exactly
> equivalent to seeing similar pictures from America and Europe showing
> pilots in jackets, ties and trousers. Arriving at the office wearing a
> jacket, shirt, tie, neatly pressed shorts and socks is normal in the
> Antipodean summer. Its a sensible concession to the climate. I'm just
> surprised that it isn't more widespread in regions with hot summers.
>
> --
> martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
> gregorie. | Essex, UK
> org * * * |

Oops - typo - I meant wearing shirts with ties (not shorts). But
there's quite a difference between the sportswear of then and now,
that's for sure.

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
August 25th 09, 02:44 PM
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 06:31:08 -0700, smithcorp wrote:

> Oops - typo - I meant wearing shirts with ties (not shorts). But there's
> quite a difference between the sportswear of then and now, that's for
> sure.

Now there we agree. Pictures of competitors from the 50s at free flight
model flying competitions still kill me. Wearing shirt, tie and jacket
while launching a power model with its oily exhaust plume or wearing them
while retrieving models on a typical wet, windy competition day makes
even less sense than rigging a glider while wearing the same clothing.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

John Smith
August 25th 09, 06:50 PM
Martin Gregorie wrote:

> neatly pressed shorts and socks is normal in the
> Antipodean summer. Its a sensible concession to the climate. I'm just
> surprised that it isn't more widespread in regions with hot summers.

I wouldn't call shorts and socks "sensible" and I'm glad it is not more
widespread. I would agree with shorts and sandals (without socks), though.

smithcorp
August 26th 09, 01:08 AM
On Aug 26, 1:50*am, John Smith > wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
> > neatly pressed shorts and socks is normal in the
> > Antipodean summer. Its a sensible concession to the climate. I'm just
> > surprised that it isn't more widespread in regions with hot summers.
>
> I wouldn't call shorts and socks "sensible" and I'm glad it is not more
> widespread. I would agree with shorts and sandals (without socks), though..

This sartorial disaster (long socks, tailored shorts, short-sleeved
shirt and polyester tie) still holds some sway in the hotter parts of
the country (Queensland towns, Darwin etc) as business attire for
older gents, but its going the way of the safari suit. Socks and
sandals - nothing says English tourist or expat than this! Still, I'd
love to see the people that fly vintage gliders in neat period
clothing - be something to see.

I'm sure there's a whole thread's worth of potential in a discussion
about gliding apparel. In the summer I'm a polo shirt, cargo shorts
and trainers bloke because it gets hot under that canopy and I don't
get high enough yet to get cold.

smith

Rodger
August 26th 09, 05:35 AM
Thank you for posting this

I had not seen this movie and had an interesting response to this
video. I was a 14 to 17 year old crew for a pilot flying in the CA
regional and national competition starting a year after this movie was
made. I don't remember there being quite as much carnage. Mostly
focused pilots a little on edge that howled at the moon at the end of
the contest. I do remember a very memorable bikini. Not sure if it’s
the same one. Hazy adolescent memory of the lovely Suzanne Moffat.
These folks seemed so larger than life to me then. It is interesting
to have them pop out of a stylized time machine and viewed with 2009
sensibilities. I met a 14 year old version of myself on a recent
flying trip. Highly in need of a hair cut and a bath. It is reassuring
to see that some things don't change.

Rodger (7D)

cernauta
September 8th 09, 12:44 AM
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:07:45 -0700 (PDT), Guy Byars
> wrote:

>To commemorate the 40th anniversary of the 1969 US Soaring Nationals
>in Marfa TX, I have put the entire movie "The Sun Ship Game" on
>youtube.

I have received some very interesting notes about the movie, from a
close friend of the Director. My translation is a bit poor, I'm sorry.
I hope you all can understand anyway.

Aldo Cernezzi

Some words on the film: AFAIK, The Sunship Game is the only real
movie, not a documentary, dedicated to soaring competitions.

It has been filmed at a great expense (about 300-400,000 USD in 1969,
equivalent to at least 10 million Dollars today), privately financed
without any perspective of reasonable revenues -- by the Director and
producer Robert Drew, for one of its great passions, soaring.

I came to know Bob Drew thanks to an italian soaring pilot, Enrico
Ferorelli, who later was to become one of the great professional
photographers in New York. In the 80's I usually was in NY once a
month for my work. Bob, Enrico and I shared partnership in an LS3.
It was Bob Drew that, after a successful competition in Rieti, asked
me to organize, in order to film it, the first flight on the slope of
Mt. Everest in a glider. The movie was not made because, during the
tests in Bishop (California) the TV cameras mounted on a Calif A21
failed to work in the very low temperatures. The idea to make the
soaring flight on the Himalayas, was later realized anyway, with good
scientific results but without a movie, in 1985.

I mention all this only in order to emphasize that, having known him
quite well, I consider Bob an exceptional person, and his movie, which
in 20 years I have probably watched and shown over 20 times, is a true
masterpiece dedicated to soaring competitions. Its beauty is revealed
gradually, when, through repeated viewing, one understands the untold
in the conversations between the pilots. I recall in particular a
confession: "…soaring pilots - a champion is speaking -we become aware
that our talent, when we win a contest, is inexplicable; and we live
therefore with the fear of losing it…"

I suggest a visit here: http://www.drewassociates.net/ to see how much
and what Robert Drew, as one of the prominent figures of the "cinema
verité", has filmed in its professional life. The Sunship Game is not
even mentioned in his professional biography. This movie is a
wonderful "gift" that this director-soaring pilot has given to the
world of soaring.

The loss of the original soundtrack, which included the song "Down to
Earth" by the Bee Gees, reduces the aesthetic experience of the film.
The Sunship Game does not offer only beautiful video clips of soaring,
of which we now have many, but it's certainly a true work of art
illustrating competitive soaring and its human dimension -- the choice
of music, IMHO, is an inseparable, essential part, of the storytelling
that Bob has created..

A few notes:

1. The Sun Ship Game is still protected by copyright. The DVD edition
can't be found in commerce because the Drew Associates did not succeed
to come to an agreement for the use of the music soundtrack with the
owners of the Bee Gees' rights. If you happen to own a copy, you
should keep it for you and show it to your friends, but, as a friend
of Bob, I suggest we don't promote its copying -- it just belongs to
him.

