-   Instrument Flight Rules (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Confusing instructions from ATC.. looking for a concise response (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=77730)

Terence Wilson March 30th 08 02:11 AM

Confusing instructions from ATC.. looking for a concise response

When a transmission is garbled I'm used to saying "say again", but I
was wondering what to say when a transmission comes through in the
clear, but doesn't make much sense (to me). This probably doesn't
happen very often to experienced pilots, but how would you advise a
student to respond? Should I simply say

"Cherokee 1234, don't understand"

Or is there an standard way of saying I don't have a clue what you're
talking about?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Gardner March 30th 08 02:29 AM

Confusing instructions from ATC.. looking for a concise response

No, there is no standard way. Controllers are supposed to use the
phraseology dictated by the Air Traffic Control Handbook until it becomes
apparent that the pilot doesn't understand....then plain language takes
over. "I don't understand what you want me to do" is as good as anything.
You should definitely not take any action based on an instruction that you
do not fully understand. Don't worry about bugging the controllers...they're
used to it.

Bob Gardner
SAY AGAIN, PLEASE

BillJ March 30th 08 02:40 AM

Terence Wilson wrote:
When a transmission is garbled I'm used to saying "say again", but I
was wondering what to say when a transmission comes through in the
clear, but doesn't make much sense (to me). This probably doesn't
happen very often to experienced pilots, but how would you advise a
student to respond? Should I simply say

"Cherokee 1234, don't understand"

Or is there an standard way of saying I don't have a clue what you're
talking about?

Thanks in advance.

The single word 'unfamiliar' usually does it.

tscottme March 30th 08 08:35 AM

Confusing instructions from ATC.. looking for a concise response

"Terence Wilson" wrote in message
When a transmission is garbled I'm used to saying "say again", but I
was wondering what to say when a transmission comes through in the
clear, but doesn't make much sense (to me). This probably doesn't
happen very often to experienced pilots, but how would you advise a
student to respond? Should I simply say

"Cherokee 1234, don't understand"

Or is there an standard way of saying I don't have a clue what you're
talking about?

"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over"
;-)
--

Scott

Who better to unite the political and racial divides of America than
a corrupt, racist radical?

Hilton March 30th 08 10:27 AM

Terence wrote:
When a transmission is garbled I'm used to saying "say again", but I
was wondering what to say when a transmission comes through in the
clear, but doesn't make much sense (to me). This probably doesn't
happen very often to experienced pilots, but how would you advise a
student to respond? Should I simply say

"Cherokee 1234, don't understand"

Or is there an standard way of saying I don't have a clue what you're
talking about?

"You want what???" :)

Seriously, just say "Say again for N12345"

Hilton

Steven P. McNicoll[_2_] March 30th 08 01:50 PM

On Mar 30, 4:27 am, "Hilton" wrote:

"You want what???" :)

Seriously, just say "Say again for N12345"

The controller will then likely just repeat the transmission. Not
very useful when you've heard it clearly but didn't understand the
meaning.

Dane Spearing April 1st 08 04:14 PM

Confusing instructions from ATC.. looking for a concise response

In article ,
tscottme wrote:
Or is there an standard way of saying I don't have a clue what you're
talking about?

"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over"

ROFLMOL. I'll be chuckling about that one for days.

-- Dane

Terence Wilson April 1st 08 06:56 PM

Confusing instructions from ATC.. looking for a concise response

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:14:41 +0000 (UTC),
(Dane Spearing) wrote:

"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over"

ROFLMOL. I'll be chuckling about that one for days.

Thanks. I'll use that on my checkride.