AviationBanter

AviationBanter (http://www.aviationbanter.com/index.php)
-   Soaring (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Training Needed? (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=132442)

CF[_2_] June 8th 11 09:45 PM

Training Needed?
 
I've an unrestricted private glider rating issused before 1994.. I believe
this measns I don't need a self launch endorsement? What training or
checkrides would I need to pilot a motorgliner like the Phoenix S-LSA
www.phoenixairusa.com I'm also an A&P I should be able to no my own
maintenance

R-Haggerty June 8th 11 10:15 PM

Training Needed?
 
On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 20:45:47 +0000 (UTC), CF wrote:

I've an unrestricted private glider rating issused before 1994.. I believe
this measns I don't need a self launch endorsement? What training or
checkrides would I need to pilot a motorgliner like the Phoenix S-LSA
www.phoenixairusa.com I'm also an A&P I should be able to no my own
maintenance



See this link for more info:

http://www.soaringsafety.org/ssf-06/MG-certs.pdf

If your rating is unrestricted it was most likely not properly issued.

What about winch launch or auto tow. Do you think you can do those without
training also ??

Tony[_5_] June 8th 11 10:38 PM

Training Needed?
 
have a read through FAR Part 61.31. See what applies to you. If you
received a motorglider certificate from the FAA before a certain date
(1997 I think) you do not need an endorsement to be legal.

Andy[_1_] June 8th 11 10:47 PM

Training Needed?
 
On Jun 8, 2:15*pm, R-Haggerty wrote:

If your rating is unrestricted it was most likely not properly issued.



Nonsense!

In 79 I passed an FAA private flight test using aerotow. I was issued
private glider aerotow only. Later I passed a commercial flight test
using aerotow. I was issued commercial glider aerotow only. In 1981 I
passed commercial and CFI flight test using winch lauch. I was issued
and still, have "Glider" with no restriction on launch type. FAA does
not require me to have any further training to fly any glider launch
type including self launch, since I acted as pilot of command of a
self launch glider prior to the "grandfather" date.

My certificate is "unrestricted" and was properly issued.

Andy

R-Haggerty June 8th 11 10:55 PM

Training Needed?
 
On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:47:24 -0700 (PDT), Andy wrote:

On Jun 8, 2:15*pm, R-Haggerty wrote:

If your rating is unrestricted it was most likely not properly issued.



Nonsense!

In 79 I passed an FAA private flight test using aerotow. I was issued
private glider aerotow only. Later I passed a commercial flight test
using aerotow. I was issued commercial glider aerotow only. In 1981 I
passed commercial and CFI flight test using winch lauch. I was issued
and still, have "Glider" with no restriction on launch type. FAA does
not require me to have any further training to fly any glider launch
type including self launch, since I acted as pilot of command of a
self launch glider prior to the "grandfather" date.

My certificate is "unrestricted" and was properly issued.

Andy


That may be fine for you since you flew a self launch prior to the Grandfather
date, but the original poster did not mention that he flew self launch or any of
the other launch methods prior to the "date". I have seen DPE's issue a glider
cert without the "aerotow only" clause by mistake. Do you think the FAA
questions the application or do they just go ahead and process it.

Tony[_5_] June 8th 11 11:33 PM

Training Needed?
 
On Jun 8, 4:55*pm, R-Haggerty wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:47:24 -0700 (PDT), Andy wrote:
On Jun 8, 2:15*pm, R-Haggerty wrote:


If your rating is unrestricted it was most likely not properly issued.


Nonsense!


In 79 I passed an FAA private flight test using aerotow. I was issued
private glider aerotow only. Later I passed a commercial flight test
using aerotow. I was issued commercial glider aerotow only. In 1981 I
passed commercial and CFI flight test using winch lauch. *I was issued
and still, have "Glider" with no restriction on launch type. *FAA does
not require me to have any further training to fly any glider launch
type including self launch, since I acted as pilot of command of a
self launch glider prior to the "grandfather" date.


My certificate is "unrestricted" and was properly issued.


Andy


*That may be fine for you since you flew a self launch prior to the Grandfather
date, but the original poster did not mention that he flew self launch or any of
the other launch methods prior to the "date". *I have seen DPE's issue a glider
cert without the "aerotow only" *clause by mistake. *Do you think the FAA
questions the application or do they just go ahead and process it.


since 1997, issuing glider certificates WITH an "aerotow only" clause
would be a mistake

R-Haggerty June 9th 11 01:29 AM

Training Needed?
 
On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 20:45:47 +0000 (UTC), CF wrote:

I've an unrestricted private glider rating issused before 1994.. I believe
this measns I don't need a self launch endorsement? What training or
checkrides would I need to pilot a motorgliner like the Phoenix S-LSA
www.phoenixairusa.com I'm also an A&P I should be able to no my own
maintenance


See also this link for opinions:

http://sites.google.com/site/motorgl.../licensing-faq

If you have the unrestricted glider rating than according to FAR 61.31.(j)(2)
you are good to go. However an insurance company may hold a diferent opinion as
to coverage.

[email protected] June 9th 11 01:45 AM

Training Needed?
 
On Jun 8, 4:45*pm, CF wrote:
I've an unrestricted private glider rating issused before 1994.. I believe
this measns I don't need a self launch endorsement? *What training or
checkrides would I need to pilot a motorgliner like the Phoenix *S-LSAwww.phoenixairusa.com*I'm also an A&P I should be able to no my own
maintenance


If you have not had the training that would qualify you for the self
launch endorsment, you are unlikely to be
qualified to fly the motorglider anyway.
Take the time to get the training, you will be safer for having done
so and avoid any potential insurance issues.
The FAA instituted the endorsement process as a practical and
relatively painless way to handle this issue.

FWIW
UH

R-Haggerty June 9th 11 01:58 AM

Training Needed?
 
On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 20:45:47 +0000 (UTC), CF wrote:

I've an unrestricted private glider rating issused before 1994.. I believe
this measns I don't need a self launch endorsement? What training or
checkrides would I need to pilot a motorgliner like the Phoenix S-LSA
www.phoenixairusa.com I'm also an A&P I should be able to no my own
maintenance



If you seek proper training you could follow these guidelines

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/list/AC%2061-94/$FILE/ac61-94.pdf

T[_2_] June 9th 11 04:38 AM

Training Needed?
 
On Jun 8, 1:45*pm, CF wrote:
I've an unrestricted private glider rating issused before 1994.. I believe
this measns I don't need a self launch endorsement? *What training or
checkrides would I need to pilot a motorgliner like the Phoenix *S-LSAwww.phoenixairusa.com*I'm also an A&P I should be able to no my own
maintenance


Please define what you mean by "unrestricted glider rating", please
forgive my non knowledge of any reference to 1994 as it would apply to
gliders, unless that is the date the FAA changed their certification
practices.

Older glider certificates were issued with "aero tow only" or "ground/
winch launch only" restrictions. Those were removed in the 90s and the
certificate simply says "glider. The type of launch method authorized
or approved is now an instructor endorsement under 61.31(j).

You are still governed under 61.31(j) and would need a logbook
endorsement from a qualified glider instructor for "self launch".


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
AviationBanter.com