2. The plot of the narration is based on the major difference in the
personalities of the two protagonists, Gleb Derujinsky, US (an
advertizing director, the first one to appear in the film, on a
bicycle in New York) and George Moffat, XX (a professor, who appears
in a classroom teaching English literature).
Gleb, an instinctive pilot, is described as "unbeatable when he's in
top condition", but he's also sometimes inconsistent. Moffat, on the
other hand, is a cold "analytical-numerical" pilot flying a modified
Cirrus with longer wings, but we finally see that he's also "human
after all" through his flying and the suffering against Wally Scott
who had a new ASW-12.

George will win (at least) two World Championships, Marfa 1970 and
Waikerie 1974. Gleb, instead, will drive form Marfa to Mexico in order
to get a divorce, always followed by Bob's movie cameras.

The movie features a gallery of prominent figures of soaring. Between
many others, Klaus Holighaus, Stouffs Sr., and Hal "The Judge"
Lattimore, contest director.

Whiskey Delta
September 9th 09, 04:15 AM
Most of us know more about George Moffat and what his life in soaring
was like after the Marfa Nationals, but what became of Gleb
Derujinsky? Other than what we know from the movie, does anyone know
what Gleb went on to do? Did he continue to soar? Is he still
flying?

WD

Mike[_8_]
September 9th 09, 04:37 AM
I think Gleb still lives in Durango Colorado.

He and his wife, for a long time, ran a jewlery store there, and for a
while Gleb was active in their soaring club, giving instruction.

To add to his online RAS resume, Gleb was also a top fashion
photographer in NYC, his ex-wife Ruth, a fashion model. And for those
who remember, was the guy who shot the Alka Seltzer "On the Rocks"
commercial.

On Sep 8, 9:15*pm, Whiskey Delta > wrote:
> Most of us know more about George Moffat and what his life in soaring
> was like after the Marfa Nationals, but what became of Gleb
> Derujinsky? *Other than what we know from the movie, does anyone know
> what Gleb went on to do? *Did he continue to soar? *Is he still
> flying?
>
> WD

Greg Arnold
September 9th 09, 05:00 AM
Whiskey Delta wrote:
> Most of us know more about George Moffat and what his life in soaring
> was like after the Marfa Nationals, but what became of Gleb
> Derujinsky? Other than what we know from the movie, does anyone know
> what Gleb went on to do? Did he continue to soar? Is he still
> flying?
>
> WD

http://www.glebderujinsky.com/

sisu1a
September 9th 09, 07:13 AM
On Sep 8, 8:37*pm, Mike > wrote:
> I think Gleb still lives in Durango Colorado.
>
> He and his wife, for a long time, ran a jewlery store there, and for a
> while Gleb was active in their soaring club, giving instruction.
>
> To add to his online RAS resume, Gleb was also a top fashion
> photographer in NYC, his ex-wife Ruth, a fashion model. And for those
> who remember, was the guy who shot the Alka Seltzer "On the Rocks"
> commercial.
>
> On Sep 8, 9:15*pm, Whiskey Delta > wrote:
>
> > Most of us know more about George Moffat and what his life in soaring
> > was like after the Marfa Nationals, but what became of Gleb
> > Derujinsky? *Other than what we know from the movie, does anyone know
> > what Gleb went on to do? *Did he continue to soar? *Is he still
> > flying?
>
> > WD

Gleb still lives outside Durango... being the first owner of the Sisu
I have (s/n 101, N6390X) I contacted him some years ago to talk to him
about that (what a great excuse!) and visited him there a few years
back, still keeping in touch. He raced a Std cirrus through the 70s,
and continued to soar and instruct into the 90s before getting really
frustrated with somebody at the club there, after which he tore up his
ticket (literally...) never to fly again. I told him to please send
stuff like that to a museum or at least to me next time, and one day
shortly after that he sent me the compass from Charlie Item (visible
on top of his cowl in Sunship) which was given to him by Schreder (who
'liberated' a bunch from the Navy and gave them out to his friends)
which needless to say is a very proud piece of my collection. I also
talked with a fellow that was given a glider ride by Gleb- 260 miles
in a 2-33! with a 55 mile final glide! said he didn't look once at the
ground but rather kept his eyes glued skyward, although the fellow
riding with him was white knuckled looking down for most of it. This
guy was really in awe of his stick skill and soaring intuition to say
the least. He's not soaring or flying anymore, but he also had a power
ticket w/instrument rating.

In addition to other of his achievements mentioned, he was a serious
top bicycle racer before WWII, played piano in Canagie Hall at age 9
while his mom danced, is the son of a famous sculptor (forgot name,
but made the bronze Roosevelt bust in DC for instance, other
sculptures visible in Sunship are his...), is the grandson of famous
Russian classical composer, made the first known carbon fiber bike
frames- which were then bought by the US olympic committee and reverse
engineered forming the foundation for more to come, made seargent at
age 19, field promoted after laying a road through un-passable mud for
Patten while in an army engineering team in Belgium after the 3
previous teams failed, while a top fashion photographer in the 50's he
went on that first round-world trip on the new 707 as such in addition
to the many covers of Harpar's Bazaar and other pubs his pics were on/
in, raced for Ferarri, and much much more. Apparently he was quite the
life of most any party he was at, and was a heap of fun to be around.
Truly an amazing person, and obviously a personal hero of mine. Oh,
and just about every woman around him had a big crush on him...

BTW, a lot of these are things I learned from others that know him and
did not come from his own bragging, although he really does have a lot
to brag about in my opinion.

-Paul

PS. Sunship Game is a very special movie to me, and I too think the
mangled youtube version is a travesty to that work of art, but I'm
glad others have gotten to see/appreciate it that otherwise may not
have.

PPS. when/if Robert Drew gets things straightened out with the
Beegees, there may be extra scenes included in the real DVD release
since a little birdie suggested it to him and he was warmly receptive
to the notion ;)

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
September 9th 09, 09:19 PM
On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 23:13:17 -0700, sisu1a wrote:

> PPS. when/if Robert Drew gets things straightened out with the Beegees,
> there may be extra scenes included in the real DVD release since a
> little birdie suggested it to him and he was warmly receptive to the
> notion ;)

That sounds something to look forward to. I'm also disappointed by the
resolution of the posted version and will certainly buy a DVD when it is
produced. Hopefully it won't be region-limited.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

J A
September 10th 09, 01:30 AM
At 20:19 09 September 2009, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 23:13:17 -0700, sisu1a wrote:
>
>> PPS. when/if Robert Drew gets things straightened out with the
Beegees,
>> there may be extra scenes included in the real DVD release since a
>> little birdie suggested it to him and he was warmly receptive to the
>> notion ;)
>>
>That sounds something to look forward to. I'm also disappointed by the
>resolution of the posted version and will certainly buy a DVD when it is

>produced. Hopefully it won't be region-limited.
>

>--
>martin@ | Martin Gregorie
>gregorie. | Essex, UK
>org |

Count me in for a copy. Maybe if we show enough interest, it will
encourage Mr. Drew to pursue the rights.

tienshanman
September 11th 09, 02:54 AM
Are these actors playing Moffat and Gleb or do they play themselves?

