-   -   Landing on the Hudson is cool. Check this out (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=278664)

Doug Levy September 26th 20 05:48 AM

Landing on the Hudson is cool. Check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlkCofOyxUA

2G September 26th 20 09:03 PM

On Friday, September 25, 2020 at 9:48:36 PM UTC-7, Doug Levy wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlkCofOyxUA

That's pretty cartoonish - here is the accident investigation report:
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca...e011083519.pdf
The bottom line is that all those involved had exactly zero training in how to do metric fuel load calculations.

Tom

Steve Bralla September 26th 20 11:08 PM

Landing on the Hudson is cool. Check this out

On Friday, September 25, 2020 at 9:48:36 PM UTC-7, Doug Levy wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlkCofOyxUA

If anyone wants to read the book about this (Freefall by William and Marilyn Hoffer) just pay for shipping (~$8) I'll send you mine.

Steve

Martin Gregorie[_6_] September 27th 20 12:32 AM

On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 21:48:33 -0700, Doug Levy wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlkCofOyxUA

Colour me mystified: what of earth has the Hudson to do with the Gimli
Glider?

The Hudson was Sullenberger's show. BTW, I seem to remember that at the
time he was said to have no glider experience, but that's wrong:
apparently he did have a glider rating at the time and (later?) became a
CFIG, so about the only connection is that the P1 for both the Gimli and
Hudson incidents were glider pilots.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

kinsell September 27th 20 04:28 PM

On 9/26/20 5:32 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 21:48:33 -0700, Doug Levy wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlkCofOyxUA

Colour me mystified: what of earth has the Hudson to do with the Gimli
Glider?

The Hudson was Sullenberger's show. BTW, I seem to remember that at the
time he was said to have no glider experience, but that's wrong:
apparently he did have a glider rating at the time and (later?) became a
CFIG, so about the only connection is that the P1 for both the Gimli and
Hudson incidents were glider pilots.

Pardon me playing Captain Obvious, but the both involve landing
airliners with no power and no loss of life. But none of this is
exactly breaking news.

One thing that was interesting from the Gimli incident that wasn't
covered in that clip, the 767 had in-op fuel gauges and was allowed to
make the flight. Not the primary cause of the accident, but would have
provided much earlier notification of a problem than having an engine
flame out.

-Dave

Dan Marotta September 27th 20 05:32 PM

Landing on the Hudson is cool. Check this out

The last Boeing I flew was the 727 and it had fuel gauges behind a panel
on the under side of the right wing.* There was also a calibrated drip
stick.* I imagine the 767 has similar provisions and I also imagine that
the aircraft's MEL does not include the fuel gauges in the cockpit.* But
then I'm just imagining things...* In the first article I read about
this incident, a long time ago, they mentioned the inoperative cockpit
gauges and I think it mentioned that the flight was legal with no
in-cockpit gauges.

On 9/27/2020 9:28 AM, kinsell wrote:
[...]

Dan, 5J

2G September 27th 20 05:33 PM

On Sunday, September 27, 2020 at 8:28:45 AM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
[...]

That is covered extensively in the accident report. The pilots violated the Minimum Equipment List, making it an illegal flight. The incident would never have occurred if their fuel computer was working, or if they used the correct specific gravity for fuel (they used the value for lb/l instead of kg/l, resulting in the loading of less than half the fuel required).

Tom

kinsell September 27th 20 08:21 PM

Landing on the Hudson is cool. Check this out

Here's the Cliff Notes version of the report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEUQeaa1bhY

They could have had a working fuel gauge if a technician hadn't restored
a circuit breaker as part of a trouble-shooting exercise.

So yes it was not airworthy, but it wasn't as simple as the captain
saying "Screw the MEL, we're going anyway".

Michael Opitz September 28th 20 04:34 PM

At 16:32 27 September 2020, Dan Marotta wrote:
The last Boeing I flew was the 727 and it had fuel gauges behind a

panel
on the under side of the right wing.* There was also a calibrated drip
stick.* I imagine the 767 has similar provisions and I also imagine that

the aircraft's MEL does not include the fuel gauges in the cockpit.* But

then I'm just imagining things...* In the first article I read about
this incident, a long time ago, they mentioned the inoperative cockpit
gauges and I think it mentioned that the flight was legal with no
in-cockpit gauges.

Dan,

That was just it. The dripsticks do read in Pounds, and the crew
thought that because they were in Canada, the sticks would be
reading in Kilos. The crew assumed wrong by a factor of 2.2,
so they had less than half the fuel than they thought when they
had finished fueling. Lots of errors... Obviously no before fueling
dripstick readings, or paper calculations after getting the fuel offload
receipt from the fuel truck, etc....

RO