Search: Posts made by: Charlie Quebec
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 07:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
2019 SSA Contest Rules Pilot Opinion Poll Now Open

I can’t understand why you wouldn’t fly to FAI rules, everyone is still on a level playing field. These days at WC level a full team with a system for tracking other gliders is going to become...
Forum: Soaring October 9th 19, 01:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
gel coat

A very good AN on this subject, including expert studies showing propagation of cracks into epoxy layer. Worth a...
Forum: Soaring September 20th 19, 12:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

Just to be clear this is what I wrote.
On DG with the one piece canopy, the head rest is mounted on the canopy, and one can imagine the effect of the canopy flying forward into the back of the pilots...
Forum: Soaring September 20th 19, 12:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

I suggested is was possible, I did not say it was the cause. Can you categorically eliminate it as the cause?
Of course not.
Forum: Soaring September 16th 19, 04:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
Kawa rough landing?

The airfield I learned to fly at had a significant slope on one approach, the trick was to touch down just before the slope, on the close to level ground.
On several occasions whilst training, I...
Forum: Soaring September 16th 19, 04:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
Act now before your wings are defaced

Don’t be so sure, Canada has a navy you know.
http://www.satirewire.com/news/feb02/warship.shtml
Forum: Soaring September 16th 19, 04:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
Act now before your wings are defaced

BRILLIANT! LMFAO I am interested In your ideas, and would like to subscribe to Your newsletter.
Forum: Soaring September 16th 19, 03:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

t the construction of the headrest Nick? 5mm ply with 50mm of soft foam attached to a steel plate would not meet even basic automotive standards.
It’s cannot possibly make any contribution to...
Forum: Soaring September 16th 19, 03:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

Have you ever looked at the construction of the headrest Nick? 5mm ply with 50mm of soft foam attached to a steel plate would not meet even basic automotive standards.
It’s cannot possibly make any...
Forum: Soaring September 14th 19, 02:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

This article by GDale clearly recommends removing the headrest from this style of DG canopy. It very nearly killed him on the way off.
Quote:
“We are going down really fast. The canopy goes off....
Forum: Soaring September 14th 19, 06:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

An update on the bun fight at the headrest corral.
5 days later the airworthiness people still will not decide whether removing the headrest is legal or not.
Luckily, my wonderful club officials...
Forum: Soaring September 12th 19, 04:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

Once again 2G claims his own infallibility, and ignores the evidence of his eyes.
Forum: Soaring September 12th 19, 04:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

I assumed that it’s best to discuss safety related issues publicly, but then I should have learned from my previous experience with a club that is a safety disaster area,
so much so a previous CFI,...
Forum: Soaring September 12th 19, 03:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
Wing flex at higher speed DG-100

A twist of this nature is called washout generally. In one famous example,the Slingsby KingbKite was accidentally built with the opposite, wash in. It’s spin behaviour was character building to say...
Forum: Soaring September 10th 19, 01:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

Yeh right.
Forum: Soaring September 9th 19, 12:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
Useful info on mods from EASA

The link below is to an EASA document on the subject of many different allowable modifications to gliders. It spells out the legal procedures and methods to be used.
You may find it handy to save a...
Forum: Soaring September 9th 19, 10:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
How much does a lost aircraft logbook effect resale value?

I don’t know how you do things in the US, but here in Australia, the yearly inspection paperwork known as a form 2, must be returned to the GFA, and this contains an entry including TTIS hours and...
Forum: Soaring September 9th 19, 09:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

Further, Nick Gilbert as you have chosen to claim that removing the headrest is illegal, I’m sure you can show the documentation to back your claim that a headrest is part
of the standard...
Forum: Soaring September 9th 19, 09:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

You can spin it any way you want, but the fact is, due to angular momentum the fuselage would have accelerated when the wing touched. The glider clearly did not cartwheel, it just touched a tip then...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 19, 06:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

Had you bothered to click the link to the picture, the second one down shows clearly the glider was in a 65 degree nose down attitude when it hit.
The small damage to the wingtip and large damage to...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 19, 06:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

Then you have reading comprehension of vision problems, the photos show a small impact on the wing and clearly from the damage, the bulk of the force was on the nose, you can tell clearly from the...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 19, 09:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

Correction, the series of pictures was what I originally saw back in 2010, not video apparently,
the video shows events prior to the actual crash, my apologies.
Those who doubt about the canopy...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 19, 09:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

I actually do want to have a headrest, I’m not in any way saying a headrest is not a good thing, just the opposite.
I have a rare form of muscular dystropy that is much aided by correct neck...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 19, 08:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

THIS IS AS CLOSE AS I can find, the more revealing video, it appears it has been taken down, clearly showing the aerobatic glider striking the ground at a 60 degree angle.
This video only shows the...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 19, 04:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charlie Quebec
another crash

In news, some no life low life has reported me to the airworthiness authorities for removing the headrest.
It’s interesting, if a tall pilot removes the seat back with an integrated headrest to fit...