-   Instrument Flight Rules (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"? (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=75561)

Terence Wilson February 16th 08 04:41 AM

Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

One annoyance of the 430 is that activating an approach will
immediately set a course for the selected IAF (assuming RV not
selected). What I would like to do is append the approach to my
current flightplan so that I can transition en route to the approach
without further programming. But I'm concerned that a loaded,
unactivated approach will cause the 430 not to switch to approach
senstivity. I tried this in the simulator and found that it seems to
work fine, the sensitivity changes 2nm from the FAF and all is well;
but I'm hesistant to start using the method in the A/C.
Can someone else verify that it is ok? What method do you use?

Stan Prevost February 16th 08 05:04 AM

Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

So you are f lying along, direct KABC. You have loaded an approach and
selected an IAF. How do you expect the box to know when to switch from
having the TO Waypoint being the airport to having it be the IAF?

Activating a loaded approach is really a trivial action. PROC, ENTER. Not
exactly programming.

Sam Spade February 16th 08 02:38 PM

Terence Wilson wrote:
One annoyance of the 430 is that activating an approach will
immediately set a course for the selected IAF (assuming RV not
selected). What I would like to do is append the approach to my
current flightplan so that I can transition en route to the approach
without further programming. But I'm concerned that a loaded,
unactivated approach will cause the 430 not to switch to approach
senstivity. I tried this in the simulator and found that it seems to
work fine, the sensitivity changes 2nm from the FAF and all is well;
but I'm hesistant to start using the method in the A/C.
Can someone else verify that it is ok? What method do you use?

You don't quite understand the activate approach function. It should
seldom be used. It's primary purpose is for a "pop up" VFR operation to
go from VFR directly to an IAF and begin a full approach.

The normal procedure is to load the approach. It will always activate
on its own two miles prior to the FAF.

SimGuy February 16th 08 04:27 PM

Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:04:53 -0600, "Stan Prevost"
wrote:

So you are f lying along, direct KABC. You have loaded an approach and
selected an IAF. How do you expect the box to know when to switch from
having the TO Waypoint being the airport to having it be the IAF?

Activating a loaded approach is really a trivial action. PROC, ENTER. Not
exactly programming.

The point is this- loading the approach makes the IAF the active
waypoint, which I may or may not want.

Terence Wilson February 16th 08 04:29 PM

Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 06:38:42 -0800, Sam Spade
wrote:

Terence Wilson wrote:
[...]

OK thanks. That was the source of my confusion. I wasn't sure whether
there was something magic about activation. It sounds like the only
purpose of activation is to set the IAF as the active waypoint.
Thanks.

Mitty February 16th 08 04:47 PM

On 2/16/2008 10:27 AM, SimGuy wrote the following:

The point is this- loading the approach makes the IAF the active
waypoint, which I may or may not want.

No, it doesn't.

Thomas Borchert February 16th 08 05:49 PM

Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

Terence,

It sounds like the only
purpose of activation is to set the IAF as the active waypoint.

Hmm. You have me very confused now. What's wrong with the IAF, if
that's where the full approach starts (you mentioned no RV)?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Terence Wilson February 16th 08 06:10 PM

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:47:11 -0600, Mitty wrote:

On 2/16/2008 10:27 AM, SimGuy wrote the following:

The point is this- loading the approach makes the IAF the active
waypoint, which I may or may not want.

No, it doesn't.

Sorry, I meant to say "activating".

Terence Wilson February 16th 08 06:14 PM

Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:49:42 +0100, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

Terence,

It sounds like the only
purpose of activation is to set the IAF as the active waypoint.

Hmm. You have me very confused now. What's wrong with the IAF, if
that's where the full approach starts (you mentioned no RV)?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Well suppose I am enroute and approaching the SGD VOR. At this point I
am getting close to my destination and want to setup the KCCR VOR
approach which starts at the CCR IAF. If I load and activate the
approach a megenta line will immediately be drawn from my present
position to CCR. Want I want is the route SGD, CCR ... KCCR.

Thomas Borchert February 16th 08 06:46 PM

Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

Terence,

Well suppose I am enroute and approaching the SGD VOR. At this point I
am getting close to my destination and want to setup the KCCR VOR
approach which starts at the CCR IAF. If I load and activate the
approach a megenta line will immediately be drawn from my present
position to CCR. Want I want is the route SGD, CCR ... KCCR.

I see. In that case, what's wrong with loading the procedure and then
waiting with activation until passing SGD.

Also, upon rereading the 430 manual I noticed that activating
vectors-to-final will always get you to the FAF. I could find no mention
of the automatic activation mentioned by someone. However, automatic CDI
switching (to VLOC) will only happen on an activated procedure, it
seems.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)