Search: Posts made by: Dan Marotta
Forum: Soaring August 17th 18, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
What magic do the JS3 and Ventus 3 have that the ASG-29 Does not?

Can't you pay the quoted price when you place the order and have it
contractually fixed?

On 8/17/2018 9:02 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 5:43:09 AM UTC-7, Brett...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 18, 03:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Again!

You're right about the lift!¬* One gloomy winter's day back in the 80s
when I was new to gliding and was the only glider up, I climbed over a
burning trash dump.¬* The lift was there, but the smell...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 18, 03:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
What magic do the JS3 and Ventus 3 have that the ASG-29 Does not?

Well, $190K really is much less expensive than $250K, but it's still a
lot of money.

On 8/17/2018 1:50 AM, Brett wrote:
Bojack J4;974727 Wrote:
Quarter million dollars.....yikes!!!
Both the...
Forum: Soaring August 16th 18, 11:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Again!

Thank you, Charlie, for adding a little chuckle to this bitching thread.

My gripe is about all the TFRs out west due to wild fires.¬* The
visibility absolutely sucks, only about 40 miles.¬* How can...
Forum: Soaring August 16th 18, 03:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Perlan High Altitude Tow Plane

Was that Gary Powers climbing into the Egrett?¬* Nah...¬* Couldn't have been.

On 8/15/2018 7:32 PM, AS wrote:
On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 11:18:01 PM UTC-4, Frank Whiteley wrote:
Forum: Soaring August 14th 18, 03:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Flying with Parachutes

That's faulty logic and that CFIG was making a joke.

On 8/14/2018 8:50 AM, Duster wrote:
That said, equally untrue is, as another famous CFIG once said, there's a 50/50 chance of dying each time...
Forum: Soaring August 14th 18, 03:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Need Help

Get it inspected and fly it!¬* I just flew a Cessna 182 from Sandia East
Airpark (east of Albuquerque) to Yoder, KS (Sunflower Aerodrome) for a
friend who had retired and moved.¬* The plane had not...
Forum: Soaring August 12th 18, 04:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Flying with Parachutes

I've jumped out of a Cessna-182 with a sport rig which is much larger
than an emergency parachute.¬* Of course it had a jump door and no seats,
which made it much easier.

Recently, I ferried a...
Forum: Soaring August 12th 18, 04:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Flying with Parachutes

On 8/11/2018 10:58 PM, wrote:
I also think that in case of a crash or a forced landing in remote country the parachute canopy might come in useful on the ground.

It's about...
Forum: Soaring August 12th 18, 01:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Skysight Question

The problem went away...

On 8/11/2018 3:05 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 5:25:49 PM UTC+2, JS wrote:
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 8:07:15 AM UTC-7, Dan...
Forum: Soaring August 11th 18, 04:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Skysight Question

Lately I've noticed a gray "X" in the center of my screen while using
Skysight.¬* Every thing seems to work and I think I'm current in my
subscription.¬* Any ideas?
--
Dan, 5J
Forum: Soaring August 9th 18, 04:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Good advice about a mentor.¬* If you can find an experienced XC pilot
with a ship of similar performance to yours and who is willing to take
you by the hand and lead you around a course, you're...
Forum: Soaring August 9th 18, 04:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Got it fixed!¬* The problem was that I removed the updater file from the
stick a long time ago and this was the first time I tried to make a
change and I simply forgot how.¬* I'm a systems...
Forum: Soaring August 8th 18, 06:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yup, I knew that.¬* I created the file in a text editor and it added the
..txt suffix by default.¬* I changed that.

I think the problem is with the stick format and the lack of the
ClearNav...
Forum: Soaring August 8th 18, 04:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well, I tried using a .txt suffix and the file was not found by the
simulator.¬* I changed the suffix back to .sua and was able to load and
view the TFRs on the simulator.

I'll try again at the...
Forum: Soaring August 8th 18, 04:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jim,

I'm pretty sure I've done everything exactly as you described except for
using the .txt suffix instead of .sua.¬* I'll give that a try.

Thanks,
Dan

On 8/8/2018 9:23 AM, JS wrote:
On...
Forum: Soaring August 8th 18, 04:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I hope someone can help.¬* I'm in Montrose, CO on a gliding safari and
there are several fire TFRs in the area.¬* I have created a TFR file but
can't figure out how to load it into my ClearNav II...
Forum: Soaring August 7th 18, 05:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

Steve, you're right.¬* I was considering enough altitude to stuff the
nose down and recover.

On 8/7/2018 9:08 AM, Steve Koerner wrote:
On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 7:52:39 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta...
Forum: Soaring August 7th 18, 03:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

Releasing is always an option.¬* I would rather land straight ahead,
maneuvering just enough to avoid any hard things on the ground than
stalling on tow.¬* That will kill you.¬* Taking off the...
Forum: Soaring August 6th 18, 03:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

On 8/6/2018 7:47 AM, kirk.stant wrote:
Big Snip¬* Makes the tow more interesting than just a drag around the
local area waiting for 3000' AGL to appear on the clock...
Cheers,

66

As an...
Forum: Soaring August 1st 18, 12:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Ultimate Survival Pack

WAY TO GO, Herb.¬* I got a belly laugh out of your comment!¬* No, really!

On 7/31/2018 12:03 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 10:53:45 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I...
Forum: Soaring July 31st 18, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Ultimate Survival Pack

I just learned about this really great survival pack from Switzerland.¬*
It's appears to be more useful than their Army Knife. They are currently
being offered for free and I'm sure all of us cheap...
Forum: Soaring July 30th 18, 03:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Silent Skies

It's not possible to have a conversation with one of you, is there? But
it would be nice if you guys would simply keep your venom to yourselves
for a change.¬* You lost, fairly, get over it.

On...
Forum: Soaring July 26th 18, 06:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
A complicated question about LiFePO4 batteries, - and switching.

Right on, Mark.

As a former jet jockey, myself, I prefer simplicity and fewer switches.¬*
And, whereas one big battery would be nice (forgetting single point
failures), space quickly becomes an...
Forum: Soaring July 25th 18, 11:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
tophat (xcsoar) and LX7007 (pro igc)

If the 7007 has a serial port, get a K6BT and hook them together via
bluetooth.

On 7/25/2018 2:16 PM, wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to find a way to connect android device with...