Paul Remde
September 11th 09, 12:11 PM
They play themselves. All the characters in the movie are actual soaring
pilots and crew, etc.

"tienshanman" > wrote in message

> Are these actors playing Moffat and Gleb or do they play themselves?
>

> --
> tienshanman

Michael[_7_]
September 11th 09, 09:56 PM
I hadn't set foot in a glider until April of this year so it was
interesting to see how things were 40 years ago. In several points in
the film, George Moffat is seen manipulating a circular device, which
I assume is some form of flight computer. What is this and what does
it do?

--Michael

Ed Winchester[_2_]
September 11th 09, 10:20 PM
Michael wrote:
> I hadn't set foot in a glider until April of this year so it was
> interesting to see how things were 40 years ago. In several points in
> the film, George Moffat is seen manipulating a circular device, which
> I assume is some form of flight computer. What is this and what does
> it do?
>
> --Michael

I don't have the video up right now, but it's probably an E-6B, an
aviation version of a circular slide rule. You can still buy them.
They work by adding logarithms of values to produce the same result as
multiplying the values. In the small handheld format, they provide
about 2.5 dignificant figures of accuracy, and you have to keep track of
the decimal point yourself (such as the difference between 2 minutes and
20 minutes), and therefore you have to have some idea of the magnitude
of the expected result. Since I got my start in flying in the 60s, I
can probably solve speed/time/distance problems faster that way than I
can with a calculator, even one of the fancy flight calculators.

They also solve problems like true airspeed, mach compressibility, F/C
temperature conversions, mph/kts conversions, etc. Just about any kind
of problem that might need solving for planning or executing a flight.

Ed

Andy[_1_]
September 11th 09, 10:29 PM
On Sep 11, 1:56*pm, Michael > wrote:
> I hadn't set foot in a glider until April of this year so it was
> interesting to see how things were 40 years ago. *In several points in
> the film, George Moffat is seen manipulating a circular device, which
> I assume is some form of flight computer. *What is this and what does
> it do?
>
> --Michael

Yup, a flight compuiter and it didn't need batteries and was readable
even in the brightest sunlight!

Used to compute speed to fly and final glide altitude before those
transistor things came along. Not quite as configurable as the
modern silicon wonders. Changing to a glider with a different polar
required making, or buying, a new "prayer wheel".

I expect mine is still in a box somewhere with the cameras and the
photo books. I got a refund on the barograph before I got stuck with
that.

Andy

Mike Bamberg
September 11th 09, 10:30 PM
On Sep 11, 2:20*pm, Ed Winchester > wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> > I hadn't set foot in a glider until April of this year so it was
> > interesting to see how things were 40 years ago. *In several points in
> > the film, George Moffat is seen manipulating a circular device, which
> > I assume is some form of flight computer. *What is this and what does
> > it do?
>
> > --Michael
>
> I don't have the video up right now, but it's probably an E-6B, an
> aviation version of a circular slide rule. *You can still buy them.
> They work by adding logarithms of values to produce the same result as
> multiplying the values. *In the small handheld format, they provide
> about 2.5 dignificant figures of accuracy, and you have to keep track of
> the decimal point yourself (such as the difference between 2 minutes and
> 20 minutes), and therefore you have to have some idea of the magnitude
> of the expected result. *Since I got my start in flying in the 60s, I
> can probably solve speed/time/distance problems faster that way than I
> can with a calculator, even one of the fancy flight calculators.
>
> They also solve problems like true airspeed, mach compressibility, F/C
> temperature conversions, mph/kts conversions, etc. *Just about any kind
> of problem that might need solving for planning or executing a flight.
>
> Ed

Actually no, it's not an e-6b. I have one of the circular glide
computers from that era, set up for a 301 Libelle. There are several
versions but the one I have has a side to place a sectional chart (or
portion of one) and a spiral set of lines to show glide distance into
a headwind. You twist the correct line over your current location and
I think it indicates the correct altitude for final glide, or some
combination thereof.

If someone is really interested I can post pictures on my website. m
l b ( at ) m i k e b a m b e r g . c o m (remove the spaces, replace
the at) drop me a line and I'll go through the effort.

Mike

Bob Gibbons[_2_]
September 12th 09, 02:21 AM
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:30:34 -0700 (PDT), Mike Bamberg
> wrote:

.... text deleted...
>Actually no, it's not an e-6b. I have one of the circular glide
>computers from that era, set up for a 301 Libelle. There are several
>versions but the one I have has a side to place a sectional chart (or
>portion of one) and a spiral set of lines to show glide distance into
>a headwind. You twist the correct line over your current location and
>I think it indicates the correct altitude for final glide, or some
>combination thereof.
>
>If someone is really interested I can post pictures on my website. m
>l b ( at ) m i k e b a m b e r g . c o m (remove the spaces, replace
>the at) drop me a line and I'll go through the effort.
>
>Mike

I presented a paper at the 1991 OSTIV meeting detailing a software
program, written in HP BASIC, to compute the required parameters and
plot the graphic overlay for this type of final glide computer, which
Helmut Reichmann called a "Stocker" calculator. On my copy of
Reichmann's "Cross Country Soaring", the descirption of the computer
is on page 120.

The program I wrote was designed to drive an HP plotter which
generated an overlay what would be printed on a transparency and
overlaid on top of a sectional map.

If anyone is interested in ancient historical artifacts, send me an
email and I'll forward a copy of the paper.

