-   -   Ka-6 Rigging (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=83966)

vontresc August 5th 08 03:41 PM

Ka-6 Rigging

Well I finally got out in my (new to me anyways) Ka-6 the other day,
and I was wondering if anyone out there has some tips to make
assembling it any easier. Ideally I'd like to get to a system where I
wouldn't have to bother fellow club members too much for help. I
figure as long as I keep the beer fridge stocked with good beer, I
might keep my fellow member happy enough to continue helping me
rig :-)

Peter

Dave Martin[_2_] August 5th 08 05:25 PM

Ka-6 Rigging

A few years ago at a site in Austria I saw a one man rigging kit for an
ASK6. It was basically an electric hospital patient lifting trolley/hoist.
Like a small fork lift truck.
The owner puller the fuselage out, followed by the wings, these were laid
on the ground alongside the fuselage roughly in place then placed on the
lifting hoist and raised into position.
The rigger had a control box on a long lead to manouvre the wing into
place. The whole thing looked precarious, but it worked. De rigging was
the reverse.

Unfortunately it took ages -- the owner refused all offers of help from
the numerous bodies who stood and watched. It was an ingenious triumph of
design and application. Sorry no pictures.

In understand there are electric one man rigging kits an with a similar
fly lead and a lot smaller than the one I have described

Dave Martin

Jim White[_3_] August 5th 08 05:40 PM

Ka-6 Rigging

A better use of the hospital trolley than carting off the crew who tried to
do it without.

Happier now

Jim

Chris Reed[_2_] August 5th 08 05:42 PM

Ka-6 Rigging

At a minimum, make two trestles high enough for the wing tips when they
at approximately the correct rigging height. Aluminium step ladders with
pipe cladding on the top bar are good, if you can find them the right
height, though DIY wood is a bit cheaper and you can make a broad top to
allow some sideways movement.

This should mean (after some practice) that you can rig with just one
helper. Initially use two helpers to make sure you don't dislodge the
wing which is already in place.

The main point is that your helpers shouldn't have to take the weight of
the wings while you line everything up. No-one minds lifting a wing for
a few seconds (even my Open Cirrus wing), but holding up a tip for 5
minutes while attempts are made to line up the other can be really hard
work for someone who is past physical peak with a dodgy back (I think
that's most of us these days).

I used to fly a Grob Astir, and they have an undeserved reputation for
being tricky to rig. Once I invested in two trestles it was no problem
finding helpers.

vontresc August 5th 08 07:22 PM

Ka-6 Rigging

vontresc wrote:
Well I finally got out in my (new to me anyways) Ka-6 the other day,
and I was wondering if anyone out there has some tips to make
assembling it any easier. Ideally I'd like to get to a system where I
wouldn't have to bother fellow club members too much for help. I
figure as long as I keep the beer fridge stocked with good beer, I
might keep my fellow member happy enough to continue helping me
rig :-)

Peter- Hide quoted text -

That is more or less the system it came with. I have a "Calibrated"
wood ladder that doubles as a stop for the cradle in the trailer to
rest the left wing on while assembling. I tend to do the heavy lifting
on the wing root while trying to align the drag spar, and main spar.
I'm guessing that with practice I'll figure out how to position the
wing prior to lifting ut up to the fuse.

Pete

Steve Leonard[_2_] August 6th 08 09:55 PM

Ka-6 Rigging

Ka-6s go together quite easy. Left wing on first, bring it in square or
slightly tip forward. Get the drag pin in, then move the tip aft until
the lift fitting bottoms out. Put a stand under it to make the bottom of
the spar roughly parallel with the fuselage deck. The leading edge is a
straight line from tip to tip, so tell your tip person this. That will
get you right on the fore and aft part for the second wing, so the wings
can slide together. I always put the drag pins in before the main pins.

To get the main pins in, I always have to tell the new guys to hold onto
the spar when you push the pins in. If you don't, the fuselage will roll
back (ours sits on its wheel with a stand to keep it upright) if the
fittings were not absolutely perfectly aligned, and the fitings will go
out of alignment, making the pin impossible to put in. Is this maybe when
you start to have an issue? I always like to go up as required to get the
top pin in first, then go down and get the bottom pin. Once both wings
are in place, it should take less than 30 seconds to get the pins in.
With the wings sitting on pads beside the fuselage, putting each one on
shouldn't take much over 30 seconds from Lift to On.

We find it is easiest to have three people. This way, you can easily set
the wing onto the fuselage, with one person suporting the wing by the
laeding edge, and one supporting it by the trailing edge at the root. The
TE guy can also tell you what needs to happen to engage the lift pin. Oh,
and with three people, nobody has to lift over about 40 lbs, or do a lift
in an awkward stance that might hurt your back.

Steve Leonard
Ka-6CrPE
N958Z

Nick Kennedy August 6th 08 10:10 PM

Ka-6 Rigging

At 16:42 05 August 2008, Chris Reed wrote:

I owned a really cool Ka6CR, N6501D and I always needed someone to help me
rig it as [ at the time, things may have changed ] I could not find a self
rigger that would raise the wing high enough to work.

It is a real plus, once you fiqure it out, to have "it all ready to go"
so when you ask someone to help you, that you can pull the wings out with
no fuss and quickly get the pins in so your helper can move on. Take your
time the first few times you rig, with a patient helper so you can fiqure
out the angles, but after that you should only need a helper for 4 or 5
minutes to get the wings on, or off.
By the way, what a Totally Cool Airplane! Of ALL the aircraft I've flown
it was my favorite, super fun to fly ,easy to rig [ I did have a good
trailer which is a big help ] and good perfomance, I had several 500 km
flights in mine in Telluride Parowan and Ely, Just a all around
sweetheart, I wish I could have kept mine, but it did go to a ggod home
NicK Kennedy

Nick Kennedy August 6th 08 10:25 PM

Ka-6 Rigging

Steve is my old Ka6CR N6501D in your club?
GOOD LUCK in Uvalde
Nick Kennedy

rlovinggood August 7th 08 12:38 AM

Ka-6 Rigging

I haven't flown a Ka6 CR, but I've helped assemble one many times..
Seems like it was always pretty easy with just the owner/pilot taking
the root end and me out on a tip. Left wing in first and the drag
pins inserted. Wing held up by his wooden stand. Now, right wing.
Drag pins in, then the main pins. Sometimes, he would have to run out
to the left wing and jiggle while I was still on the right wing.

I think one reason for "easy" rigging is we rigged at the trailer tie-
down area and not out with the "crowd" at the "assembly area" near the
runway. We had the space all to ourselves. No gaggle of
supervisors. No noisy towplanes. No guests asking a bunch of
questions. Just us two without interruptions.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA