Search: Posts made by: Chris Reed[_2_]
Forum: Soaring July 29th 10, 11:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
need Libelle wheel installed pix

Grider Pirate wrote:
No, the standard set-up is a brake lever on the stick. The cable travel
is quite short. The brake lever looks like a standard bicycle unit.

....and is adequate for...
Forum: Soaring July 7th 10, 07:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
APRS - today tracking on the Sierras

Jack Hamilton wrote:

The rule that amateur radio operators might run into is the prohibition
against commercial use. snip
That might apply if to amateur pilots if there's prize money...
Forum: Soaring June 18th 10, 08:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
trailer wheels won't turn

Peter Scholz wrote:
You have KNOTT brake.

I have a KNOTT trailer, which I presume has KNOTT brakes as well.
Sometimes after standing over a humid winter one or both brakes locks
on. The...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 10, 11:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
Gatorade (only slightly OT)

Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 23:29:59 +0100, Chris Reed wrote:

Tony wrote:
On Jun 3, 4:08 pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
With summer,...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 10, 11:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
Gatorade (only slightly OT)

Tony wrote:
On Jun 3, 4:08 pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
With summer, season of heat, dehydration and cramps, nearly here I have a
question:

Does anybody...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 10, 08:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
Losing time in Cloud-Streets?

John Cochrane wrote:
As a rule of thumb, flying 1/2 the MC recommended by the theory/
computer
is a good strategy.

If flying 1/2 the Mc recommended by "theory" is right, that means you
Forum: Soaring May 27th 10, 11:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
Losing time in Cloud-Streets?

Tim Taylor wrote:
On May 27, 8:25 am, Nine Bravo Ground wrote:
On May 27, 4:28 am, Nine Bravo Ground wrote:

On May 26, 2:16 pm,...
Forum: Soaring April 20th 10, 09:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
physics question about pull ups

wrote:
The effect of drag on height recovery isn't too bad, but is enough to
matter.

In a low-performance glider the drag can be extremely significant. In,
say, a K8 or (I'd...
Forum: Soaring March 26th 10, 11:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
Grease recommendation

Amazon don't seem to carry this product in the UK.

As an alternative they offer me:

100ml Super Slik intimate sensual water based personal lubricant FREE UK
Delivery

I wonder if this is a...
Forum: Soaring March 1st 10, 11:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
Glider Safety

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Chris Reed wrote:
It also means that over a 40 year soaring career your probability of
being in a fatal accident is around 1 in 50, or 2% - assuming you fly
the...
Forum: Soaring February 28th 10, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
Glider Safety

It also means that over a 40 year soaring career your probability of
being in a fatal accident is around 1 in 50, or 2% - assuming you fly
the average annual amount of hours over the entire...
Forum: Soaring February 24th 10, 11:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
Glider Safety

Greg Arnold wrote:

I would bet that the typical instructor could learn more from the
typical XC pilot, than vice versa.

I think this rather misses the point. What you're looking for is an...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 10, 08:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
Transponder article updated with Trig info

There was a recent report in the UK press that UAVs will be permitted to
fly in Class G airspace once they are capable of autonomous collision
avoidance, and that the technology they were looking...
Forum: Soaring January 22nd 10, 11:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
IGC File / Flight-track Analysis

noel.wade wrote:
On Jan 21, 8:00 pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:

There are a number of programs that do this, such as SeeYou, simulator
software (Condor?), even...
Forum: Soaring December 13th 09, 09:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
Glider rides

Morgans wrote:
"Alistair Wright" wrote

Well, in my day (the 60's and 70's) in the UK we just made passengers sign
an indemnity form absolving the club from any...
Forum: Soaring November 25th 09, 10:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
Soaring Magazine 1937 through 1967 available online

I had to update to the latest version of Reader (9.2 I think) to access
these.

Robert Danewid wrote:
I also have Firefox 3.5.5 and Acrobat Reader 6.0 , and it does not work.
It says "Operation...
Forum: Soaring October 1st 09, 05:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
JWGC 2009 Finland

Frank Whiteley wrote:
back on topic

Uh, Frank, this post (and the others) make no sense to some readers. I
guess you might be responding to some spam, but my news provider filters
that out so...
Forum: Soaring September 14th 09, 10:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
Cherokee Kid got engaged

She's really gorgeous. Your fiancée is really gorgeous as well.

Don't show her this post or she'll find out how a pilot's priorities
stack up after 20+ years of marriage.

Tony Condon wrote:
I...
Forum: Soaring September 10th 09, 09:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
Towpilot fatality in Oregon

sisu1a wrote:
How does that work, was the towplane not in the same thermal or ridge
lift?

-Paul

Many UK thermals where I fly are narrow and sharp-edged. A couple of
weeks ago I was hurled...
Forum: Soaring September 8th 09, 09:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
OK someone help me

Brad wrote:
I do use the gps babel program to convert gdb to igc, that still
results in invalid OLC posting

Brad

I think the validation is to do with whether the logger is on the IGC...
Forum: Soaring August 26th 09, 10:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
Replacing Interior Glider Pockets?

My seamstress qualifications are roughly nil, but from the gliders I've
flown in I'd suggest:

1) What material are pockets typically made of? Anything special that
I won't find at the local...
Forum: Soaring July 23rd 09, 04:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
SAFE Winch Launching and automatic gearboxes

Chris Nicholas wrote:
Thanks for answers so far.

Derek, we have two ex-ATC winches (Eagle or Wild – not sure which), re-
equipped with USA-made V8’s and auto gearboxes. Both run on LPG or
Forum: Soaring July 20th 09, 08:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
Affordable Glider

rlovinggood wrote:
last, BUT NOT
LEAST, is condition of the trailer. Homebuilts are fine, if rigged
properly. But either a factory trailer or a homebuilt can be knuckle-
busting,...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 09, 06:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
SAFE Winch Launching

I think all (certainly almost all) UK clubs charge the equivalent of
USD10 or more. Winch launching makes a surplus, aerotowing tends to run
at a deficit, at the smaller clubs at least.

Andreas...
Forum: Soaring July 8th 09, 10:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Chris Reed[_2_]
Help. Obtaining a UK Gliding License on the basis of my AmericanLicense

Paul Jessop wrote:
... we fly this really sensible diagonal leg from
downwind to base that will scare most airport-trained US pilots senseless

I remember that the other way round - flying in the...