Forum: Soaring July 1st 20, 09:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ceramic Sealants

What a great question!
I have been trying them on my various cars and am very impressed with a few products. I mean, incredible water beading for six months and more for cars kept outside. Highly...
Forum: Soaring June 30th 20, 01:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oudie with constant flarm warnings

And WHY does one have a Flarm?
Forum: Soaring April 7th 20, 05:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oudie gear warning?

I have installed the Tassman audio gear warning system.
You record your own voice.
So..if I extend the spoilers without the gear lowered my voice says, "put the gear down stupid, push the lever...
Forum: Soaring April 7th 20, 03:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oudie gear warning?

Be very careful with gear warnings that are integrated into a navigation suite. I have an S80. My behavior during approach to landings is to turn down the volume on my nav systems when entering the...
Forum: Soaring March 25th 20, 02:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
They closed the airport!!!!!

On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 9:40:35 AM UTC-7, Soartech wrote:
What airport?

Williams, CA
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 20, 03:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
They closed the airport!!!!!

Who would have thought.
Manditory quarantine for 14 days after returning from a vacation.
At least the airport has social distancing built into the space and culture. But no...manditory closure...oh...
Forum: Soaring November 25th 19, 12:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra Trailer Fenders

It hurts to replace tires that look like new, but....
Just buy new tires every five years.
Rubber rots.
All tire manufacturers advise replacing tires at five years.
Much cheaper than new fenders and...
Forum: Soaring September 21st 19, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waxing and polishing - Polisher?

A couple suggestions.
First, place painters tape over all control seal edges. Consider doing the same where your gap sealing tape will be placed because with some waxes the gap tape will not...
Forum: Soaring August 14th 19, 02:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

I transitioned from a flapped ship to an LS8-18. No regrets.
Unless you are flat out racing, the simplicity and predictability of a modern unflapped ship are wonderful to me. Only if going nose to...
Forum: Soaring July 1st 19, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Could it be the first thousand km day at Williams?

Kempton,
JUST PLAIN AWESOME!!!
Congratulations.
Forum: Soaring November 5th 18, 11:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
looking for advice on lead n follow flights

I have flown at St. Auban France many times. They use lead and follow for instruction and as a way to check-out pilots before they let them fly cross-country on their own. The instructor flew a two...
Forum: Soaring November 5th 18, 02:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LiFePO4 chargers

You should take a look at the CTEK Lithium US charger.
Fully automatic.
Performs battery testing.
Can leave on float.
Forum: Soaring September 10th 18, 09:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flying Gliders in Europe: Medical Requirements

Absolutely true.
But, I think it is safe to say that is going to be a very rare thing for a USA pilot to ship their plane to europe to fly for a couple of weeks.
With places like St. Auban that have...
Forum: Soaring September 9th 18, 09:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flying Gliders in Europe: Medical Requirements

I have been flying in Europe for some time. In the EU, the standard is the FAA Class 2 Medical Certificate. They will not honor a Class 3 or a clearance letter.

An alternative in France is to...
Forum: Soaring August 15th 18, 09:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flying with Parachutes

The airbag comment is interesting.
Several good quality studies have looked at the impact of airbags on deaths in motor vehicle accidents. The interesting statistics have to do with the use of...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 18, 03:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S80- Vario/altimeter setup: Electronic compensation (internalsensors) or TE Probe?

My LS-8 was set-up the same way from the factory. The front static ports are for the flight instruments.
I used the boom statics for my S80.
They work very well.
There was a comment about dumping...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 18, 04:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flying with Parachutes

This is a fun discussion.
I promised my wife many decades ago that I would always wear a parachute when flying.
I had an biannual to fly in my aeroclub. The plane was a 182. The instructor gave me...
Forum: Soaring August 11th 18, 04:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S80- Vario/altimeter setup: Electronic compensation (internalsensors) or TE Probe?

I have used the S80 for 4-5 years. I installed it as soon as it was released.

I like completely redundant systems.
I have my Winter vario on the total energy system with flask.
I have the S80 on...
Forum: Soaring July 23rd 18, 07:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Spray insulation for aluminum trailers

Thank you.
This is the first concrete suggestion/example of a method and materials to insulate the aluminum top.
Forum: Soaring July 22nd 18, 03:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Spray insulation for aluminum trailers

That's it! That is all this forum has to offer on the subject of applying spray insulation to an aluminum top trailer. After all the discussion of Aluminum vs fiberglass?
I guess that implies that...
Forum: Soaring July 20th 18, 08:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Spray insulation for aluminum trailers

How does one go about having insulation installed inside an aluminum trailer?
Are there specific spray-on materials that are commonly applied that auto repair/painting shops would know how to work...
Forum: Soaring July 20th 18, 03:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra trailer aluminum vs fiberglass top

How does one go about having insulation installed inside an aluminum trailer?
Are there specific spray-on materials that are commonly applied that auto repair/painting shops would know how to work...
Forum: Soaring July 18th 18, 10:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Home built trailer for old glass ship

I my experience and opinion, the trailer is more important than the plane.
A pain in the ass trailer than cuts your head/hands/ankles when trying to get the plane in and out is worthless.
Forum: Soaring July 16th 18, 02:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Experimental Letter

A copy of the program letter as well as a copy of your operating limitations that were issued with your experimental certificate must be in the aircraft.
Forum: Soaring July 9th 18, 01:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Trailer shade

A small pole barn should do the trick.