-   -   Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm? (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=267471)

Mike N. February 20th 20 03:13 PM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

I am exploring the possibility of converting my Ventus Ct sustainer to Cm self launcher.

At this point just trying to determine if this is even feasible at a practical cost... ;-)

Anyway, just thinking out loud at this point.

Any information or help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike N.

Sky Surfer February 21st 20 02:55 AM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

You might try the Homebuiltairplanes.com forums. The Soaring and Electric Propulsion forums will yield lively responses.

Mike N. February 21st 20 03:15 AM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

Thanks for the sarcasm, wothless and not helpful at all, but semi typical for R.A.S.

So let me spell it out for you, can I take a Ventus Cm Solo motor and control panel, and install it in a Ct?

As I stated in my O.P. I was just thinking out loud.
I realize it is not likely to be a viable option.
That being said, the motors in both the Ct and Cm are designed for easy removal and re-installation so the glider can be flown sans motor without to much effort.

Which is why I was thinking MAYBE it would not be too difficult to transition a Cm motor to a Ct.

Of course you'd have to know if the pylon mounts are the same, swap out the motor control panel, etc.

Thanks for any useful feedback.

[email protected] February 21st 20 03:46 AM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

What's sarcastic about referring you to other forums where some soaring pilots might have ideas? Discussions aren't all necessarily about homebuilt aircraft at those forums. Not all Ventus fliers congregate here, in case you didn't know that. Maybe you're “typical" of RAS from time to time – asking a vague question, then being a jerk when somebody tries to help. Now that's worthless. Now go take your Prozac.

Bob Gibbons[_2_] February 21st 20 03:49 AM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 19:15:45 -0800 (PST), "Mike N."
wrote:

Thanks for the sarcasm, wothless and not helpful at all, but semi typical for R.A.S.

So let me spell it out for you, can I take a Ventus Cm Solo motor and control panel, and install it in a Ct?

As I stated in my O.P. I was just thinking out loud.
I realize it is not likely to be a viable option.
That being said, the motors in both the Ct and Cm are designed for easy removal and re-installation so the glider can be flown sans motor without to much effort.

Which is why I was thinking MAYBE it would not be too difficult to transition a Cm motor to a Ct.

Of course you'd have to know if the pylon mounts are the same, swap out the motor control panel, etc.

Thanks for any useful feedback.

Might be worth clearing up contradictory posts... is it cT to cM, as
your heading states, or cM to cT, as your 2nd posts indicates?

In any event, worth noting that the cT and the cM share the same Solo
2350 engine. Difference is the cM has a larger diameter prop (till
folding), starter, and throttle.

Bob

Tango Whisky February 21st 20 05:30 AM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

I did ask the question Schempp-Hirth last year on behalf of a friend, and the flat answer was "no".

Mike N. February 21st 20 12:25 PM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

To clarify, Ct to Cm.
When I posted this, I thought it was unlikely to be a viable option, but wanted to ask just in case there was a path to do this.

As noted the solo motor used is the same, so in theory adding a starter, changing the prop and controls might be viable and I was exploring that option. I should have been more specific in O.P.

My apologies to Sky Surfer, I've seen a lot of sarcastic disingenuous comments on R.A.S. and mis-read your intent.

Dan Marotta February 21st 20 05:06 PM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

How about size, form factor, and weight?* How would the higher fuel
requirement affect the installation?

--
Dan, 5J

Mike N. February 21st 20 05:55 PM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

Yep, possible other factors.

Which is why I am asking for some advice.
I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who may have in depth knowledge of S.H. Ventus.

I did see the one response above that per S.H. it's a definite no.

So I'll close out this question.

Dan Marotta February 21st 20 09:37 PM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

If your glider has Experimental registration, you can try it yourself or
find people who have the skills.* There are such folks at Moriarty and,
I'm sure, other places as well.* Having read earlier in this thread that
the engine and extension mechanism are the same, I don't see why it
couldn't be done.* The prop may have longer blades and require a bigger
bay opening and you may need more fuel capacity.

I would expect the factory to say, "No".* They don't want any part of
such a modification which could open them up to liability.