-   Piloting (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gliders in the Grand Canyon (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=58648)

Mxsmanic June 2nd 07 02:05 PM

Gliders in the Grand Canyon

If there were no airspace restrictions, would it be possible/safe to fly
gliders in the Grand Canyon? There's not much of a place to land in the
canyon, of course, but I don't know if there are thermals or something (?)
that would allow a glider to climb back up out of the canyon after gliding
below the rim. Is it possible? Has anyone done it?

Ron Natalie June 2nd 07 02:29 PM

Gliders in the Grand Canyon

Mxsmanic wrote:
If there were no airspace restrictions, would it be possible/safe to fly
gliders in the Grand Canyon? There's not much of a place to land in the
canyon, of course, but I don't know if there are thermals or something (?)
that would allow a glider to climb back up out of the canyon after gliding
below the rim. Is it possible? Has anyone done it?

Go read SFAR 50-2 and come back if you have further questions.
You can't operate even a powered aircraft below the rim in most
places.

Bob Moore June 2nd 07 02:57 PM

Gliders in the Grand Canyon

Ron Natalie wrote

Mxsmanic wrote:
If there were no airspace restrictions, would it be possible/safe to
fly gliders in the Grand Canyon?

Go read SFAR 50-2 and come back if you have further questions.
You can't operate even a powered aircraft below the rim in most
places.

Ron, he stated "If there were no airspace restrictions". Seems to me
as if he is inquiring about the physics of the situation, not the
legality.

Bob Moore

Mxsmanic June 2nd 07 03:00 PM

Gliders in the Grand Canyon

Ron Natalie writes:

Go read SFAR 50-2 and come back if you have further questions.

original question, and then answer the question, if you can and wish to do so.

d&tm[_2_] June 2nd 07 03:00 PM

Gliders in the Grand Canyon

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:
If there were no airspace restrictions, would it be possible/safe to fly
gliders in the Grand Canyon? There's not much of a place to land in the
canyon, of course, but I don't know if there are thermals or something
(?)
that would allow a glider to climb back up out of the canyon after
gliding
below the rim. Is it possible? Has anyone done it?

Go read SFAR 50-2 and come back if you have further questions.
You can't operate even a powered aircraft below the rim in most
places.

Is that a recent rule? I vividly remember my trip to the Grand Canyon in
1985 It was our honeymoon and I havent been able to get back since.
We took a 1 hour flight in a Twin Otter of Grand Canyon Airlines. It went
way down into canyon, and it was quite specatacular looking out the window
to see a rock wall. I will also never forget hearing on the news about 3
months later that one of these planes ( I never did find out if it was the
same one) had a midair with a helicopter killing all onboard.
Terry
PPL Downunder

Peter Dohm June 2nd 07 04:12 PM

Gliders in the Grand Canyon

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Ron Natalie writes:

Go read SFAR 50-2 and come back if you have further questions.

my

Peter Dohm June 2nd 07 04:18 PM

Gliders in the Grand Canyon

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Ron Natalie writes:

Go read SFAR 50-2 and come back if you have further questions.

in
my
original question, and then answer the question, if you can and wish to

do
so.

That was not supposed to be sent!

What I intended to say was that: "If a picture is worth 1000 words, a look
from the rim is worth 1000 volumes."

Bertie the Bunyip[_4_] June 3rd 07 04:42 AM

Gliders in the Grand Canyon

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

If there were no airspace restrictions, would it be possible/safe to
fly gliders in the Grand Canyon? There's not much of a place to land
in the canyon, of course, but I don't know if there are thermals or
something (?) that would allow a glider to climb back up out of the
canyon after gliding below the rim. Is it possible? Has anyone done
it?

Why, ? You'll never do it.

Bertie

Bertie the Bunyip[_6_] June 3rd 07 04:45 AM

Gliders in the Grand Canyon

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Ron Natalie writes:

Go read SFAR 50-2 and come back if you have further questions.

RESTRICTIONS" in my original question, and then answer the question,
if you can and wish to do so.

I can. I learned to fly in gliders and I'll send you the answer for a
bargain $100

Bertie

[email protected] June 3rd 07 05:15 AM

Gliders in the Grand Canyon

Mxsmanic wrote:
If there were no airspace restrictions, would it be possible/safe to fly
gliders in the Grand Canyon? There's not much of a place to land in the
canyon, of course, but I don't know if there are thermals or something (?)
that would allow a glider to climb back up out of the canyon after gliding
below the rim. Is it possible? Has anyone done it?

Since according to you MSFS acurately simulates everything including
wake turbulance and posters here are not believeable, why are you
asking instead of just using MSFS to answer the question?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.