-   Piloting (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Need A Definition (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=17367)

Jay Beckman May 10th 04 08:44 AM

Need A Definition

Hi All...

I came across a term the other day I'm not familiar with...

Back in WWII, when a new plane came off the assembly line, a WAC would take
it up and "Slow Time" it.

What was/is "Slow Timing" an airplane?

Was it for single-engine fighters only, or was this something done to all
aircraft?

TIA,

Jay Beckman
Student Pilot - KCHD
17.4 Hrs ... Nowhere to go but up!

C J Campbell May 10th 04 04:19 PM

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Hi All...

I came across a term the other day I'm not familiar with...

Back in WWII, when a new plane came off the assembly line, a WAC would

take
it up and "Slow Time" it.

What was/is "Slow Timing" an airplane?

Was it for single-engine fighters only, or was this something done to all
aircraft?

It was running the engine at reduced power to break it in after maintenance
had been performed on it. It was done even after such simple measures as
cleaning and gapping the spark plugs. You did not want to introduce the
engine to the high stress of combat flying until it had been run in for a
few hours. Slow-timing was not necessarily done in flight; there are
paintings and photos of rows of B-17s all sitting on the ramp slow-timing
their engines.

The engine was not run at a constant speed, but varied, and sometimes run on
just one magneto for periods of up to one minute (you can get an argument
going about whether running on one mag is good or bad for the engine).
Although all airplanes needed slow-timing, temperamental aircraft such as
the P-51 needed it more.

Modern engines still require a break-in period, using mineral oil for the
first 50 hours or so. It is still a good idea to slow-time a new engine on a
trainer aircraft, avoiding maneuvers such as touch and goes for a few hours
until the engine is broken in.

Jay Beckman May 10th 04 07:38 PM

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks C J

Now I know!

Jay

Jay Honeck May 10th 04 10:30 PM

few hours. Slow-timing was not necessarily done in flight; there are
paintings and photos of rows of B-17s all sitting on the ramp slow-timing
their engines.

Can't you just imagine the glorious cacophony of sound coming from all of
those wonderful radial engines?

Man, to have witnessed that would have been something...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Big John May 11th 04 04:41 PM

CJ

All ever heard on "slow timing" (and I flew a number of missions like
that) was airborne flight. May have been some extended running on
ground but don't beleive it was called "slow timing".

Extenced running on the ground (both lqiuid and air cooled) did not
give same cooling as during flight.

Those missions were rather boring (round and round the flag pole) and
lots of pilots made excuses to not fly and others had to do the 'dirty
deed' :o)

Your corrrect on power setting. We would run at slow cruise for maybe
30 minutes and then full throttle for 5 minutes and then back to slow
cruise. I forget but times may have been different (10 minutes slow
cruise - one minute full throtle, etc., etc.)?

Y'all have a nice day.

Big John