-   -   Flaps/No flaps...practical difference?? (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=260130)

[email protected] August 12th 19 11:21 PM

Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

For simple long pleasure flights in the western US or for the rare flights in the Alps would I notice any real PRACTICAL difference between a Discus 2c and other flapped 18m ships? I have NO interest in competition. Thanks

JS[_5_] August 12th 19 11:50 PM

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 3:21:23 PM UTC-7, wrote:
For simple long pleasure flights in the western US or for the rare flights in the Alps would I notice any real PRACTICAL difference between a Discus 2c and other flapped 18m ships? I have NO interest in competition. Thanks

One consideration is what to do when a tow is too slow and not getting faster, particularly when full of water.
Pull in an extra notch of flaps, or...
Jim

Dan Marotta August 13th 19 01:05 AM

Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

You'll have something to do with your left hand.

--
Dan, 5J

Gary Wayland August 13th 19 01:24 AM

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 6:21:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
For simple long pleasure flights in the western US or for the rare flights in the Alps would I notice any real PRACTICAL difference between a Discus 2c and other flapped 18m ships? I have NO interest in competition. Thanks

Well, on that pleasure flight, as he blows by you at 100 knots. When are we not in competition? And, the pilot has the same wingspan to do it...

Now, if you get a Libelle, you can out thermal them all!

"SQ"

George Haeh August 13th 19 02:34 AM

Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

Landing flaps in Schleicher ships give you a nice steep approach and aileron control once on the ground.

Negative flap helps with aileron control in the initial ground run on aerotow.

But each available flap setting gives you another opportunity to get it wrong.

Exceeding maximum speed for a given flap setting can make bad things happen. Pay attention to the white triangles on the airspeed.

Brett August 13th 19 03:22 AM

[quote=Brett;997703]I have about 500 hours in a D2C (18m). And a number of 18m flapped gliders since. The D2C is a beautiful sailplane to fly and very competitive. If you fly under 100kts it gives very little away to a V2cx.
I had no problems towing full of water or landing short. Very docile handling.
AND it will easily out-climb a Libelle.
I highly recommend it for your type of flying.

Brett

[email protected][_1_] August 13th 19 05:02 AM

Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

What George and JS said and in addition, landing speed and the angle of attack needed to lift off at high wing loadings.

6PK August 13th 19 10:12 PM

Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

Snip/paste: "AND it will easily out-climb a Libelle. "
I very much doubt that....!

Gary Wayland August 14th 19 02:35 AM

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 2:43:09 AM UTC-4, Brett wrote:
Brett;997703 Wrote:
I have about 500 hours in a D2C (18m). And a number of 18m flapped
gliders since. The D2C is a beautiful sailplane to fly and very
competitive. If you fly under 100kts it gives very little away to a
V2cx.
I had no problems towing full of water or landing short. Very docile
handling.
AND it will easily out-climb a Libelle.
I highly recommend it for your type of flying.

Brett

--
Brett

Who was the slug in that Libelle? No one can out thermal a Libelle! lol

Just kidding... I have a sweet spot for the Libelle. My first Sailplane. 250 hours that first year. She was a fun machine... No plane in that era ever flew through that glider in a thermal...

For the money, based on the thermal aspects and pure fun, I can't think any other plane that matches it that was in standard class for its time. I'm biased, of course...

Gary
"SQ"
ASW27b

Gary Wayland August 14th 19 02:38 AM

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 5:12:37 PM UTC-4, 6PK wrote:
Snip/paste: "AND it will easily out-climb a Libelle. "
I very much doubt that....!

Ok, we are friends! Viva la Libelle!