-   -   glue to rebond rubber tailskid to LS6 (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=237118)

kirk.stant July 24th 17 05:57 PM

glue to rebond rubber tailskid to LS6

The black rubber tailskid (the one with the embedded rollerblade wheel) on my LS6 has come loose - after the last landing when I noticed grass stuck between the boom and the skid, I was able to simply pull off the skid - undamaged as far as I can tell.

Looking for suggestions on what bonding agent (and process, if needed, other than common sense cleaning and roughening) to use to reattach it.

Since it has to be able to break away in a ground loop, I assume there is an optimum (or even required) bonding strength?

I don't remember seeing this covered in my LS6 maintenance manual, but need to check it again; meanwhile, anyone have recent experience rebonding a tail skid?

Suggestions?

Kirk
66

Mike C July 24th 17 06:09 PM

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 10:57:19 AM UTC-6, kirk.stant wrote:
The black rubber tailskid (the one with the embedded rollerblade wheel) on my LS6 has come loose - after the last landing when I noticed grass stuck between the boom and the skid, I was able to simply pull off the skid - undamaged as far as I can tell.

Looking for suggestions on what bonding agent (and process, if needed, other than common sense cleaning and roughening) to use to reattach it.

Since it has to be able to break away in a ground loop, I assume there is an optimum (or even required) bonding strength?

I don't remember seeing this covered in my LS6 maintenance manual, but need to check it again; meanwhile, anyone have recent experience rebonding a tail skid?

Suggestions?

Kirk
66

When the skid/tail wheel came off of my Mini, I secured it again with 3M rubber cement using gorilla tape to hold it in place while it cured.

Still attached after several years.

Mike

Scott Williams July 24th 17 06:15 PM

glue to rebond rubber tailskid to LS6

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 11:57:19 AM UTC-5,
Two years ago I replaced my cirrus rubber & steel skid with a rubber & wheel, I used 3m contact cement. Once while moving the glider in the hangar (concrete surface) I side loaded the tail wheel and the rubber & wheel debonded from the tail, I reattached it with contact cement and have 15 or so flights landing on hard surface with no issues.

Good Luck,
Scott

JS[_5_] July 24th 17 06:22 PM

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 9:57:19 AM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:
The black rubber tailskid (the one with the embedded rollerblade wheel) on my LS6 has come loose - after the last landing when I noticed grass stuck between the boom and the skid, I was able to simply pull off the skid - undamaged as far as I can tell.

Looking for suggestions on what bonding agent (and process, if needed, other than common sense cleaning and roughening) to use to reattach it.

Since it has to be able to break away in a ground loop, I assume there is an optimum (or even required) bonding strength?

I don't remember seeing this covered in my LS6 maintenance manual, but need to check it again; meanwhile, anyone have recent experience rebonding a tail skid?

Suggestions?

Kirk
66

I know it's time to fly, but...
Consider cutting a hole in the bottom of the tail (discovering that there is already a wheel well in the LS6) and installing a tail wheel.
Using either plastic, alloy or brass wheel, you can adjust C/G.
The factory wheel well is built for a 210x65, but we put a 200x50 in #6046, and faired it in nicely.
Jim

Roy B. July 24th 17 06:37 PM

glue to rebond rubber tailskid to LS6

I use 3M brand double sided foam sticky tape for tail skids and wing tip skids. Cover the entire surface, trim with a sharp knife then stick together. Works fine - holds when it should and breaks away when it should.
ROY

Dan Marotta July 24th 17 06:58 PM

glue to rebond rubber tailskid to LS6

For years I used plain old contact cement to bond the tail skid/roller
blade to my LS-6a. Worked like a champ! Double sided foam tape looks
like it might work, but I'd be concerned that it might drop off. I've
not had good luck with double sided foam tape in other applications.

--
Dan, 5J

Papa3[_2_] July 24th 17 07:03 PM

glue to rebond rubber tailskid to LS6

Specifically - I highly recommend 3M VHB tape. Here's the product description:

4941 Family
This family utilizes multi-purpose acrylic adhesive on both sides of
a conformable adhesive foam core. The adhesive provides excellent
adhesion to a broad range of high and medium surface energy
substrates including metals, glass, and a wide variety of plastics, as
well as plasticized vinyl. The conformable adhesive foam core provides
good contact, even with mismatched substrates. The combination of
foam strength, conformability, and adhesion makes this family one of
the most capable all-around 3M™ VHB™ tapes

The secret is that the foam allows it to bridge the usual discontinuities in the urethane molded tailskid and the fiberglass tail boom. It's plenty strong but will fail under a high enough side load. Much easier to work with than contact cement, except that you have to get the alignment 100% correct on the first pass. It's worth spending some time supporting the fuselage on it's side and working with a helper to guide the alignment. One you stick it - it's stuck.

P3

Tango Eight July 24th 17 07:58 PM

glue to rebond rubber tailskid to LS6

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 12:57:19 PM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:

Suggestions?

"Marine Goop", "Automotive Goop" or similar, available at Homerville, er Home Depot.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Tony[_5_] July 24th 17 08:26 PM

glue to rebond rubber tailskid to LS6

I've had good luck with Weldwood Contact Cement on the Std. Cirrus...

[email protected] July 24th 17 11:02 PM

glue to rebond rubber tailskid to LS6

The 3M heavy duty double sided tape works great. Not the white stuff, the black stuff. It's great for tail skids, wing tip skids, and even that 5 dollar Home Depot wing tip wheel I use to aid an unassisted take off from a paved strip.