Search: Posts made by: T[_2_]
Forum: Soaring February 24th 13, 03:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
Who's up for a safari?

Dan, tow on up to Jean and join the group there..
We know you both know the way..
Bill

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:00:51 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
Me, me, me, me, me...!

I've...
Forum: Soaring February 23rd 13, 04:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
Who's up for a safari?

Fred, We'll be ready to tow you when you stop at Jean.
Normally our club only tows on Sat and Sun, but we may be able to scare up a mid week tow pilot with advance notice. We do have a couple of...
Forum: Soaring February 16th 13, 04:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
FAA Notice N8900.204 - English Proficiency

FSDO or DPE can issue a Student Pilot certificate for students learning in aircraft that do not require a medical evaluation.
Gliders, Balloon, and I think Light Sport airplane. It will state,...
Forum: Soaring February 13th 13, 01:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
Progress on updating training gliders and new winch operations?

Our updates this year is to install transponders in club gliders. We've made the purchase, now for the install.
With the expansion of the local Class B, moving our airport under a shelf, previously...
Forum: Soaring February 13th 13, 01:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
FAA Notice N8900.204 - English Proficiency

Yes, but all CFIs get caught up with the FAA Notice to do the FAA's job for them.

So sure, I'll sign an 8710 recommending a check ride, and warn the FAA or DPE that this guy may have problems...
Forum: Soaring February 13th 13, 12:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
FAA Notice N8900.204 - English Proficiency

I discussed this with some fellow CFIs. We figured if a student was having trouble with English, the training would not go well, and we would not be signing them off for a check ride.

So what would...
Forum: Soaring January 16th 13, 03:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
Janus 2-seat glider as a club glider?

It depends on the makeup of your club. A lot of primary students? A handful of glider for them.
A lot of rated pilots that want to learn or are qualified for high performance glass? A good...
Forum: Soaring January 3rd 13, 03:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
New Year's Day soaring?

Must login to Facebook to view your page. So it is not viewable.

Forum: Soaring January 1st 13, 01:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
Some Soaring Questions!

Compare the speed at which best Ld occurs. Also compare the Ld curve.
Some drop off faster than others. A steeper curve vs a flat curve.
A flat curve would maintain a higher Ld at faster speeds.

I...
Forum: Soaring December 14th 12, 01:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
See you on google

There is a program called "IGC Replay" that will play the igc file on google earth. No need to convert to kmz.
Just google it ito find it.

Forum: Soaring November 27th 12, 01:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
Looking for the 3 gull logo

On Nov 26, 9:50*am, Pat Russell wrote:
In the old days, the international symbol for our sport was a blue
medallion with three stylized white gulls. *The medallion was...
Forum: Soaring November 16th 12, 05:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
Number of aero tows in 2011

On Nov 15, 11:59*am, Bill D wrote:
Please keep the 2011 total tow reports coming.

It looks like the larger operations were "early voters". *Since then a string of "0" tow...
Forum: Soaring November 13th 12, 02:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
ADS-B out with a non TSO'd 1201 GPS sensor?

On Nov 12, 9:41*am, wrote:
How does a FAA radar confirm if a non TSO'd GPS is connected to a mode S, ADS-B out transponder?

Wonder if we'll soon see a transponder, ELT,or...
Forum: Soaring November 13th 12, 02:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
Tow Pilot Checkouts, Rough-Field Tri-Gears?

On Nov 12, 4:28*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
All -

Do any of the USA folks here on RAS operate in a club without a 2-seat
towplane? *If so, how do you check out new towpilots?...
Forum: Soaring November 5th 12, 04:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
Number of aero tows in 2011

On Nov 4, 8:16*pm, Bill D wrote:
I'm working on some numbers for SSA Growth and Development. *I need a SWAG as to how many aero tows were made in the US in 2011. *Anyone care...
Forum: Soaring October 29th 12, 11:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
The ideal towplane?

Mmm, take a wing runner, and then leave him behind?
Have to run real quick to catch a ride home while running wings. :)
Forum: Soaring October 29th 12, 11:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
Canopy gas spring LS4, USA

Chris at Pacific Aero Sports can get your part.
Forum: Soaring October 20th 12, 03:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
SSA Board Meeting in Charlotte 10-20-12

On Oct 19, 2:27*pm, Craig Funston
wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2012 9:37:01 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 10/19/2012 8:27 AM, Steve Leonard wrote:

Forum: Soaring October 19th 12, 05:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
Pawnee Center Fuel Tank Conversion

On Oct 18, 3:23*pm, wrote:
On Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:58:59 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Planning to convert D Model fuel system to C Model gravity fed center fuel...
Forum: Soaring September 27th 12, 01:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
LiFePO4 batteries

Are these batteries safer than the LiPo used in RC aircraft? There have been bad fires when charging LiPO and fireproof containers are recommended.
Forum: Soaring September 2nd 12, 02:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
Fiberglass glider repair in Southern California?

Farther north, Rex Mayes at Williams, well worth the trip.
Forum: Soaring September 2nd 12, 02:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
Effect on CG of tail dolly left on in flight

Or waited until a more reasonable altitude, like maybe TPA, to advise them of the tail dolly.
Forum: Soaring August 28th 12, 03:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
Rope Break!

On Aug 27, 6:51*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Monday, August 27, 2012 6:45:24 PM UTC-7, T wrote:
On Aug 27, 8:13*am, Waveguru wrote:

It didn't...
Forum: Soaring August 28th 12, 02:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
Rope Break!

On Aug 27, 8:13*am, Waveguru wrote:
It didn't actually break, it came loose from the towplane end. *It happened at 800ft tho, so it was no big deal. *I did manage to hang on...
Forum: Soaring August 26th 12, 01:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By T[_2_]
LVVSA Roach Dry Lake Fall Auto-Tow Extravaganza

We camp on the lake bed. There are 3 hotels in Primm and 1 in Jean.
Camping out is part of the event.

Ground launch endorsements are possible. Club members first.