Bob

Paul Remde
September 12th 09, 02:41 AM
Hi,

I have a link on my Soaring Links page "Theory, Equations & Spreadsheets" to
a site in Melbourne (link below) which includes a program to calculate and
plot a Stocker final glide calculator as described in Helmut Reichmann's
book Cross Country Soaring.
http://www.gliding-in-melbourne.org/resource.htm

More interesting links are here:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/soaring_links/theory.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

"Bob Gibbons" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:30:34 -0700 (PDT), Mike Bamberg
> > wrote:
>
> ... text deleted...
>>Actually no, it's not an e-6b. I have one of the circular glide
>>computers from that era, set up for a 301 Libelle. There are several
>>versions but the one I have has a side to place a sectional chart (or
>>portion of one) and a spiral set of lines to show glide distance into
>>a headwind. You twist the correct line over your current location and
>>I think it indicates the correct altitude for final glide, or some
>>combination thereof.
>>
>>If someone is really interested I can post pictures on my website. m
>>l b ( at ) m i k e b a m b e r g . c o m (remove the spaces, replace
>>the at) drop me a line and I'll go through the effort.
>>
>>Mike
>
> I presented a paper at the 1991 OSTIV meeting detailing a software
> program, written in HP BASIC, to compute the required parameters and
> plot the graphic overlay for this type of final glide computer, which
> Helmut Reichmann called a "Stocker" calculator. On my copy of
> Reichmann's "Cross Country Soaring", the descirption of the computer
> is on page 120.
>
> The program I wrote was designed to drive an HP plotter which
> generated an overlay what would be printed on a transparency and
> overlaid on top of a sectional map.
>
> If anyone is interested in ancient historical artifacts, send me an
> email and I'll forward a copy of the paper.
>
> Bob

TJ Johnson \FN\
September 13th 09, 04:47 AM
If the person with the rights to the movie would like, I can take the
original, remove any music that he doesn't have rights for, replace it
with music we can get the rights for, and put it out on DVD. I
distribute a lot of stuff already, I would love to help out if I can.

TJ Johnson
PIK20 FN

www.simplytj.com

Jim Beckman[_2_]
September 14th 09, 09:15 PM
At 03:47 13 September 2009, TJ Johnson \FN\ wrote:
>If the person with the rights to the movie would like, I can take the
>original, remove any music that he doesn't have rights for, replace it
>with music we can get the rights for, and put it out on DVD.

Taking away the original music would severely damage the weirdness
quotient. Taking the Bee Gees out of the film would be akin to telling
the Horse Child that there isn't going to be any breakfast.
Unthinkable.

Jim Beckman

April 13th 15, 09:12 PM
On Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 8:15:26 PM UTC-7, Whiskey Delta wrote:
> Most of us know more about George Moffat and what his life in soaring
> was like after the Marfa Nationals, but what became of Gleb
> Derujinsky? Other than what we know from the movie, does anyone know
> what Gleb went on to do? Did he continue to soar? Is he still
> flying?
>
> WD

Hi, Gleb continued flying. He later moved to Los Angeles continuing his Commercial film career. 3 years later he moved to Durango Colorado, Open his Jewelry studio called One Of a Kind and made and designed jewelry for 20 years. He also took his Instructors test and taught Gliding at La Plata Air field. I was the wing girl way back when for my own flying lessons at days end. Gleb also became an avid Skier and went on to teach skiing. All the while still shooting stills for his personal collection which is Vast! After retiring the jewelry store off Main St. He returned to playing piano both Classical and boggie woggie and began gathering his fashion photos for a book that did not materialize before his passing in a car accident June, 9th 2011, with his wife of 42 years Wally Derujinsky. I have since picked up where Daddy left off promoting his beautiful fashion images from 1950-1968 and am currently working on his book. As an artist dad was always focused and difficult. He did however put his kids 2nd at all times. And that's ok with me. He left me many great memories and lessons I cherish. and the Sunship Game which has introduced me to many great pilots and his admirers! Best, Andrea

April 13th 15, 09:13 PM
On Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 8:37:35 PM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:
> I think Gleb still lives in Durango Colorado.
>
> He and his wife, for a long time, ran a jewlery store there, and for a
> while Gleb was active in their soaring club, giving instruction.
>
> To add to his online RAS resume, Gleb was also a top fashion
> photographer in NYC, his ex-wife Ruth, a fashion model. And for those
> who remember, was the guy who shot the Alka Seltzer "On the Rocks"
> commercial.

> On Sep 8, 9:15*pm, Whiskey Delta > wrote:
> > Most of us know more about George Moffat and what his life in soaring
> > was like after the Marfa Nationals, but what became of Gleb
> > Derujinsky? *Other than what we know from the movie, does anyone know
> > what Gleb went on to do? *Did he continue to soar? *Is he still
> > flying?
> >
> > WD

Right on Mark!

April 13th 15, 09:28 PM
On Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 11:13:17 PM UTC-7, sisu1a wrote:
> [...]
> life of most any party he was at, and was a heap of fun to be around.
> Truly an amazing person, and obviously a personal hero of mine. Oh,
> and just about every woman around him had a big crush on him...
>
> BTW, a lot of these are things I learned from others that know him and
> did not come from his own bragging, although he really does have a lot
> to brag about in my opinion.
>
> -Paul
>
> PS. Sunship Game is a very special movie to me, and I too think the
> mangled youtube version is a travesty to that work of art, but I'm
> glad others have gotten to see/appreciate it that otherwise may not
> have.
>
> PPS. when/if Robert Drew gets things straightened out with the
> Beegees, there may be extra scenes included in the real DVD release
> since a little birdie suggested it to him and he was warmly receptive

HI Paul! I would love you to contact me. I am working on Gleb's book of Fashion images. and using quotes from Friends and former co workers. Dad as you may already know passed in a car accident with Wally June 9th 2011. You can email me or find contact info on glebderujinsky.com. I pray you receive this message and contact me. Best, Andrea Derujinsky

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
April 13th 15, 10:04 PM
On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 4:12:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 8:15:26 PM UTC-7, Whiskey Delta wrote:
> > Most of us know more about George Moffat and what his life in soaring
> > was like after the Marfa Nationals, but what became of Gleb
> > Derujinsky? Other than what we know from the movie, does anyone know
> > what Gleb went on to do? Did he continue to soar? Is he still
> > flying?
> >
> > WD
>
> Hi, Gleb continued flying. He later moved to Los Angeles continuing his Commercial film career. 3 years later he moved to Durango Colorado, Open his Jewelry studio called One Of a Kind and made and designed jewelry for 20 years. He also took his Instructors test and taught Gliding at La Plata Air field. I was the wing girl way back when for my own flying lessons at days end. Gleb also became an avid Skier and went on to teach skiing. All the while still shooting stills for his personal collection which is Vast! After retiring the jewelry store off Main St. He returned to playing piano both Classical and boggie woggie and began gathering his fashion photos for a book that did not materialize before his passing in a car accident June, 9th 2011, with his wife of 42 years Wally Derujinsky. I have since picked up where Daddy left off promoting his beautiful fashion images from 1950-1968 and am currently working on his book. As an artist dad was always focused and difficult. He did however put his kids 2nd at all times. And that's ok with me. He left me many great memories and lessons I cherish. and the Sunship Game which has introduced me to many great pilots and his admirers! Best, Andrea

Hi,

Thanks for bringing this thread up to "now".
I have a "bought copy" of the Sun Ship Game, I love it as well as others that have seen it.

