-   -   Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm? (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=267471)

Mike N. February 20th 20 03:13 PM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

I am exploring the possibility of converting my Ventus Ct sustainer to Cm self launcher.

At this point just trying to determine if this is even feasible at a practical cost... ;-)

Anyway, just thinking out loud at this point.

Any information or help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike N.

Sky Surfer February 21st 20 02:55 AM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

You might try the Homebuiltairplanes.com forums. The Soaring and Electric Propulsion forums will yield lively responses.

Mike N. February 21st 20 03:15 AM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

Thanks for the sarcasm, wothless and not helpful at all, but semi typical for R.A.S.

So let me spell it out for you, can I take a Ventus Cm Solo motor and control panel, and install it in a Ct?

As I stated in my O.P. I was just thinking out loud.
I realize it is not likely to be a viable option.
That being said, the motors in both the Ct and Cm are designed for easy removal and re-installation so the glider can be flown sans motor without to much effort.

Which is why I was thinking MAYBE it would not be too difficult to transition a Cm motor to a Ct.

Of course you'd have to know if the pylon mounts are the same, swap out the motor control panel, etc.

Thanks for any useful feedback.

[email protected] February 21st 20 03:46 AM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

What's sarcastic about referring you to other forums where some soaring pilots might have ideas? Discussions aren't all necessarily about homebuilt aircraft at those forums. Not all Ventus fliers congregate here, in case you didn't know that. Maybe you're “typical" of RAS from time to time – asking a vague question, then being a jerk when somebody tries to help. Now that's worthless. Now go take your Prozac.

Bob Gibbons[_2_] February 21st 20 03:49 AM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 19:15:45 -0800 (PST), "Mike N."
wrote:

Thanks for the sarcasm, wothless and not helpful at all, but semi typical for R.A.S.

So let me spell it out for you, can I take a Ventus Cm Solo motor and control panel, and install it in a Ct?

As I stated in my O.P. I was just thinking out loud.
I realize it is not likely to be a viable option.
That being said, the motors in both the Ct and Cm are designed for easy removal and re-installation so the glider can be flown sans motor without to much effort.

Which is why I was thinking MAYBE it would not be too difficult to transition a Cm motor to a Ct.

Of course you'd have to know if the pylon mounts are the same, swap out the motor control panel, etc.

Thanks for any useful feedback.

Might be worth clearing up contradictory posts... is it cT to cM, as
your heading states, or cM to cT, as your 2nd posts indicates?

In any event, worth noting that the cT and the cM share the same Solo
2350 engine. Difference is the cM has a larger diameter prop (till
folding), starter, and throttle.

Bob

Tango Whisky February 21st 20 05:30 AM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

I did ask the question Schempp-Hirth last year on behalf of a friend, and the flat answer was "no".

Mike N. February 21st 20 12:25 PM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

To clarify, Ct to Cm.
When I posted this, I thought it was unlikely to be a viable option, but wanted to ask just in case there was a path to do this.

As noted the solo motor used is the same, so in theory adding a starter, changing the prop and controls might be viable and I was exploring that option. I should have been more specific in O.P.

My apologies to Sky Surfer, I've seen a lot of sarcastic disingenuous comments on R.A.S. and mis-read your intent.

Dan Marotta February 21st 20 05:06 PM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

How about size, form factor, and weight?* How would the higher fuel
requirement affect the installation?

--
Dan, 5J

Mike N. February 21st 20 05:55 PM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

Yep, possible other factors.

Which is why I am asking for some advice.
I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who may have in depth knowledge of S.H. Ventus.

I did see the one response above that per S.H. it's a definite no.

So I'll close out this question.

Dan Marotta February 21st 20 09:37 PM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

If your glider has Experimental registration, you can try it yourself or
find people who have the skills.* There are such folks at Moriarty and,
I'm sure, other places as well.* Having read earlier in this thread that
the engine and extension mechanism are the same, I don't see why it
couldn't be done.* The prop may have longer blades and require a bigger
bay opening and you may need more fuel capacity.

I would expect the factory to say, "No".* They don't want any part of
such a modification which could open them up to liability.

[email protected] February 22nd 20 09:18 PM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

The engine and prop are different, you will need a completely different engine bay (much bigger). Also, the turbos are direct drive while the M versions are belt-driven. All in all I would say it does not make sense.

2G February 22nd 20 09:37 PM

On Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 7:13:56 AM UTC-8, Mike N. wrote:
I am exploring the possibility of converting my Ventus Ct sustainer to Cm self launcher.

At this point just trying to determine if this is even feasible at a practical cost... ;-)

Anyway, just thinking out loud at this point.

Any information or help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike N.

Have you contacted Shemp-Hirth about doing this? That would be the very first step, IMO. Generally, these kind of projects turn out to be much more complex than you ever envision - might be easier to just sell your Ct and buy a Cm. Also, the resale value on such a conversion is problematic.

Tom

Mike N. February 22nd 20 11:56 PM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

I really like my Ct, just looking for the added convenience of self launching.

As I noted in earlier posts I was kind of thinking out loud here, knowing it was likely not going to work.

So I appreciate the responses but I think this idea is dead for me.

[email protected] February 23rd 20 12:10 AM

On Saturday, 22 February 2020 21:18:10 UTC, wrote:
The engine and prop are different, you will need a completely different engine bay (much bigger). Also, the turbos are direct drive while the M versions are belt-driven. All in all I would say it does not make sense.

As well as that, it won't be simply a matter of cutting a bigger hole. There will be different reinforcement along the edge, and possibly thicker belts lower down inside.

Overall perhaps not quite impossible, but too much work to make it cost effective.

Emir Sherbi February 23rd 20 01:01 PM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

For me, of course, all the problems solves with electric motors. Is not the final solution, but is a solution.
If you don't mind much about the range reduction, you can migrate to an electric system. The hardest part is making the hole in the fuselage, something that you already have.

Regards

[email protected] February 23rd 20 03:20 PM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

Maybe....
Take Ventus CT and:
Change solo engine fro a single carburator to 2 carburators for max thrust-possible
Add throttle lever in cockpit-difficult
Start engine with a rope start or hand starting-maybe ? possible ? not easy
Jump into glider and takeoff-looks easy but..prop not efficient for low speed, very very long ground run, very low climb rate. Do you have a test pilot rating ?

To change CT engine to CM engine required a new pylon, larger opening in fuselage, add throttle lever in cockpit. Very difficult

Dan

Bert Van Eyken February 23rd 20 05:16 PM

Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

I think it easier to score a totaled CM fuselage and convert it that way..