-   Naval Aviation (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Midway air battle (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=10645)

Bob December 7th 03 02:55 AM

Midway air battle

I am researching the record of A. R. Stitzelberger, a distant relative, who
was a gunner in the Battle of Midway. According to the official battle
report the plane that he flew on the Enterprises' first sortie of the battle
was subsequently flown by two other pilots and gunners. Was it common for
planes to have multiple crews?

Thanks,

Bob

Thomas Schoene December 7th 03 12:38 PM

Bob wrote:
I am researching the record of A. R. Stitzelberger, a distant
relative, who was a gunner in the Battle of Midway. According to the
official battle report the plane that he flew on the Enterprises'
first sortie of the battle was subsequently flown by two other pilots
and gunners. Was it common for planes to have multiple crews?

Squadrons almost always had more crews than planes. It would be unusual for
a pilot to fly the same plane all the time.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Joel Shepherd December 8th 03 03:04 AM

Bob wrote:
I am researching the record of A. R. Stitzelberger, a distant
relative...

If it's of interest:
http://www.cv6.org/noumea/default.asp?uri=detail/leam-img-z--8000004

"Stitz", as Jack Leaming called him, is in the center of the front row.

--
Joel.