My family condolences to you & your family on the passing of your parents. Your father sounds like a character (in a good way).
Best to you and your remaining family.

Charlie..... my son is the "3rd generation" glider pilot in our family.....

Paul Remde
April 14th 15, 12:40 PM
Hi Andrea,

I was very sorry to hear about the passing of Gleb and Wally's passing.

Below you mention the name "Paul". Are you trying to reach me? How can I
help?

You can see the Sun Ship Game DVD which is for sale on my web site here:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/videos.htm#SunShipGame

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

wrote in message

> [...]
>
> -Paul
>
> PS. Sunship Game is a very special movie to me, and I too think the
> mangled youtube version is a travesty to that work of art, but I'm
> glad others have gotten to see/appreciate it that otherwise may not
> have.
>
> PPS. when/if Robert Drew gets things straightened out with the
> Beegees, there may be extra scenes included in the real DVD release
> since a little birdie suggested it to him and he was warmly receptive
> to the notion ;)

HI Paul! I would love you to contact me. I am working on Gleb's book of
Fashion images. and using quotes from Friends and former co workers. Dad as
you may already know passed in a car accident with Wally June 9th 2011. You
can email me or find contact info on glebderujinsky.com. I pray you receive
this message and contact me. Best, Andrea Derujinsky

ND
April 14th 15, 01:17 PM
On Thursday, August 20, 2009 at 12:41:54 PM UTC-4, Guy Byars wrote:
> > while Gleb had a lot of domestic issues to deal with, while going through a divorce, that ran over into
> > his contest flying.
>
> Not to mention chain smoking at the high Marfa elevations.

i think he took a flask with him too, didn't he?

Jonathan St. Cloud
April 14th 15, 08:25 PM
Andrea, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write some information about your father and to share it with the rest of the gliding community!

> Hi, Gleb continued flying. He later moved to Los Angeles continuing his Commercial film career. 3 years later he moved to Durango Colorado, Open his Jewelry studio called One Of a Kind and made and designed jewelry for 20 years. He also took his Instructors test and taught Gliding at La Plata Air field. I was the wing girl way back when for my own flying lessons at days end. Gleb also became an avid Skier and went on to teach skiing. All the while still shooting stills for his personal collection which is Vast! After retiring the jewelry store off Main St. He returned to playing piano both Classical and boggie woggie and began gathering his fashion photos for a book that did not materialize before his passing in a car accident June, 9th 2011, with his wife of 42 years Wally Derujinsky. I have since picked up where Daddy left off promoting his beautiful fashion images from 1950-1968 and am currently working on his book. As an artist dad was always focused and difficult. He did however put his kids 2nd at all times. And that's ok with me. He left me many great memories and lessons I cherish. and the Sunship Game which has introduced me to many great pilots and his admirers! Best, Andrea

April 15th 15, 10:49 PM
George Moffat wrote a very interesting book titled, "Winning II" with interesting details of making this this movie.

Tom Knauff

Soartech
April 16th 15, 02:59 PM

> To get under the 10 minute limit, the movie is broken into 8
> parts.

Guy:

Thanks for sharing this classic soaring film with us. The 10 minute limit was changed to 15 minutes a couple of years ago.
However this is easy to get around. Please put the entire thing up as one so we can enjoy it on our smart TVs. Just follow these instructions:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/71673?hl=en

Thanks!!

Steve Leonard[_2_]
April 16th 15, 03:08 PM
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 8:59:25 AM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:
> Guy:
>
> Thanks for sharing this classic soaring film with us. The 10 minute limit was changed to 15 minutes a couple of years ago.
> However this is easy to get around. Please put the entire thing up as one so we can enjoy it on our smart TVs. Just follow these instructions:
> https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/71673?hl=en
>
> Thanks!!

Or, you could just spend less than you probably pay for a tow, and buy a re-mastered DVD copy of it from your favorite glider supply person. If they don't sell it, try Amazon. Trust me. It is money well spent.

Steve Leonard

7C
April 16th 15, 04:36 PM
> Or, you could just spend less than you probably pay for a tow, and buy a re-mastered DVD copy of it from your favorite glider supply person. If they don't sell it, try Amazon. Trust me. It is money well spent.

The DVD is excellent, great packaging and well worth the small amount of money.

Mel

April 20th 15, 05:32 PM
On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 12:25:06 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> Andrea, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write some information about your father and to share it with the rest of the gliding community!
>

> > Hi, Gleb continued flying. He later moved to Los Angeles continuing his Commercial film career. 3 years later he moved to Durango Colorado, Open his Jewelry studio called One Of a Kind and made and designed jewelry for 20 years. He also took his Instructors test and taught Gliding at La Plata Air field. I was the wing girl way back when for my own flying lessons at days end. Gleb also became an avid Skier and went on to teach skiing. All the while still shooting stills for his personal collection which is Vast! After retiring the jewelry store off Main St. He returned to playing piano both Classical and boggie woggie and began gathering his fashion photos for a book that did not materialize before his passing in a car accident June, 9th 2011, with his wife of 42 years Wally Derujinsky. I have since picked up where Daddy left off promoting his beautiful fashion images from 1950-1968 and am currently working on his book. As an artist dad was always focused and difficult. He did however put his kids 2nd at all times. And that's ok with me. He left me many great memories and lessons I cherish. and the Sunship Game which has introduced me to many great pilots and his admirers! Best, Andrea

Be sure to find Gleb on Facebook and twitter to keep up with news as it develops.
https://twitter.com/GDerujinsky
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gleb-Derujinsky/192627300838987?ref=hl
www.glebderujinsky.com

Jonathan St. Cloud
April 20th 15, 09:20 PM
I found it interesting that crews would hook up the trailers and follow the contestants around the course!

Tony[_5_]
April 20th 15, 09:53 PM
My crew did that most days during the Pan American Championships! Paid off big on the last day.

Sean Fidler
June 17th 15, 04:39 PM
Sunship game should be on YouTube and iTunes! DVDs are so 90's. Who's making the decision to only offer DVDs. In 2 years DVD players will no longer exist. Please reconsider the current strategy or the movie will fade out of view and never be available to you get generations who today look at DVD players the same way we look at 8 track tape.

