-   Piloting (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Washington DC airspace closing for good? (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=30403)

tony roberts August 4th 05 02:30 AM

Washington DC airspace closing for good?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050804/...al_restricted_
airspace

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

George Patterson August 4th 05 02:51 AM

tony roberts wrote:

Looks like it.
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...50803adiz.html

George Patterson

Michael 182 August 4th 05 03:09 AM

It's incredibly stupid, but it is not, as the topic suggests, a proposal to
close DC airspace. I assume it is a proposal to make the ADIZ permanent.

Michael

George Patterson August 4th 05 04:12 AM

Michael 182 wrote:
It's incredibly stupid, but it is not, as the topic suggests, a proposal to
close DC airspace. I assume it is a proposal to make the ADIZ permanent.

Not exactly. It's a proposal to turn the ADIZ into restricted airspace. That
effectively closes it to many of us.

George Patterson

Larry Dighera August 4th 05 08:36 AM

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 03:12:06 GMT, George Patterson
wrote in [email protected]::

Not exactly. It's a proposal to turn the ADIZ into restricted airspace. That
effectively closes it to many of us.

The FAA proposal to change the DC ADIZ into Restricted airspace with a
ceiling of 18,000' is likely an effort to further de-clutter it.
Perhaps there are so many authorized flights using the airspace now,
that it is too congested to permit effective radar tracking of primary
targets. If so, perhaps a new radar installation might be more
effective.

One wonders how flights originating within the airspace, and
congressional commuters will be handled when it becomes Restricted.

Happy Dog August 4th 05 10:34 AM

wrote in [email protected]::

Not exactly. It's a proposal to turn the ADIZ into restricted airspace.
That
effectively closes it to many of us.

The FAA proposal to change the DC ADIZ into Restricted airspace with a
ceiling of 18,000' is likely an effort to further de-clutter it.

Crap.

http://www.aopa.org/

Join if you already haven't.

moo

[email protected] August 4th 05 02:56 PM

Hm...I just read the proposed changes and I don't see that:

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...4adiz-nprm.pdf

Am I missing something here?

What I read is that the current adiz requirements would be made
permanent. Where does it deviate from that?

This PDF hadn't been linked to the AOPA article last night, so I went
to bed thinking my flying days were effectively over after reading your
post.

Now, after reading it, I think its what Michael said it is, a proposal
to make the ADIZ permanent.

I fly out of leesburg. The proceedures are really not that dificult or
time consuming for a plane with mode C:

-Call Flight service and file an ADIZ FP prior to flight. Five minutes
and can be done while driving to airport.

-Call CD prior to takeing off to get a code and departure freq.

-Call ATC and remain in contact after leaving the pattern (no need to
call if you are staying in the pattern)

-BC

Larry Dighera August 4th 05 03:43 PM

On 4 Aug 2005 06:56:26 -0700, wrote in
.com::

What I read is that the current adiz requirements would be made
permanent. Where does it deviate from that?

AOPA says it will be a restricted area:

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...50803adiz.html
AOPA will oppose an FAA proposal scheduled for release tomorrow
that would codify flight restrictions in the Washington, D.C.,
metropolitan area. The restricted area would replace the current
air defense identification zone (ADIZ). It would receive a
brand-new designation, "National Defense Airspace," and cover
nearly 2,000 square miles around Washington, D.C., extending to an
altitude of 18,000 feet.

Larry Dighera August 4th 05 03:47 PM

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 05:34:59 -0400, "Happy Dog"
wrote in ::

.. .
wrote in [email protected]::

Not exactly. It's a proposal to turn the ADIZ into restricted airspace.
That
effectively closes it to many of us.

The FAA proposal to change the DC ADIZ into Restricted airspace with a
ceiling of 18,000' is likely an effort to further de-clutter it.

Crap.

Oh, no thank you.

http://www.aopa.org/

Join if you already haven't.

While I've been an AOPA member for decades, I completely fail to
understand how that relates to your outburst.

moo

Oh. And here I expected to be debating with a non bovine airman. Oh
well...

Peter R. August 4th 05 04:09 PM

Larry Dighera wrote:

Oh, no thank you.

http://www.aopa.org/

Join if you already haven't.

While I've been an AOPA member for decades, I completely fail to
understand how that relates to your outburst.

moo

Oh. And here I expected to be debating with a non bovine airman. Oh
well...

Stand down, Larry.

He was expressing his frustration to the newsgroup at large regarding the
news that this closing looks to be a reality and he making a statement to
pilots in general that now more than ever pilots need to join AOPA to fight
this restriction.

He was not directing his comments specifically at you.

--
Peter