Search: Posts made by: Brian[_1_]
Forum: Soaring May 21st 21, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
replacement instruments

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 6:57:58 AM UTC-6, Phoenix wrote:
I'm yanking my Lnav / GPSnav from my panel and am installing a CN2 on a RAM. I'd like to fill some of the holes with something that is...
Forum: Soaring April 15th 21, 11:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Butterfly Display V4.0 intermittent FLARMnet ID display - V4.1x3

On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 4:49:29 PM UTC-6, Tim Taylor wrote:
Dave,

Everything worked well yesterday, I could see Flarm ID. Thank you for the update. Also, thanks for adding the PEV...
Forum: Soaring March 23rd 21, 05:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Wing Drop, Aerotow vs Winch, Grass vs Pavement.

On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 6:57:59 PM UTC-6, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 17:41:30 -0700, waremark wrote:

At my club we try to emphasise that the wing runner should not...
Forum: Soaring March 23rd 21, 05:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Wing Drop, Aerotow vs Winch, Grass vs Pavement.

On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 10:50:24 AM UTC-6, Aldo Cernezzi wrote:
I suggest everyone have a look at this accident report from France.
It is significant and unusual, as a tow operation lead to...
Forum: Soaring March 20th 21, 04:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Wing Drop, Aerotow vs Winch, Grass vs Pavement.

@nadler.com wrote:
On 3/19/2021 8:26 PM, Brian wrote:
Excuse me while I turn the short "Always release on Wing Drop" into a long discussion. I least my discussion is long. But like the...
Forum: Soaring March 20th 21, 01:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Wing Drop, Aerotow vs Winch, Grass vs Pavement.

Excuse me while I turn the short "Always release on Wing Drop" into a long discussion. I least my discussion is long. But like the "Impossible Turn" for power aircraft I suspect the real answer is...
Forum: Soaring December 30th 20, 04:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Solar panel controller

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 8:42:19 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
Any ideas for Strobl controller replacement? The voltage is not enough for LFP battery. Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/10 looks good, but...
Forum: Soaring December 30th 20, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Solar panel controller

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 8:42:19 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
Any ideas for Strobl controller replacement? The voltage is not enough for LFP battery. Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/10 looks good, but...
Forum: Soaring November 24th 20, 04:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Android Galaxy note device for xcsoar ?

I use a Galaxy Tab A 7, it has as good of sunlight readability as I have seen in a tablet and works well. I use Tophat, but should work fine with XCSoar.

Brian
Forum: Soaring October 18th 20, 03:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

@On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 7:35:10 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Folks,
I'm former USAF and have really enjoyed flying gliders. I love this topic as it has mystified me and I've...
Forum: Soaring October 17th 20, 03:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

IMO the aero dynamic forces are mostly not relevant to the brake sizing.
Since you should have a theoretical Drag number and be able calculate about how much drag your airframe and drag devices...
Forum: Soaring September 21st 20, 08:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Hp-18 Glider: leaving it tied outside, not in trailer

On Monday, September 21, 2020 at 11:13:57 AM UTC-6, wrote:
That entire glider is held together with epoxy, and the fuselage from the trailing edge to the nose is polyester matrix...
Forum: Soaring August 10th 20, 02:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
LS6 canopy gas spring

You might also look at the struts on the front access door of the a cobra trailer. I seem to recall they used the same end fitting or possibly one I thought I could make work.
Forum: Soaring August 10th 20, 01:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
LS6 canopy gas spring

As I recall you are correct. I was able to find a 2nd end from another strut that had been retired.
Might be able find a suitable end online.
Brian
Forum: Soaring August 9th 20, 01:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
LS6 canopy gas spring

Try a 12.8 “ Strong Arm 4540 Lift support ~850N. Will likely have M6 ends and need a M6 to M8 adaptor and use the fittings from your old...
Forum: Soaring August 5th 20, 08:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Super Cub Tow Release Position Improvement

Brian, the mount should be easily reached and released from the tow pilots position while securely strapped into the tow plane. As Walt has stated, "it is about time", more tow planes need to be...
Forum: Soaring August 4th 20, 03:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Super Cub Tow Release Position Improvement

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 6:57:20 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Nice to see people waking up. No system is 100 percent fool proof but any release handle not IMMEDIATELY available to the...
Forum: Soaring July 26th 20, 11:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
question about 303 Mosquito canopy operation

The slot is probably what I missed when I was modeling it. The local 303 had been gone for a number of years before thought about putting this system on the HP. So I could only do it from memory.
Forum: Soaring July 26th 20, 03:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
question about 303 Mosquito canopy operation

I looked into it for my HP16. As I recall the front arms is shorter and rotate almost 180 degrees (maybe 160, would require some modeling to determine the geometry). The back arms longer (maybe...
Forum: Soaring July 17th 20, 09:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
27 crash at Ely?

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 2:00:21 PM UTC-6, wrote:
It’s so alarming to see so many guys on YouTube flying super close to ridges at such low airspeeds.

Youtube Video's...
Forum: Soaring May 18th 20, 03:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

FLY THE AIRPLANE sounds good on the ground, and is accurate. But seldom mentioned is this might not be that simple.

Losing hat and glasses and anything else loose in the cockpit might make flying it...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 20, 11:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Several responses on how the release should be configured to improve response time of a release for Pawnee. Which is interesting since it wasn't a Pawnee this occurred with.
Any...
Forum: Soaring April 25th 20, 02:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Glider Purchase Procedure - Annual & Pre Purchase Inspection?

Best plan if you can make it happen is have the mechanic that is going to be doing your inspections do a pre-buy on the ship, or an Annual inspection would be better. At a minimum talk to this person...
Forum: Soaring April 23rd 20, 09:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Flight review

Wings still shows mine expiring 3/31/2020.
It was renewed in 2018 by renewing my CFI with an examiner.

Fortunately I did a flight review early in March and have it signed off in my log book. Wings...
Forum: Soaring April 19th 20, 03:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Brian[_1_]
Crazy Idea # 54-1A i.e. Erase all State Soaring Records every 10 years..

We have a couple traveling trophies. I recommend you establish one or more of your own. Then you can challenge yourself to not have someone else take it away from you. Perhaps talk to your SSA State...