- end of rant

son_of_flubber
June 17th 15, 06:27 PM
On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 11:39:57 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
> Sunship game should be on YouTube and iTunes!

I hope that some 'young punk' will post a quick cut mash up of some of the best scenes from Sunship Game, Cloudstreet, Bruno_Videos (TM) with a 'happening and totally groovy' soundtrack.

Tastes change.

June 18th 15, 07:26 PM
On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 7:40:38 AM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > -Paul
> >
> > PS. Sunship Game is a very special movie to me, and I too think the
> > mangled youtube version is a travesty to that work of art, but I'm
> > glad others have gotten to see/appreciate it that otherwise may not
> > have.
> >
> > PPS. when/if Robert Drew gets things straightened out with the
> > Beegees, there may be extra scenes included in the real DVD release
> > since a little birdie suggested it to him and he was warmly receptive
> > to the notion ;)
>
> HI Paul! I would love you to contact me. I am working on Gleb's book of
> Fashion images. and using quotes from Friends and former co workers. Dad as
> you may already know passed in a car accident with Wally June 9th 2011. You
> can email me or find contact info on glebderujinsky.com. I pray you receive
> this message and contact me. Best, Andrea Derujinsky

When I made "A Fine Week of Soaring" the late Bob Drew (who I knew and admired from the documentary film world) was very gracious to let me use some clips from "The Sun Ship Game" to illustrate the "then and now" sequence with George Moffat. I encouraged him to re-master and re-release the film but he was hesitant because of unresolved rights issues with the Bee Gees music..

Years later I got a call from him saying he had done it (at considerable expense) and what should he do next to sell it. I put him in touch with Paul Remde and other soaring businesses and from there it took off. Fortunately it was a couple of months before Christmas so he could take advantage of that.

Interestingly no one in the documentary film world (where he is famous for his pioneering work on "Primary", "Crisis" and other films) knows about "The Sun Ship Game".

Please honor the maker's copyright and buy the DVD.

Juan

Sean Fidler
June 21st 15, 02:22 AM
Wow. Just re-read this and spellcheck won that battle big time. Here is a corrected version:

Sunship game should be on YouTube and iTunes! DVDs are so 90's. Who's making the decision to only offer DVDs. In 2 years DVD players will no longer exist. Please reconsider the current strategy or the movie will fade out of view and never be available to YOUNGER generations who today look at DVD players the same way we look at 8 track tape.

- end of rant

Jaun - I own two copies of the DVD! iTunes honors creative rights in the same way as DVD licensing. How is it different? I would think the marketing reach of iTunes would help sales a great deal!

Sunship game is one of my favorite movies. I will just make a copy to watch on my iPhone.

Sean

Juanman[_2_]
June 21st 15, 05:02 AM
On Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 9:22:22 PM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
> Wow. Just re-read this and spellcheck won that battle big time. Here is a corrected version:
>
> Sunship game should be on YouTube and iTunes! DVDs are so 90's. Who's making the decision to only offer DVDs. In 2 years DVD players will no longer exist. Please reconsider the current strategy or the movie will fade out of view and never be available to YOUNGER generations who today look at DVD players the same way we look at 8 track tape.
>
> - end of rant
>
> Jaun - I own two copies of the DVD! iTunes honors creative rights in the same way as DVD licensing. How is it different? I would think the marketing reach of iTunes would help sales a great deal!
>
> Sunship game is one of my favorite movies. I will just make a copy to watch on my iPhone.
>
> Sean

Sean, I was addressing the idea of putting the film on YouTube for free viewing. The day that films are only on iTunes will be a problem for filmmakers, who receive very little revenue from iTunes or Netflix. Same as is happening in music with the disappearance of CDs.

Juan

Bruce Hoult
June 21st 15, 02:40 PM
On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 7:02:20 AM UTC+3, Juanman wrote:
> Sean, I was addressing the idea of putting the film on YouTube for free viewing. The day that films are only on iTunes will be a problem for filmmakers, who receive very little revenue from iTunes or Netflix. Same as is happening in music with the disappearance of CDs.

I don't know about Netflix, but film owners receive 70% of the sale price on iTunes, the same as musicians or iPhone App writers.

That's a ten times higher percentage of the retail price than you ever got from selling a physical DVD in a store, with a long distribution chain.

Even selling physical DVDs yourself from home by mail (internet) order, your margins probably aren't near 70%, as you have to pay to make the DVD and case and for shipping.

son_of_flubber
June 21st 15, 03:39 PM
How many more copies of 'Sunship Game' does the owner expect to sell? And how long will he have to wait to sell those copies? I'd expect that most people who would pay cash to view this documentary have already bought it.

What would it cost to buy the rights to "Sunship Game" and make it freely available?

Is it better to sell relatively few copies of Sunship Game, or have it viewed by potentially larger numbers of people?

If the Bee Gees sound track is the distribution problem, then maybe it could be overdubbed.

September 25th 17, 10:15 PM
For all you Sunship Game enthusiasts, I have produced a beautiful book of Gleb's work as a fashion photographer which I am sure you will all love. Be sure to look it up on Amazon. Capturing Fashion Derujinsky was a labor of love. Thanks, Andrea Derujinsky

Dan S
March 1st 18, 10:21 AM
On Sunday, 21 June 2015 02:22:22 UTC+1, Sean Fidler wrote:
> Wow. Just re-read this and spellcheck won that battle big time. Here is a corrected version:
>
> Sunship game should be on YouTube and iTunes! DVDs are so 90's. Who's making the decision to only offer DVDs. In 2 years DVD players will no longer exist. Please reconsider the current strategy or the movie will fade out of view and never be available to YOUNGER generations who today look at DVD players the same way we look at 8 track tape.
>
> - end of rant
>
> Jaun - I own two copies of the DVD! iTunes honors creative rights in the same way as DVD licensing. How is it different? I would think the marketing reach of iTunes would help sales a great deal!
>
> Sunship game is one of my favorite movies. I will just make a copy to watch on my iPhone.
>
> Sean

I'd love to get a hold of this DVD but I'm not in the US and £40 is a bit steep for me. I'd happily pay to view it on iTunes or YouTube. Does anyone know if this is available outside the US or electronically anywhere? I don't even own a DVD player TBH.

Kiwi User
March 1st 18, 11:34 AM
On Thu, 01 Mar 2018 02:21:01 -0800, Dan S wrote:

> On Sunday, 21 June 2015 02:22:22 UTC+1, Sean Fidler wrote:
>> Wow. Just re-read this and spellcheck won that battle big time. Here
>> is a corrected version:
>>
>> Sunship game should be on YouTube and iTunes! DVDs are so 90's. Who's
>> making the decision to only offer DVDs. In 2 years DVD players will no
>> longer exist. Please reconsider the current strategy or the movie will
>> fade out of view and never be available to YOUNGER generations who
>> today look at DVD players the same way we look at 8 track tape.
>>
>> - end of rant
>>
>> Jaun - I own two copies of the DVD! iTunes honors creative rights in
>> the same way as DVD licensing. How is it different? I would think the
>> marketing reach of iTunes would help sales a great deal!
>>
>> Sunship game is one of my favorite movies. I will just make a copy to
>> watch on my iPhone.
>>
>> Sean
>
> I'd love to get a hold of this DVD but I'm not in the US and £40 is a
> bit steep for me. I'd happily pay to view it on iTunes or YouTube. Does
> anyone know if this is available outside the US or electronically
> anywhere? I don't even own a DVD player TBH.

There is or was an AVI copy somewhere on the 'net but its got two serious
defects: its low resolution (about 512x450) and blurry even at that size.
Watch it full screen and it doesn't get any better, just bigger. I think
its a transcription from film made with a domestic quality digitiser.
I've seen better quality videos made by converting 8mm home movies.

Just bite the bullet and buy the DVD. After all it is the only
professionally made cinema verite film about a soaring competition.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
March 2nd 18, 01:32 PM
On Monday, August 17, 2009 at 11:07:45 AM UTC-5, Guy Byars wrote:
> Many of us remember major events of the summer of 1969: Haight-
> Ashbury, Manson, Woodstock, Apollo-Moon, Chappaquiddick. But a lot
> was also going on that summer in a small town in southern Texas...
> Marfa!
>
> To commemorate the 40th anniversary of the 1969 US Soaring Nationals
> in Marfa TX, I have put the entire movie "The Sun Ship Game" on
> youtube.
>
> Some notes about the movie on youtube:
>
> To get under the 10 minute limit, the movie is broken into 8
> parts.
>
> The original movie had numerous musical tracks from the BeeGees. I
> had to mute/remove these for youtube. Youtube has a very clever music
> scanner that flagged them as copyright violations. So you will
> experience silence instead of the BeeGee tracks. No major loss.
>
> In some places, the audio and video get out of sync by a second or
> so. But since most of the dialog is in the form of voiceovers, this
> is not a serious problem.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSj_POL6u0w
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACpksxkyOTQ
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvQU4OqqVxc
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eenw-cueqio
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae14HGvxSgc
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzMYIcrTMA
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KCT5-lyw8g
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJmNSdA1u4

I have uploaded, and watched, lots of YouTube (home) movies longer than 10 minutes. Hmmmmm.

Dan Marotta
March 2nd 18, 03:17 PM
I clicked on the first link, got to Youtube with a black screen, and the
message, "This video is unavailable.

On 3/2/2018 6:32 AM, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
> On Monday, August 17, 2009 at 11:07:45 AM UTC-5, Guy Byars wrote:
>> Many of us remember major events of the summer of 1969: Haight-
>> Ashbury, Manson, Woodstock, Apollo-Moon, Chappaquiddick. But a lot
>> was also going on that summer in a small town in southern Texas...
>> Marfa!
>>
>> To commemorate the 40th anniversary of the 1969 US Soaring Nationals
>> in Marfa TX, I have put the entire movie "The Sun Ship Game" on
>> youtube.
>>
>> Some notes about the movie on youtube:
>>
>> To get under the 10 minute limit, the movie is broken into 8
>> parts.
>>
>> The original movie had numerous musical tracks from the BeeGees. I
>> had to mute/remove these for youtube. Youtube has a very clever music
>> scanner that flagged them as copyright violations. So you will
>> experience silence instead of the BeeGee tracks. No major loss.
>>
>> In some places, the audio and video get out of sync by a second or
>> so. But since most of the dialog is in the form of voiceovers, this
>> is not a serious problem.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSj_POL6u0w
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACpksxkyOTQ
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvQU4OqqVxc
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eenw-cueqio
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae14HGvxSgc
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzMYIcrTMA
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KCT5-lyw8g
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJmNSdA1u4
> I have uploaded, and watched, lots of YouTube (home) movies longer than 10 minutes. Hmmmmm.

--
Dan, 5J

Paul Agnew
March 2nd 18, 04:23 PM
I bit the bullet and ordered a copy from Amazon this week. It sounds like this is a must-see for aspiring glider pilots.

Paul Agnew
Jupiter, FL
ASW-19

March 3rd 18, 01:31 AM
On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 10:17:33 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:

> I clicked on the first link, got to Youtube with a black screen, and the
> message, "This video is unavailable.

I posted those videos 9 years ago, and then was "requested" by the copyright holder to remove them.

Guy Byars

gkemp
March 3rd 18, 03:29 PM
On Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 8:37:35 PM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:
> I think Gleb still lives in Durango Colorado.
>
> He and his wife, for a long time, ran a jewlery store there, and for a
> while Gleb was active in their soaring club, giving instruction.
>
> To add to his online RAS resume, Gleb was also a top fashion
> photographer in NYC, his ex-wife Ruth, a fashion model. And for those
> who remember, was the guy who shot the Alka Seltzer "On the Rocks"
> commercial.

> On Sep 8, 9:15Â*pm, Whiskey Delta > wrote:
> > Most of us know more about George Moffat and what his life in soaring
> > was like after the Marfa Nationals, but what became of Gleb
> > Derujinsky? Â*Other than what we know from the movie, does anyone know
> > what Gleb went on to do? Â*Did he continue to soar? Â*Is he still
> > flying?
> >
> > WD

one of my great pleasures in gliding was to fly in the 3rd Standard Nationals at Marfa in 1972. I was flying the only metal glider a 1-34, actually had pilots laugh at me for doing that. On one day as we were leaving the Marfa area on task Gleb dumped his water on me in a weak thermal. I continued on and eventually beat him home, he was flying a Standard Cirrus I believe. I finished 38 of 62 beating 23 glass ships. Gleb was truly a "character" and I will always remember his larger than life persona.

gary kemp

Dan Marotta
March 3rd 18, 10:19 PM
Sadly, Gleb and his wife were killed in a car accident in Durango, CO in
2011.

