-   -   Flying Gloves (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=51386)

Neil February 12th 07 12:22 PM

Flying Gloves

Does anyone have any recommendations for lightweight, but good "grip" gloves
for use when gliding, that would be available in or from the UK?

I'm looking for something with good "feel" and that won't slip from the
stick, or cable release, but that provides a degree of warmth when it's
colder.

I've seen some longer cuff power-pilots gloves in aviation stores, and eBay,
which are beyond wrist-length and have fire-proof uppers with leather
palm/finger areas. I don't think the fire-proos benefit is necessary (!)
and welcome any advice from anyone who may have used those or other better
types.

Thanks,
Neil

Papa3 February 12th 07 01:49 PM

Flying Gloves

On Feb 12, 7:22 am, "Neil" wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for lightweight, but good "grip" gloves
for use when gliding, that would be available in or from the UK?

I'm looking for something with good "feel" and that won't slip from the
stick, or cable release, but that provides a degree of warmth when it's
colder.

I've seen some longer cuff power-pilots gloves in aviation stores, and eBay,
which are beyond wrist-length and have fire-proof uppers with leather
palm/finger areas. I don't think the fire-proos benefit is necessary (!)
and welcome any advice from anyone who may have used those or other better
types.

Thanks,
Neil

If you want something that's not bulky but provides only a fair bit of
warmth, try sports gloves. For example, goalkeepers gloves might do
the trick. I used them for a while, but they're not warm enough for
long flights, so I just use good ski gloves.

P3

Craig February 12th 07 03:29 PM

Flying Gloves

Golf gloves work pretty well. Only drawback is you have to by them
separately for each hand.

Craig

[email protected] February 12th 07 04:07 PM

Flying Gloves

Good morning Neil,

I have been flying over the years with equestrian gloves. They are
lightweight, have a pebbled grip palm and are secured around the wrist
with velcro. I found them to be very comfortable, and have kept my
hands reasonably warm in wave flight. They wick away the moisture and
are washable. Any shop which sells stuff for riders would have them.
In addition, they are really inexpensive.

Cheers, Charles

jcarlyle February 12th 07 05:35 PM

Flying Gloves

I use Isotoner gloves. They give a good grip for driving, and are
fairly cheap. I found them hot in the cockpit at 23 F (-5 C) due to
direct sun on my hands, but they are warm when I walk the dog at night
at 6 F (-14 C).

-John

Tim[_2_] February 12th 07 05:36 PM

Flying Gloves

Neil:

I will echo Charlie's suggestion of equestrian gloves. I've used them
for more than 8 years and would not use anything else. For Warm
weather I fly with white gloves, for cold weather I fly with a darker
color. Having used golf gloves for years in my early flying career,
the equestrian gloves are way better. I fly with the SSG All-Weather
Gloves; they come in many colors; I got mine by over the internet
through Dover Saddlery in the U.S..

All the best, Tim McAllister

[email protected] February 12th 07 05:58 PM

Flying Gloves

On Feb 12, 6:22 am, "Neil" wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for lightweight, but good "grip" gloves
for use when gliding, that would be available in or from the UK?

I'm looking for something with good "feel" and that won't slip from the
stick, or cable release, but that provides a degree of warmth when it's
colder.

I've seen some longer cuff power-pilots gloves in aviation stores, and eBay,
which are beyond wrist-length and have fire-proof uppers with leather
palm/finger areas. I don't think the fire-proos benefit is necessary (!)
and welcome any advice from anyone who may have used those or other better
types.

Thanks,
Neil

Water ski gloves have excellent grip characteristics....for obvious
reasons. Sailing gloves might work ok too.

Lew Hartswick February 12th 07 11:05 PM

Flying Gloves

Neil wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for lightweight, but good "grip" gloves
for use when gliding, that would be available in or from the UK?

I'm looking for something with good "feel" and that won't slip from the
stick, or cable release, but that provides a degree of warmth when it's
colder.

I've seen some longer cuff power-pilots gloves in aviation stores, and eBay,
which are beyond wrist-length and have fire-proof uppers with leather
palm/finger areas. I don't think the fire-proos benefit is necessary (!)
and welcome any advice from anyone who may have used those or other better
types.

Thanks,
Neil

Pro football wide receiver gloves. :-)
...lew...

Martin Gregorie February 13th 07 01:59 PM

Flying Gloves

Neil wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for lightweight, but good "grip" gloves
for use when gliding, that would be available in or from the UK?

I'm looking for something with good "feel" and that won't slip from the
stick, or cable release, but that provides a degree of warmth when it's
colder.

I've seen some longer cuff power-pilots gloves in aviation stores, and eBay,
which are beyond wrist-length and have fire-proof uppers with leather
palm/finger areas. I don't think the fire-proos benefit is necessary (!)
and welcome any advice from anyone who may have used those or other better
types.

The best pair of gloves I've owned are a pair of lightweight REI ski
gloves. The shells are thin polyester with leather palms and finger
under surfaces. The gloves are filled with Holofil fibre or equivalent.
They are warm and very flexible. I don't recall flying in them but I
wouldn't hesitate to do so in future - I can just about type (very
slowly) on this laptop in them.

http://www.rei.com/ - the Vertigo over gloves look like the current
equivalent. I got mine in 2001 for about $20, but prices have moved on...

Unlike some other US retailers, REI still accept orders from outside
North America.

HTH

--
[email protected] | Martin Gregorie