--
Dan, 5J

March 6th 18, 07:18 PM
On Monday, August 17, 2009 at 11:07:45 AM UTC-5, Guy Byars wrote:
> Many of us remember major events of the summer of 1969: Haight-
> Ashbury, Manson, Woodstock, Apollo-Moon, Chappaquiddick. But a lot
> was also going on that summer in a small town in southern Texas...
> Marfa!
>
> To commemorate the 40th anniversary of the 1969 US Soaring Nationals
> in Marfa TX, I have put the entire movie "The Sun Ship Game" on
> youtube.
>
> Some notes about the movie on youtube:
>
> To get under the 10 minute limit, the movie is broken into 8
> parts.
>
> The original movie had numerous musical tracks from the BeeGees. I
> had to mute/remove these for youtube. Youtube has a very clever music
> scanner that flagged them as copyright violations. So you will
> experience silence instead of the BeeGee tracks. No major loss.
>
> In some places, the audio and video get out of sync by a second or
> so. But since most of the dialog is in the form of voiceovers, this
> is not a serious problem.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSj_POL6u0w
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACpksxkyOTQ
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvQU4OqqVxc
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eenw-cueqio
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae14HGvxSgc
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzMYIcrTMA
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KCT5-lyw8g
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJmNSdA1u4

screen said unavaible when i clicked on it

March 6th 18, 08:23 PM
> screen said unavaible when i clicked on it

That is because they were removed years ago at the request of the copyright holder.

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
March 6th 18, 09:33 PM
Yet another peep that did a search for something, found a thread, didn't read the whole thread, then was "less than satisfied" when they couldn't follow a link.

The reason, for the broken link, has been covered already.

Banghead......

Jeff Morgan
March 7th 18, 02:53 AM

> screen said unavaible when i clicked on it

After reading this thread, a quick search revealed a seller on eBay. So, I ordered it. About $33 with shipping.

Paul Remde
March 7th 18, 05:23 AM
I sell legal DVDs here:
http://cumulus-soaring.com/videos.htm#SunShipGame

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 8:53:13 PM UTC-6, Jeff Morgan wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 12:18:56 PM UTC-7, wrote:
>
> > screen said unavaible when i clicked on it
>
> After reading this thread, a quick search revealed a seller on eBay. So, I ordered it. About $33 with shipping.

February 15th 19, 06:28 PM
On Friday, September 11, 2009 at 9:41:49 PM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a link on my Soaring Links page "Theory, Equations & Spreadsheets" to
> a site in Melbourne (link below) which includes a program to calculate and
> plot a Stocker final glide calculator as described in Helmut Reichmann's
> book Cross Country Soaring.
> http://www.gliding-in-melbourne.org/resource.htm
>
> More interesting links are here:
> http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/soaring_links/theory.htm
>
> Good Soaring,
>
> Paul Remde
>
> "Bob Gibbons" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:30:34 -0700 (PDT), Mike Bamberg
> > > wrote:
> >
> > ... text deleted...
> >>Actually no, it's not an e-6b. I have one of the circular glide
> >>computers from that era, set up for a 301 Libelle. There are several
> >>versions but the one I have has a side to place a sectional chart (or
> >>portion of one) and a spiral set of lines to show glide distance into
> >>a headwind. You twist the correct line over your current location and
> >>I think it indicates the correct altitude for final glide, or some
> >>combination thereof.
> >>
> >>If someone is really interested I can post pictures on my website. m
> >>l b ( at ) m i k e b a m b e r g . c o m (remove the spaces, replace
> >>the at) drop me a line and I'll go through the effort.
> >>
> >>Mike
> >
> > I presented a paper at the 1991 OSTIV meeting detailing a software
> > program, written in HP BASIC, to compute the required parameters and
> > plot the graphic overlay for this type of final glide computer, which
> > Helmut Reichmann called a "Stocker" calculator. On my copy of
> > Reichmann's "Cross Country Soaring", the descirption of the computer
> > is on page 120.
> >
> > The program I wrote was designed to drive an HP plotter which
> > generated an overlay what would be printed on a transparency and
> > overlaid on top of a sectional map.
> >
> > If anyone is interested in ancient historical artifacts, send me an
> > email and I'll forward a copy of the paper.
> >
> > Bob

At the time of the Marfa contest I was a young Glider pilot/tow pilot/dingy sailor I had a share in a KA-8. Gliding was like having fallen head over heels - in-love, like all stories worth their salt - there was a girl - yes she was as sweet as the summer breeze and bent just as sweetly. Gliding was/is - a mental sport, like being in love with a young woman. Mr Moffat made me think- Gliding is mental and intellectual, Thinking about what the heck is the weather doing now !! the high cirrus is moving in and cutting the heating on the ground - if i dont think quickly in a couple of minutes I will have to find a patch to land this thing... Ups I fell out of the core - my god I can smell the engine of the farmer thrashing the field below - what is my McCready ring setting for this head wind every minute or two - think - what next - and after that? this was George's expressed glider flying tactics... I learned to practice in my Ka-8 - and that girl ? she let me fly her fathers Libelle - she was graceful, when we danced - she moved with a inimitable grace - her waist curve was a sweet line that held you in a trance oh, what magnificent moment to be with you !! Ka8 dont be jealous.

February 17th 19, 12:11 AM
I've watched The Sun Ship Game probably a dozen times in my life but finally bought a copy to play for friends. I agree with Juan Mandelbaum that we should honor the copyright and purchase a copy from Amazon.

Having said that, I wish this would get picked up by Netflix or Amazon Prime and made available to the masses.

Maybe a successful producer and screen-writer will team-up again to make a movie that appeals to the masses, which incorporates soaring as a major theme in the movie and includes eccentric characters and a plot that would move an audience. Jimmy Chin (Meru; Free Solo), if you're reading this, please e-mail me :-)

- Chris Schrader

February 17th 19, 08:13 AM
Back when the film was unavailable for purchase (a problem with music clearance rights I believe) I made my one and only trip to the world of torrents so I could see this movie. One person was seeding it. Download took days and days. Only a few days after I had completed the download the announcement comes out that is was now available on DVD! I bought one for myself and two for friends. I figured it's well worth the money to both get a better quality copy and support the people who made it all those years ago. I think of it as the "On Any Sunday" of the soaring world. I've lost count of how many times I have watched it.

If anyone knows how the music rights (if that was the problem) got cleared so it could be released on DVD I would love to know the story.

Google